Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Braves Roster: Where It Stands Now. Where Does It Go From Here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I think we all know the plan in the rotation will be Fried, Anderson, Soroka plus the equivalent of Hamels on a 1 year deal, and some other filler pieces.

The Will Smith deal was an outlier, but AA builds his BP the same every year, and we shouldn't expect much different this off season.

Assuming Pache is the long term solution in CF, perhaps as soon as opening day, someone to platoon with Duvall in LF should be a primary target. How much the Braves have to spend on that target is completely unknowable by anyone in the public sphere right now though.

3B is the other obvious area to improve, but finances may dictate Riley gets more chances. He may not be a stud, but he did show real improvements last year, and should be at least 1+ win guy with room for more. Teams win all the time with a 1 win guy as their worst regular.

Extending Freeman is something that should be explored. No, not the 7 year Chris Davis bonehead deal that sinks a franchise for a decade. If Freeman is willing to swap out his remaining 1/22 contract with something like 3/75 with a 4th year option, that is the type of thing Chipper did to remain a Brave long term.

The trade market may be insane this year as teams are forced to dump good players they can't afford to keep. FAs may be historically cheap as every team cuts payroll. This will be a very interesting and unpredictable off season I think.
    I like your suggestion on the Freeman extension. I know you were pretty against extending Freeman (for good reason), but that would be a reasonable window to keep him around and then maybe go from there.

I wonder if Duvall would be considered too expensive to bring back, especially if we have to plug other holes with a lowered payroll. Think about it, you're paying him 6 million (projected arb number) to be a short side of a platoon. Not sure how much the lefty in this platoon will cost, but it could be expensive quick. Once again, if payroll is down big time, and Markakis wants to keep playing, might have to explore getting him on the cheap unfortunately.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The Dodgers are simply a rich version of the Rays.

The hope is the Braves become a middle class version of both. So far it looks like AA is making that happen, even if the mouth breathing fans don’t understand what’s going on and say things like “go all in”, and, “flags fly forever”.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-19-2020 at 02:25 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    I think you are sorely mistaken on Ozunas market. Every NL team (didnt even look at the AL teams) has worse production from DH than we did. Only SF, Cards, Marlins and maybe Reds (dependent on Castellanos) had positive production from DH. We were just lucky that signed him to play LF when Donaldson moved on. Then when Neck came back didnt need him in the OF.
    Ozuna made 18m this year, which would very much put him in the upper echelon of DH salaries. And most of the guys above him were not necessarily signed to be DH (though perhaps it was implicit in the mega deals of guys like Cabrera).

In general, I think spending big on DH is generally something that clubs that don't have many holes choose to do, or that clubs that don't really have a choice do.

I'm not seeing an obvious big market club that he fits particularly well. Maybe the Phillies or Mets if either of them happen to be big market teams this offseason.

It seems to me that he's probably not going to make more AAV next year than he did this year. But I really don't know. It's such a strange environment.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I like your suggestion on the Freeman extension. I know you were pretty against extending Freeman (for good reason), but that would be a reasonable window to keep him around and then maybe go from there.

I wonder if Duvall would be considered too expensive to bring back, especially if we have to plug other holes with a lowered payroll. Think about it, you're paying him 6 million (projected arb number) to be a short side of a platoon. Not sure how much the lefty in this platoon will cost, but it could be expensive quick. Once again, if payroll is down big time, and Markakis wants to keep playing, might have to explore getting him on the cheap unfortunately.
    I can't imagine they'll non-tender Duvall.

Selling high might be something to explore.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    There’s not a contract at this point where I bring Markakis back. No matter what his role is on the team he’s going to be over leveraged based on his relationship with Snit.

I think it’s obvious that Markakis yelling at John Hart for coming into the clubhouse to criticize Snitker clearly has impact on Snit’s perception of Markakis.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Ozuna made 18m this year, which would very much put him in the upper echelon of DH salaries. And most of the guys above him were not necessarily signed to be DH (though perhaps it was implicit in the mega deals of guys like Cabrera).

In general, I think spending big on DH is generally something that clubs that don't have many holes choose to do, or that clubs that don't really have a choice do.

I'm not seeing an obvious big market club that he fits particularly well. Maybe the Phillies or Mets if either of them happen to be big market teams this offseason.

It seems to me that he's probably not going to make more AAV next year than he did this year. But I really don't know. It's such a strange environment.
    But Ozuna was not signed to be a DH. DH for the NL was not in play when he signed in lieu of JD. Neck opted out, Ozuna exposed his defensive liability and Neck comes back making it an easy decision to keep Marcel as DH.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-20-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I can't imagine they'll non-tender Duvall.

Selling high might be something to explore.
    Duvall should probably be an easy trade move. Just dont know what to expect in return. Maybe a reliever of merit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    What are anyones estimates of what it would cost to sign someone like Brantley for 3 years or Pederson for 4 years or maybe 3 plus 1? My opinion FWIW, Brantley at 3/36 or Pederson at best 2/24.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    But Ozuna was not signed to be a DH. DH for the NL was not in play when he signed in lieu of JD. Neck opted out, Ozuna exposed his defensive liability and Neck comes back making it an easy decision to keep Marcel as DH.

Maybe some team will throw him out there in the OF and live with the defensive runs given up. We've seen a lot of clubs do that over the years.

But I not sure those guys often get paid 18m+ either.

He's a guy with one very good year, one great 1/3 season, and declining athleticism and defensive ability. He's hitting what figures to be the toughest market on the players side in a long, long while.

It's hard to see how clubs will be comfortable committing to business as usual in the early winter. Maybe the market moves like sludge, but I think it's probably not the best year for players.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The market for bat-only players has already dried up. That’s why AA was able to get Ozuna on a 1 year deal in the first place.

If the NL keeps the DH I have no problem with AA paying market rate for Ozuna to be the primary DH...but folks don’t seem to understand the actual market rate for such a player. Any team giving Ozuna a contact as if he’s a 5 year OFer is going to be in rough shape quickly.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-20-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Maybe some team will throw him out there in the OF and live with the defensive runs given up. We've seen a lot of clubs do that over the years.

But I not sure those guys often get paid 18m+ either.

He's a guy with one very good year, one great 1/3 season, and declining athleticism and defensive ability. He's hitting what figures to be the toughest market on the players side in a long, long while.

It's hard to see how clubs will be comfortable committing to business as usual in the early winter. Maybe the market moves like sludge, but I think it's probably not the best year for players.
    Agree with your premise. Just disagree with everyone wanting to resign Ozuna. The identified point is that Freddie needs more LH help in the order since we all know Neck is cooked and Ozzie hits better from the right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    The market for bat-only players has already dried up. That’s why AA was able to get Ozuna on a 1 year deal in the first place.

If the NL keeps the DH I have no problem with AA paying market rate for Ozuna to be the primary DH...but folks don’t seem to understand the actual market rate for such a player. Any team giving Ozuna a contact as if he’s a 5 year OFer is going to be in rough shape quickly.
    Disagree with this one. I think Ozuna was signed for 1 year deal because of the promise of Pache and Waters. I found it interesting that AA was never indicated as being in on Castellanos nor Moustakas. Moose in particular since Riley struggled at end of 2019.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Bottom 5 farm? Lol get real. Just because you don't know their names doesn't mean we don't have a bunch of talent still.

25 years of amateur braves prospecting and I get accused of not even knowing their names. Go figure. Been wrong plenty of times. Been laughed at plenty of times I turned out right too. Hows Melvin doing?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Any prayer that Matt Chapman could be acquired?

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Any prayer that Matt Chapman could be acquired?
    The A's will trade anyone if the price is right. But prepare to surrender a few pounds of flesh.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    If I'm AA obviously my first priority would be resigning Ozuna as long as it's reasonable. That would allow you to go in to the season with Duvall, Riley, and Pache as our 7-9 assuming the DH is adopted fully, which I believe it will be.

The next priority would be trading Ender in a contract swap of some sorts, getting back an overpaid pitcher in return. That would decide on who/where you spend any additional fees on the pitching staff. Either way, we have the meat of our staff coming back.

Then after that it's tinkering with the last 5 roster spots and stacking the AAA roster to build depth, while waiting on the right deal to happen.

Freeman and Dansby's extensions should be looked at as well, but they shouldn't really effect this year's payroll regardless.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Disagree with this one. I think Ozuna was signed for 1 year deal because of the promise of Pache and Waters. I found it interesting that AA was never indicated as being in on Castellanos nor Moustakas. Moose in particular since Riley struggled at end of 2019.
    Ozuna signed for 1 year because nobody wanted him for 3.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Ozuna signed for 1 year because nobody wanted him for 3.
    Reds offered him 3 years for 50m. https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...rt/4656301002/

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-20-2020), PawPawMaxwell (10-19-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    No, no they are not. Not even close. To be clear, the team they are going to play in the world series is the best run team. The Dodgers would be a last place team if they had the same situation as the Rays. What you see with the Dodgers is what happens when you have infinite resources without an incompetent GM like Brian Cashman or retarded owner who insists on making bad signings. That doesnt make them smart or good.
    The Dodgers are literally the Rays but with more money. Literally 3/4 of that roster is homegrown lol.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    OK, I should have been more precise.

Ozuna signed for 1 year because nobody wanted him for 3 at an AAV he found acceptable.