Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Braves Roster: Where It Stands Now. Where Does It Go From Here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    They’ll no doubt bring in a veteran starter and they should. They may not do anything with the infield and the outfield is good in CF and RF. DH and LF are the 2 spots we need to upgrade and I think Ozuna will be the main priority to bring back for DH. The market should be lower this year with all the lost revenue from COVID. If we can use some excess prospect and pitching capital and get a veteran starter could we afford both Ozuna and Brantley or Springer?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    They’ll no doubt bring in a veteran starter and they should. They may not do anything with the infield and the outfield is good in CF and RF. DH and LF are the 2 spots we need to upgrade and I think Ozuna will be the main priority to bring back for DH. The market should be lower this year with all the lost revenue from COVID. If we can use some excess prospect and pitching capital and get a veteran starter could we afford both Ozuna and Brantley or Springer?
    I think you are sorely mistaken on Ozunas market. Every NL team (didnt even look at the AL teams) has worse production from DH than we did. Only SF, Cards, Marlins and maybe Reds (dependent on Castellanos) had positive production from DH. We were just lucky that signed him to play LF when Donaldson moved on. Then when Neck came back didnt need him in the OF.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    I expect us to bring in a veteran SP on a short deal. Stroman seems the most likely given his connection to AA.

I don't expect we'll be bringing back Neck or Ozuna. A LHH OFer to either start over Duvall or is able to platoon with Duvall is more likely here. Joc Pederson and Michael Brantley seem like the top options, with lower cost options being Eaton, Reddick, and Grossman (switch hitter).

At 3b, again we at the very least need a LH platoon partner for Riley. But I do think the goal here is to at least find a short term starter that is able to relegate Riley bench duty. In FA, Justin Turner is an obvious starting candidate who also meets AA's typical criteria of a short term contract. La Stella is probably the best candidate among the platoon only guys. A trade here seems more likely, imo. Kris Bryant is likely at the top of the list, despite his uninspiring performance in 2020, but I wouldn't rule out a trade for Jose Ramirez.
    Last edited by Carp; 10-19-2020 at 11:50 AM.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Assuming the NL gets the DH I expect Nelson Cruz to get a lot of attention. Can you sign Ozuna longer term? If you can’t then maybe Cruz makes sense on a one year deal? It’s day zero of the off season so just thinking out loud.
    My first thought when I looked at the FA pool was Nelly Cruz. If he can continue to play at a high level and the DH is in play in 2021... you have to think that's the way we go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,729 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Yep, they got more talent on the way in the minors smh. Ruiz, Lux, and whatever trades they make plus Price comes back next year. They're the best ran team in the sport.

No, no they are not. Not even close. To be clear, the team they are going to play in the world series is the best run team. The Dodgers would be a last place team if they had the same situation as the Rays. What you see with the Dodgers is what happens when you have infinite resources without an incompetent GM like Brian Cashman or retarded owner who insists on making bad signings. That doesnt make them smart or good.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    No, no they are not. Not even close. To be clear, the team they are going to play in the world series is the best run team. The Dodgers would be a last place team if they had the same situation as the Rays. What you see with the Dodgers is what happens when you have infinite resources without an incompetent GM like Brian Cashman or retarded owner who insists on making bad signings. That doesnt make them smart or good.
    Once again, you have no idea what you’re talking about.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Nothing will improve our bullpen depth quite like lengthening our rotation.

Nothing will improve our team more than strengthening the bench (which will improve the bottom of the order).

The most difficult choice on the roster is going to be 3B. I suspect AA will look to invest in someone who can play 3B and the OF and is a capable starter. It sort of checks all the boxes on team needs (Brian Anderson is perfect but probably not realistic).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-20-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    The Dodgers in the same situation were the Rays (Friedman took that team to the WS in 2008).

The Rays are still benefitting from the full cupboard he left them when he left for the Dodgers.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Nothing will improve our bullpen depth quite like lengthening our rotation.
    The most difficult choice on the roster is going to be 3B. I suspect AA will look to invest in someone who can play 3B and the OF and is a capable starter. It sort of checks all the boxes on team needs (Brian Anderson is perfect but probably not realistic).
    Kris Bryant and Miguel Andujar are a couple names to keep an eye out. Andujar burst onto the scene, struggled, and then got hurt. Believe he was left off the Yankees playoff roster. He may have fallen out of favor with the Yankees. If he’s got a clean bill of health I would love to take a flier on him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,729 Posts
    From what I project the Braves have about 90 million commited to next year after arbitration players. I have no clue how the virus is going to effect next years financials for us or other teams though. Heres how I see the roster

Rotation
    -----------------
    Mike Soroka - I have 99% confidence in him. I would use this seasons setback to try and negotiate a long term deal for him.

Max Fried - I have no confidence in him to stay healthy for a full 200 IP season. He would be near the top of my trade while at peak value list. I dont think we would get a satisfactory offer but I think its worth seeing what we could get. Dont mistake my opinion, I think he is a very good SP, If every season was 60 games I would not consider trading him. I kind of see him a lot like Rich Hill.

Ian Anderson - Star in the making imo.

Bryce Wilson - I would like to see him enter 2021 as our 6th starter which probably means he would be in the opening day rotation. I dont have the highest confidence he will develop but I think he has everything needed to be a quality back of the rotation starter for us. Good depth.

Melvin - Please no, just no, why do this every year?

We need to add 1 SP through FA or trade. Preferably a veteran. Theres next to nothing in the farm system coming to help the rotation that hasnt already hit the majors.

Bullpen
    -------------------
    We have 20 million committed to the pen just in Martin and Smith. I am with everyone else wanting one of MM or Greene back. I dont think we can have both. We really need to develop some cheaper options for the pen. We need a strong pen but we dont need to spend 40 million a year on it.

Catcher
    ----------------------
    D'Arnaud greatly exceeded my expectations. I like the short term nature of his deal and as other said Contreras should be the backup for 2021. Fairly simple.

Infield
    ------------------
    Freeman - Absolute must re-sign this offseason. No I dont care what analytics say about aging 1B.

Albies - love em

Swanson - I have serious doubts about his ability to put a full 160 game season together of quality hitting. That said I would take a gamble and attempt a long term deal with him this offseason. I think its a good bet to make.

Riley - I like having his big time power in the lineup. I might be in the minority here but I would give him at minimum 1 or 2 more full years starting at 3B to see how he develops.

Outfield
    ------------------
    Acuna - Mattata

Pache - he has impressed me, CF should be his going into 2021

Duvall - quality platoon bat, getting expensive but with no long term risk thats fine by me.

Waters - Really high on him. I see no reason to go after any outfielders in FA or trade unless its someone like Bryant who can play the infield too.

Ozuna - I think the DH is here to stay but like others I question his ability to hold up over 160 games. I would feel much better about it if he was playing DH most of the time. I would offer him a big long term contact but not on the assumption he would hit this well again. 5-6 years around 20 million per year would be about as high as I go and if I know anything about FA he will get atleast 25 million a year.

Farm System
    -----------------------
    The farm is absolute dog**** outside of a few players already in the majors who may or may not qualify still as prospects. Really high on Waters. Muller is a good prospect. Probably a good reliever. Langeliers is a cruel joke the organization is playing on me. Shewmake I think has a good shot to develop into a an average starting position player. I dont know much about Shuster so I wont **** on him. This is probably a bottom 5 farm system and getting worse. I am a big believer in AA but the warning signals need to go out. Something needs to change soon or **** is going to get really bad around 2025-26 unless AA makes some really good signing/trades to supplement the MLB roster. We missed a great oppurtunity to restock the upper levels of the farm system by not trade Folty after his fluke year. We can only ride this wave of talent that came up in the last few years if we have good cheap prospects to supplement the roster when Acuna and others get really expensive.

It’s over."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-20-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,729 Posts
    The Dodgers in the same situation were the Rays (Friedman took that team to the WS in 2008).

The Rays are still benefitting from the full cupboard he left them when he left for the Dodgers.

No its completely different because the Rays have no fans. Dodgers fans wont accept long term tanking to build the team like the Rays did. Friedman would be fired long before that came to fruition.

It’s over."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    I think we all know the plan in the rotation will be Fried, Anderson, Soroka plus the equivalent of Hamels on a 1 year deal, and some other filler pieces.

The Will Smith deal was an outlier, but AA builds his BP the same every year, and we shouldn't expect much different this off season.

Assuming Pache is the long term solution in CF, perhaps as soon as opening day, someone to platoon with Duvall in LF should be a primary target. How much the Braves have to spend on that target is completely unknowable by anyone in the public sphere right now though.

3B is the other obvious area to improve, but finances may dictate Riley gets more chances. He may not be a stud, but he did show real improvements last year, and should be at least 1+ win guy with room for more. Teams win all the time with a 1 win guy as their worst regular.

Extending Freeman is something that should be explored. No, not the 7 year Chris Davis bonehead deal that sinks a franchise for a decade. If Freeman is willing to swap out his remaining 1/22 contract with something like 3/75 with a 4th year option, that is the type of thing Chipper did to remain a Brave long term.

The trade market may be insane this year as teams are forced to dump good players they can't afford to keep. FAs may be historically cheap as every team cuts payroll. This will be a very interesting and unpredictable off season I think.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-20-2020), PawPawMaxwell (10-19-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Bottom 5 farm? Lol get real. Just because you don't know their names doesn't mean we don't have a bunch of talent still.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,699 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I think we all know the plan in the rotation will be Fried, Anderson, Soroka plus the equivalent of Hamels on a 1 year deal, and some other filler pieces.

The Will Smith deal was an outlier, but AA builds his BP the same every year, and we shouldn't expect much different this off season.

Assuming Pache is the long term solution in CF, perhaps as soon as opening day, someone to platoon with Duvall in LF should be a primary target. How much the Braves have to spend on that target is completely unknowable by anyone in the public sphere right now though.

3B is the other obvious area to improve, but finances may dictate Riley gets more chances. He may not be a stud, but he did show real improvements last year, and should be at least 1+ win guy with room for more. Teams win all the time with a 1 win guy as their worst regular.

Extending Freeman is something that should be explored. No, not the 7 year Chris Davis bonehead deal that sinks a franchise for a decade. If Freeman is willing to swap out his remaining 1/22 contract with something like 3/75 with a 4th year option, that is the type of thing Chipper did to remain a Brave long term.

The trade market may be insane this year as teams are forced to dump good players they can't afford to keep. FAs may be historically cheap as every team cuts payroll. This will be a very interesting and unpredictable off season I think.
    The braves could really benefit from shewmake becoming an mlb player next season. Being able to play him at 3b, sS, and 2b would be great since those guys are all rhh (albies much better rhh)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    From what I project the Braves have about 90 million commited to next year after arbitration players. I have no clue how the virus is going to effect next years financials for us or other teams though. Heres how I see the roster

Rotation
    -----------------
    Mike Soroka - I have 99% confidence in him. I would use this seasons setback to try and negotiate a long term deal for him.

Max Fried - I have no confidence in him to stay healthy for a full 200 IP season. He would be near the top of my trade while at peak value list. I dont think we would get a satisfactory offer but I think its worth seeing what we could get. Dont mistake my opinion, I think he is a very good SP, If every season was 60 games I would not consider trading him. I kind of see him a lot like Rich Hill.

Ian Anderson - Star in the making imo.

Bryce Wilson - I would like to see him enter 2021 as our 6th starter which probably means he would be in the opening day rotation. I dont have the highest confidence he will develop but I think he has everything needed to be a quality back of the rotation starter for us. Good depth.

Melvin - Please no, just no, why do this every year?

We need to add 1 SP through FA or trade. Preferably a veteran. Theres next to nothing in the farm system coming to help the rotation that hasnt already hit the majors.

Bullpen
    -------------------
    We have 20 million committed to the pen just in Martin and Smith. I am with everyone else wanting one of MM or Greene back. I dont think we can have both. We really need to develop some cheaper options for the pen. We need a strong pen but we dont need to spend 40 million a year on it.

Catcher
    ----------------------
    D'Arnaud greatly exceeded my expectations. I like the short term nature of his deal and as other said Contreras should be the backup for 2021. Fairly simple.

Infield
    ------------------
    Freeman - Absolute must re-sign this offseason. No I dont care what analytics say about aging 1B.

Albies - love em

Swanson - I have serious doubts about his ability to put a full 160 game season together of quality hitting. That said I would take a gamble and attempt a long term deal with him this offseason. I think its a good bet to make.

Riley - I like having his big time power in the lineup. I might be in the minority here but I would give him at minimum 1 or 2 more full years starting at 3B to see how he develops.

Outfield
    ------------------
    Acuna - Mattata

Pache - he has impressed me, CF should be his going into 2021

Duvall - quality platoon bat, getting expensive but with no long term risk thats fine by me.

Waters - Really high on him. I see no reason to go after any outfielders in FA or trade unless its someone like Bryant who can play the infield too.

Ozuna - I think the DH is here to stay but like others I question his ability to hold up over 160 games. I would feel much better about it if he was playing DH most of the time. I would offer him a big long term contact but not on the assumption he would hit this well again. 5-6 years around 20 million per year would be about as high as I go and if I know anything about FA he will get atleast 25 million a year.

Farm System
    -----------------------
    The farm is absolute dog**** outside of a few players already in the majors who may or may not qualify still as prospects. Really high on Waters. Muller is a good prospect. Probably a good reliever. Langeliers is a cruel joke the organization is playing on me. Shewmake I think has a good shot to develop into a an average starting position player. I dont know much about Shuster so I wont **** on him. This is probably a bottom 5 farm system and getting worse. I am a big believer in AA but the warning signals need to go out. Something needs to change soon or **** is going to get really bad around 2025-26 unless AA makes some really good signing/trades to supplement the MLB roster. We missed a great oppurtunity to restock the upper levels of the farm system by not trade Folty after his fluke year. We can only ride this wave of talent that came up in the last few years if we have good cheap prospects to supplement the roster when Acuna and others get really expensive.
    This looks like a clvclv dissertation on keeping the same roster for next year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I'm wondering if Marcell would entertain another 1 year deal at a higher AAV or if someone offers him his multi-year deal this offseason.

He has earned the multi-year deal and i'm more comfortable giving him the deal over Donaldson, especially if DH becomes the law.

We definitely need help in the rotation, that was abundantly clear in this 7 game series.

The pen should still overall be solid, but we will need to bring back either MM or Greene. My preference is Greene, but if MM is cheap enough, i'd bite.

Our overall bench, as has been stated, was rather weak overall....Camargo did not produce, Culberson was a non-factor....I guess in a DH league, you can get away with a weak bench. But not in the playoffs....

One thing the Dodgers did so well in the later part of the NLCS was fighting off so many pitches and working the counts. This drove up the pitch counts of all our pitchers who were gassed, and when they made a mistake, the Dodgers took advantage. I'd like to see us take that approach next season. Our hitters did not work the counts well this series.
    Get off my lawn!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Here's my guess:
    1. Ozuna is not resigned
    2. Jake Lamb gets a 1 year deal. LH power bat. Play 3b, DH. Replace Culberson.
    3. Trade for David Peralta for not much. LH bat. Play LF, DH. Replace Neck
    4. Sign one of Ordorizzi or Stroman to a short term deal.
    5. Sign another, random pitching vet to a one year low cost deal like Felix or Sanchez before him
    6. Green and Melancon walk, sign a 1-2 year deal for a vet in the 5 million range
    7. Flowers walks. Start season with Jackson until we get another year of control from Contreras
    8. Sign glove only SS for the minimum to back up swanson.
    9. Look to trade for the big bat to replace Ozuna. Try Arenado. Back up Seager.

OF is Pache, Acuna and left is manned by one of Duvall, Riley, Peralta.

DH is one of Lamb, Riley, Peralta.

Peralta is due 7.5 million next year and the following year.
    Seager is due 18 million next year and if traded his 15 million in 2022 becomes a player option. Maybe in the offseason you have time to negotiate this out if Seager really wants out of Seattle. Doubt it, but maybe.
    Waters is deemed to be ready 2022. At that time Riley has to be better than Seager to start at 3B, gone or new Comargo. Seager and Peralta are DH options. Lamb is gone. Duvall is gone. Comargo is gone.

We are not as good as we were this year with Ozuna. But we do have more options to mix and match, especially vs RH pitching.

I'd like us to do better. Keep Ozuna on a 2/3 year deal. Get Springer. Maybe Brantley. Maybe a big trade. But I think we fall short again and it's this poo poo platter vs a headliner.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

Not screwing up is smart and good.

I think they have done a really good job in building the best money that money can buy. They're obviously pretty good at identifying and developing talent and then deploying it fairly successfully.

Dodgers have always been good at that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Here's my guess:
    1. Ozuna is not resigned
    2. Jake Lamb gets a 1 year deal. LH power bat. Play 3b, DH. Replace Culberson.
    3. Trade for David Peralta for not much. LH bat. Play LF, DH. Replace Neck
    4. Sign one of Ordorizzi or Stroman to a short term deal.
    5. Sign another, random pitching vet to a one year low cost deal like Felix or Sanchez before him
    6. Green and Melancon walk, sign a 1-2 year deal for a vet in the 5 million range
    7. Flowers walks. Start season with Jackson until we get another year of control from Contreras
    8. Sign glove only SS for the minimum to back up swanson.
    9. Look to trade for the big bat to replace Ozuna. Try Arenado. Back up Seager.

OF is Pache, Acuna and left is manned by one of Duvall, Riley, Peralta.

DH is one of Lamb, Riley, Peralta.

Peralta is due 7.5 million next year and the following year.
    Seager is due 18 million next year and if traded his 15 million in 2022 becomes a player option. Maybe in the offseason you have time to negotiate this out if Seager really wants out of Seattle. Doubt it, but maybe.
    Waters is deemed to be ready 2022. At that time Riley has to be better than Seager to start at 3B, gone or new Comargo. Seager and Peralta are DH options. Lamb is gone. Duvall is gone. Comargo is gone.

We are not as good as we were this year with Ozuna. But we do have more options to mix and match, especially vs RH pitching.

I'd like us to do better. Keep Ozuna on a 2/3 year deal. Get Springer. Maybe Brantley. Maybe a big trade. But I think we fall short again and it's this poo poo platter vs a headliner.

I'd really like for people to stop mentioning Jake Lamb.

After hitting what certainly looks like his career peak at Age 26/27, he's been bad to terrible vs RHP over the last three seasons.

This is not a viable addition, even in a platoon capacity, for a contending club, IMO.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-20-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts

See what people don't realize about the Dodgers is not only do they invest a lot of money into their roster (which is the highest in the league), but they clearly invest a lot of money into all other aspects of baseball operations.

For example, they've clearly been the best organization at player development over the past decade, as evidenced by how much home grown talent they've been able to develop. Along with that, they haven't even had a high draft pick in a decade, and still are able to churn out stars. They draft extremely well and develop that talent. Just like the Yankees, they seem to know which prospects to trade and which to hold onto. There is no end in site to the pipeline of talent they have coming up through the minors.