Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Braves Roster: Where It Stands Now. Where Does It Go From Here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    The Dodgers are literally the Rays but with more money. Literally 3/4 of that roster is homegrown lol.

Of their 28 man playoff roster 10 were drafted and 4 were international free agents. They are where they are because they outspent everyone. Literally 1 billion dollars over 4 years. We dreamed of just having half the 300 million dollar payroll they had. They used that **** to jumpstart the organization. Specifically its all the signing international free agents like Olivera and Puig and then turning around and trading them that pisses me off. Everything they do is made easier by infinite resources. Its really easy to make a big trade like the Betts trade and give him 300 million dollars when it if turns into a Melvin it would be nothing more than a speed bump.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Of their 28 man playoff roster 10 were drafted and 4 were international free agents. They are where they are because they outspent everyone. Literally 1 billion dollars over 4 years. We dreamed of just having half the 300 million dollar payroll they had. They used that **** to jumpstart the organization. Specifically its all the signing international free agents like Olivera and Puig and then turning around and trading them that pisses me off. Everything they do is made easier by infinite resources. Its really easy to make a big trade like the Betts trade and give him 300 million dollars when it if turns into a Melvin it would be nothing more than a speed bump.
    So half their playoff roster was homegrown. That’s a pretty normal amount for a contender. By comparison, the Braves had 12 homegrown players on their playoff roster, and that’s only after having to add Camargo mid-series. That’s also counting Flowers who didn’t come up with Braves and spent most of his career elsewhere.

Also, to be fair, that’s not counting Swanson who should really be counted as a homegrown player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    This makes me really feel for organizations like Cleveland who is doing everything right yet just don't have the resources to fully compete. They've literally got to trade away their homegrown talent a few years before they become free agents to be able to continue to reload. Such a we'll run organization, but they really need everything to break perfectly.

On the other hand, not sure a team like Pittsburgh will ever seriously be able to contend again

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    This makes me really feel for organizations like Cleveland who is doing everything right yet just don't have the resources to fully compete. They've literally got to trade away their homegrown talent a few years before they become free agents to be able to continue to reload. Such a we'll run organization, but they really need everything to break perfectly.

On the other hand, not sure a team like Pittsburgh will ever seriously be able to contend again
    I hate this for fans, but truly the only market inefficiency that small market teams can exploit that big market teams cannot is to trade popular homegrown players at a premium. All the other advantages (player development, in game strategy, international market, sports science, etc.) the big market teams have already embraced, but that’s one I could never see happening.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,986 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    OK, I should have been more precise.

Ozuna signed for 1 year because nobody wanted him for 3 at an AAV he found acceptable.
    Yeah, I think he was hoping a one year cushion deal and re-enter the market without a QO attached. It would have worked out well if not for COVID. Now I don't know that anyone will be spending much money.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Braves should sign Joc Pederson.
    Sign Paxton to 1 year deal maybe with a club option.
    Sign Liam Hendriks. Before the Dodgers get him....
    Maybe get a utility player.
    Save money for the trade deadline.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ixiXSolidXixi For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-19-2020)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    The braves could really benefit from shewmake becoming an mlb player next season. Being able to play him at 3b, sS, and 2b would be great since those guys are all rhh (albies much better rhh)
    He could replace Camargo imo. Could platoon with Riley and spare Swanson on occasion.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    The A's will trade anyone if the price is right. But prepare to surrender a few pounds of flesh.
    You say that, but we’ve had success trading with them, ex. Tim Hudson.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Trevor Bauer
    @BauerOutage
    Reliving my childhood tonight laying in my bed, watching the
    @Braves
    in the post season, listening to my dad chopping away. Happened so often that I made this stuffed chopper to use every October. Gotta say though, a bit different listening to Smoltz instead of watching him
    Get off my lawn!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-20-2020), JohnAdcox (10-20-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Bauer would be a huge addition but I don’t see it bc so many people are gonna be after him. But he’s just weird enough to take less money to sign with somebody if that’s where he wants to be.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-20-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Would JD Martinez be a decent target if the Red Sox kicked in a good chunk of what he's owed? If we are looking to keep the DH. They have no use for that contract.

Also JBJr be a decent mid price fit for LF platoon?
    Ivermectin Man

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    La Stella might be a solid target.

AA has a ton of options. Upgrade 3B, LF, Starting pitching. If we have a DH, then DH needs to be maintained.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Under the radar type move could be Molina. He is said to be seeking a 2 year deal. Not saying this should be top priority but if a few options fall through I’d consider it.

He is not the hitter he used to be, but paired with TDA that would be a very solid tandem and he’d be great with our young pitchers
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Under the radar type move could be Molina. He is said to be seeking a 2 year deal. Not saying this should be top priority but if a few options fall through I’d consider it.

He is not the hitter he used to be, but paired with TDA that would be a very solid tandem and he’d be great with our young pitchers
    There is zero reason for the Braves to go after Molina.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (10-20-2020), JohnAdcox (10-22-2020), salmagundy (10-20-2020)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post

If you want to listen to rumors or want a high dollar back up to TDA, Chicago Trib had an article few days back that said almost unequivocally that Bryant and Schwarber will be traded this winter AND CONTRERAS is a definite possibility.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    There is zero reason for the Braves to go after Molina.
    Not totally. It would allow Contreras to get additional seasoning after a season where he really didn’t have a season. In year 2, you bring up Contreras and let TDA walk
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,986 Posts
    25 years of amateur braves prospecting and I get accused of not even knowing their names. Go figure. Been wrong plenty of times. Been laughed at plenty of times I turned out right too. Hows Melvin doing?
    Not sure who you're referring to with Melvin.

25 years is worthless if you think the Braves farm is anywhere near bottom 5. That doesn't mean we're close to top 5 either. We have a lot of talent, but most of it just happens to be in the lower levels thanks to the penalties from Coppy-gate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Been thinking about the organizational direction of our pitching. When I look around the top teams in the league, many are developing or acquiring flamethrowers who can touch 100. I don't think we have any. I think I heard Muller touch that this Summer. But our top starters like Soroka, Fried, and Anderson are more finesse. And Wilson and Wright aren't guys that have an elite fastball like that either. None in our bullpen either.

Wondering if our lack of these guys has more to do with development or we just haven't tried to draft or acquire these types.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Been thinking about the organizational direction of our pitching. When I look around the top teams in the league, many are developing or acquiring flamethrowers who can touch 100. I don't think we have any. I think I heard Muller touch that this Summer. But our top starters like Soroka, Fried, and Anderson are more finesse. And Wilson and Wright aren't guys that have an elite fastball like that either. None in our bullpen either.

Wondering if our lack of these guys has more to do with development or we just haven't tried to draft or acquire these types.
    There’s been many players that threw 100 that didn’t pan out. Velocity is great, but movement and control matter as well. We’ve got a good situation the next few years with our staff.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts

Your expectations are too high if you think we'll develop guys as well as LA, Cleveland, Tampa, etc. Just not what this organization does for whatever reason.