Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast

Thread: GDT 10/18/2020 - Game 7 vs Dodgers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yankees also say hello
    First, I don't think MLB can go as far as dictating who advances. I just think they slant the playing field to try to get the most lucrative results. I think this goes for all professional sports. You don't let a little thing like the integrity of the game stop you from making a couple billion dollars. So it's possible MLB favored the Yankees against the Rays but the Rays just overcame it. Personally, I think MLB wanted a pennant for the Rays as the Rays desperately need a new stadium or else a new city. Having an exciting playoff run helps. You just have to have a major market team out of the NL.

It's similar to the Falcons Super Bowl run a couple years ago. They got helped by the refs all through the playoffs. Why would the NFL favor a mid-market team? Simple, the Falcons had a new stadium and needed to sell PSLs. The NFL helped them out. They also guaranteed a major market team out of the AFC to ensure great ratings.

I find if you look for the financial incentive, you usually wont be surprised by the results.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    25 balls in play with 8 hits. .320 BABIP
    The quality of some of their contact earlier in the game was substantial. They should have scored a few more runs. But we should have too. BABIP Gods were against us in the end.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Still stewing. This one got me good. Going to have to not watch any sports for a while.

You’re all great—even the ones of you who sometimes aren’t.

The pieces will take some time to pick up.
    Rough ending for sure. But I had more fun in these playoffs than any other since 95. It was a great ride.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (10-19-2020), jpx7 (10-19-2020)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Go Rays. ~60M payroll vs ~250M payroll WS. Literal David vs. Goliath. Living in Tampa I’ll pull for the Rays and hope for the trifecta of sports championships this year.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Go Rays. ~60M payroll vs ~250M payroll WS. Literal David vs. Goliath. Living in Tampa I’ll pull for the Rays and hope for the trifecta of sports championships this year.
    Tampa is the new Title Town

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    BABIP Gods were against us in the end.
    Yep. You're not going to win many games with a .080 BABIP unless you hit a lot of home runs.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Yep. You're not going to win many games with a .080 BABIP unless you hit a lot of home runs.
    Hurts when even your homers end up as outs.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Bluedevilruss (10-19-2020), Garmel (10-19-2020), jpx7 (10-19-2020), Tapate50 (10-20-2020)

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    So... why in the F did they not have the regular breaks built into this series?

Both teams were running on fumes at the end.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    So... why in the F did they not have the regular breaks built into this series?

Both teams were running on fumes at the end.
    Didn’t understand that part. Last years game 7 of the WS was October 30. This year October 28. They very easily could have added a day off after game 4 or something like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Because I'm a glutton for punishment, someone want to put together a video review of Muncy taking TDA out at the plate, even though he was giving him home?
    Ivermectin Man

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Didn’t understand that part. Last years game 7 of the WS was October 30. This year October 28. They very easily could have added a day off after game 4 or something like that.
    Because it's setup so games 3, 4, and 5 are Friday through Sunday on the last full weekend of Oct.

The extra wild card round is what caused there to be no off days until the WS.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Because it's setup so games 3, 4, and 5 are Friday through Sunday on the last full weekend of Oct.

The extra wild card round is what caused there to be no off days until the WS.
    I don't really care what MLB wants... the fans and teams deserved better.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyTrain For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (10-19-2020)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I mean I agree to a point. When they pushed back the season 1 week due to 9/11 they had no issues playing into November.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    MLB really does not care what TV and internet fans want. TV contracts are already in place and it is unfortunate that Braves fans are subject to maybe the worse TV contract coupled with corporate ownership. We may even be the only team in baseball with earning s in the red this year.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I mean I agree to a point. When they pushed back the season 1 week due to 9/11 they had no issues playing into November.
    I have to think negotiations with the MLBPA had something to do with playing into Nov as well as TV contracts with NFL and other sports.

Prosecutor of the
    International Criminal Court

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    This one hurts so I'm going to offer some rationalization to help ease the pain. Winning it all would have been awesome and it counts for something - but make no mistake, this was a 60 game season, half the league made the playoffs, a 29-31 team made the ALCS and the playoffs were unlike any other.

As fun as it would have been and as much as I'd have still loved it, this was not a normal season and this is not a world series on par with any other. To me saying this comes with an asterisk was always going to be an understatement. Its been a gimmick of a season. As far as I'm concerned this years winner should be deemed winner of the "2020 Baseball Tournament" and calling this a normal world series is an insult to all the teams in the past that have had to grind through 162 games and make the world series by competing against only the best teams in the playoffs.

Case and point - as much as I loved our resiliency, we literally had a 2 man rotation and survived in many part because of the 60 game season. Frankly if this year went 162 games, short of trades it just would not have been sustainable. As far as I'm concerned we took advantage of the unique season to get some monkeys off our back, finally made a post season run, made all the more clear where our improvement areas are and got critical experience to benefit us in a future season that truly counts.

That's not to take anything away from our team and for the players and I know they wanted this one as much as any. Still, there is an element to me after all these years of pain that felt getting it done in this season just wouldn't have meant what I know it will and should mean if and when we finally get it done in a proper season - and ideally with 50,000 fans ROCKING.

There...I've managed to convince myself why this loss didn't matter :)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    At least Freddie's other half can attend her baby shower now.

Little consolation to loosing the NL LCS
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    Just realized the season started and ended in a circle - In the opening game, the Braves lost a 1-run game due to Chris Martin giving up what ended up being the game winning home run.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingFor2017 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-19-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJonesATL View Post
    This one hurts so I'm going to offer some rationalization to help ease the pain. Winning it all would have been awesome and it counts for something - but make no mistake, this was a 60 game season, half the league made the playoffs, a 29-31 team made the ALCS and the playoffs were unlike any other.

As fun as it would have been and as much as I'd have still loved it, this was not a normal season and this is not a world series on par with any other. To me saying this comes with an asterisk was always going to be an understatement. Its been a gimmick of a season. As far as I'm concerned this years winner should be deemed winner of the "2020 Baseball Tournament" and calling this a normal world series is an insult to all the teams in the past that have had to grind through 162 games and make the world series by competing against only the best teams in the playoffs.

Case and point - as much as I loved our resiliency, we literally had a 2 man rotation and survived in many part because of the 60 game season. Frankly if this year went 162 games, short of trades it just would not have been sustainable. As far as I'm concerned we took advantage of the unique season to get some monkeys off our back, finally made a post season run, made all the more clear where our improvement areas are and got critical experience to benefit us in a future season that truly counts.

That's not to take anything away from our team and for the players and I know they wanted this one as much as any. Still, there is an element to me after all these years of pain that felt getting it done in this season just wouldn't have meant what I know it will and should mean if and when we finally get it done in a proper season - and ideally with 50,000 fans ROCKING.

There...I've managed to convince myself why this loss didn't matter :)
    I agree. Don’t get me wrong, I wanted to win this one, but not nearly as bad as past years. I wasn’t that excited when they beat the Reds, more relieved. I wasn’t excited when they beat the Marlins because I knew they were going to. Neither one of those teams was very good. I was happy they won, sure, but I wasn’t glowing and full of adrenaline. This is despite the fact that the Braves haven’t won a playoff series in 20 years, nor have appeared in an NLCS in that same time frame. And it’s not just facing poor teams, the lack of fans and cool weather really took away from the usual playoff atmosphere. The NLCS was the only time I felt any type of anxiety and excitement, and that was only once we were up 3-1 and on the verge of doing something special. Last night definitely hurt though, but it was nice finally feeling like I should have during a tense playoff series.

I really wanted this, but if you gave me a choice, I’ll take winning it in a normal season. It’ll be much sweeter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Why am I seeing World Series Game 1 ads that have Braves hitting highlights in them. I understand they might be in the background of some dodger highlights but they are just right in there as if they are playing. Just really rubbing it in MLB.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.