Thread: GDT 10/18/2020 - Game 7 vs Dodgers

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    **** the Dodgers.

I’m almost as all-in for the Rays as I was (and ever am) for the Braves.
    As much as it pains me, I'm still hoping for a Dodgers win. Imagine if they come up short again, they will be just as relentless next season.
    Still, f*** 'em. What an arrogant prick of a team.

Difference in this series came down to adjustments and fundamentals, IMO. The Dodgers made adjustments against our pitchers (e.g. Minter), while most of the Braves had the same approach and timing throughout the series (some of that certainly had to do with pitching depth). Also, the Dodgers are so damn good at the fundamentals that really matter: baserunning, fielding difficult hops, timing leaping catches, defensive positioning,...That made the difference in the end.

Also, I'm starting to believe more and more in the Atlanta curse. Not in the sense of an actual curse, but something about the culture within the sports teams that produces good-to-great teams, but never champions. Who here didn't feel deep down that the rest of this series would turn out this way when the Dodgers turned around game 5?
    Atlanta is certainly not alone. I had the same feeling in 2016 when Cleveland was up 3-1 on the Cubs. They get close, but never quite make it all the way. They get handshakes for their effort and integrity, but go home empty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    They are gonna be there next year. FA and all off-season moves need to be predicated on having a better match up vs LA next year.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Tough loss to get over. On paper it looks like they outplayed us. But the reality is we hit balls hard all night with nothing to show for it. We certainly should have won. If that ground ball that turned into that fluky double play was a few inches in either direction, we are taking a totally different game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    They need a new stadium (or city). I'm also fairly sure MLB had no desire to see the Astros in the series.
    Yankees also say hello
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Sucks, but we weren't supposed to get this far with Fried as the only reliable starter once Soroka went down. Offense also performed about as well as you could ask against a loaded Dodgers staff. Lost one of our best hitters against LHP early in the series. A couple of huge base running mistakes costs us some runs in 2 clinching games. Pretty sure we used the last of our luck in that Bryse Wilson game.

If you had told me on Aug. 5 that we would make it to game 7 of the NLCS with Fried, Anderson, and Wright as the three top pitchers in our rotation and Bryse Wilson starting game 4, I would have laughed in your face.
    Last edited by Carp; 10-19-2020 at 07:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Not having the minors this year clouds things a bit, but guys like Contreras, Waters, Shewmake, Ynoa, Wilson, Davidson have a chance to make significant contributions next season.

AA will probably just be opportunistic and do some bargain shopping this off-season. Keep some powder dry for mid-season moves. I don't think we'll see anything major such as a Bauer signing.

I'd like to see Melancon brought back. Ideally a one-year deal, but I would go two if that is what it takes.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-19-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Not having the minors this year clouds things a bit, but guys like Contreras, Waters, Shewmake, Ynoa, Wilson, Davidson have a chance to make significant contributions next season.

AA will probably just be opportunistic and do some bargain shopping this off-season. Keep some powder dry for mid-season moves. I don't think we'll see anything major such as a Bauer signing.

I'd like to see Melancon brought back. Ideally a one-year deal, but I would go two if that is what it takes.
    Well Ynoa couldn’t contribute anymore due to Kyle Wright being well.um..Kyle Wright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Can't remember who was calling for a salary cap, but I know this won't happen. Maybe instead of that, once you cross into the luxury tax area, you surrender your 1st round pick or international signings for that year. Seems this would be a way to help small market teams compete.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (10-19-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Can't remember who was calling for a salary cap, but I know this won't happen. Maybe instead of that, once you cross into the luxury tax area, you surrender your 1st round pick or international signings for that year. Seems this would be a way to help small market teams compete.
    I agree but having Tampa in the WS makes this a tough sell.

Of course, they have had to be very good for like 12 years to get there.
    Ivermectin Man

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Dodgers have a big payroll but most of their team is homegrown when you look at it. Only Turner who they developed technically, Price who isnt there right now, Betts, Trienen and Pollock only outside moves they've made. The rest are through trade/draft/developing. Everyone they bring up seems to be really good, they're not going away anytime soon. Gonna have to get through them if we ever want to get to the show.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    If we had Soroka or even a healthy Hamels, this likely wouldn't have gone past game 5. Just an unfortunate year for injuries + COVID making things difficult at the trade deadline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Dodgers have a big payroll but most of their team is homegrown when you look at it. Only Turner who they developed technically, Price who isnt there right now, Betts, Trienen and Pollock only outside moves they've made. The rest are through trade/draft/developing. Everyone they bring up seems to be really good, they're not going away anytime soon. Gonna have to get through them if we ever want to get to the show.
    We got beat fair and square. I'm not saying this bc of sour grapes. I do think it would be in the best interest of the game to adapt some sort of policy like I stated above.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    The game was our’s to be had. The base running blunder....you just can’t do that in a game seven, when runs are so hard to come by. Totally winnable game. Only thing I didn’t agree with, is bringing Minter in when he had just pitched three innings the day before last, but where do you go??

This series was stacked against us. It’s absolutely ridiculous that it’s the NLCS and we have to play seven straight games. That gives a big payroll team a massive advantage, because their reserves will be so much deeper.

I feel we were the better team...I really do. We had ONE pitcher with any playoff experience...ONE!!...and it still took every last ounce from the Dodgers to beat us.

The mistake to me was having a bullpen game after we went up 3-1. Game five was almost undoubtedly going to be a loss. We drained our bullpen and they never quite recovered. I would have come back with Wright and if he pitched well...go for the throat...if he didn’t....use mop up guys and concede.

We would have had a fresh bullpen going into the last two games. I thought this was really the only mistake. Our bullpen just seemed gassed at the most crucial time.

. Either way...proud of the Braves. It’s absolutely amazing that they made it so far with what they had rotation wise. As long as Liberty allows AA to make the moves needed....we should be a contender for the next five years (at least).

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

drewdat (10-19-2020), Mrs. Meta (10-19-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

the problem with midseason moves is that they are expensive and the Braves have shown no desire to put a big bet down. I'm not criticizing that or saying it is wrong. I'm just questioning whether it is likely the Braves score a major piece at the deadline.

Again, last season they did invest pretty significantly in the bullpen and that got them to the brink of the World Series this year despite what was really a bit of a disaster of a year in the rotation.

We haven't seen them pull the trigger on anything big though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    My instinct is to want the Dodgers to lose, but if they beat the Rays handily, it will make the Braves seem like the 2nd best team this year.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Tough loss to get over. On paper it looks like they outplayed us. But the reality is we hit balls hard all night with nothing to show for it. We certainly should have won. If that ground ball that turned into that fluky double play was a few inches in either direction, we are taking a totally different game.
    We put 25 bails in play with 2 hits to show for it last night. We made a base-running mistake and possibly putting Minter in that inning was a bad idea but the fact is random chance beat us more than anything else.
    Last edited by Garmel; 10-19-2020 at 09:22 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

Carp (10-19-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    My instinct is to want the Dodgers to lose, but if they beat the Rays handily, it will make the Braves seem like the 2nd best team this year.
    Exactly. I can’t believe people are missing this aspect of it. People are blinded by their illogical hate for the Dodgers. What is there to hate about them, exactly? It’s all just petty, sour grapes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    We put 23 bails in play with 2 hits to show for it last night. We made a base-running mistake and possibly putting Minter in that inning was a bad idea but the fact is random chance beat us more than anything else.
    We got lucky we didn’t give up more runs to the Dodgers.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Ef the Dodgers. They are a very well run team with deep pockets. Again screw them.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    We got lucky we didn’t give up more runs to the Dodgers.
    25 balls in play with 8 hits. .320 BABIP