Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Braves Roster: Where It Stands Now. Where Does It Go From Here

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,798 Posts

The Braves Roster: Where It Stands Now. Where Does It Go From Here

Well, I was hoping it would be a few days to think about the 2021 season, but alas, the Braves offseason starts now. I think we can all agree the team, when healthy, is a very good roster and it wouldn't take much to make it better and possibly be a World Series caliber roster. So, where are we at? Let's see:

Starting Pitchers: Mike Soroka and Max Fried are certain for the rotation, so as long as Mike's Achilles heals up. His NLCS start notwithstanding, Kyle Wright looked good in his last regular season starts and in the NLDS. Bryce Wilson turned heads in the NLCS and Ian Anderson responded well getting pushed into duty. While talented, that is an awfully young rotation. Cole Hamels certainly won't be brought back. The free agent market for starters outside of Trevor Bauer is not great.

Bullpen: This is going to be very interesting to see how this plays out. Mark Melancon and Shane Greene are free agents, but I would expect one or possibly both to get offers. Martin has another year and Minter is under control for a bit and Smith has a couple more years of control. I don't look for Grant Dayton to return and I think it's unlikely O'Day is back, but I won't be entirely shocked if he gets an offer.

Catchers: This one probably not hard to figure out. d'Arnaud is under contract for another year. I don't look for Flowers to return with William Contreras the likely replacement for him.

Infield: Freddie Freeman and Ozzie Albies are both long term signed and Swanson isn't a free agent for a couple more years, but showed this year he can be a part of the long term future. Camargo will likely still be around for a couple years. I don't look for Charlie Culberson to return. A veteran infielder to back up is a high likelihood here. So what about Austin Riley and 3rd base? That's a bit of a wild card to me. I'll explain in a bit.

Outfield: This one is not too hard either. Pache is in center and Acuna in right. Markakis will not be back and I won't be surprised if he retires. Duvall back as a likely 4th outfielder. So, what about Ozuna. A lot will depend on if the DH is back in the National League next year. If so, makes the prospect of resigning him greater. I can't imagine the decision for bringing back the DH to the NL on a permanent basis will be too long in coming.

So, what changes could be coming? A couple ideas:

Vet Starting Pitcher: The rotation, while talented, is very young as it stands and needs an experienced starter to lead the way. Outside of Trevor Bauer, the FA pickings are slim. If Bauer turns out to be too expensive, a trade will be explored somewhere. But the Braves I believe will show interest in Bauer. Signing him, that's a whole other question.

Third Base, Outfield, and Austin Riley: Some of this will hinge on if the DH returns and Ozuna is signed for that. I think, if that happens, there is a decent chance Austin Riley could make a permanent move to left field. He's showed he's not bad out there. If that happens. who's on 3rd? Camargo? I don't see that. This could be an area where the Braves could look at a rather big trade. I'm only going to throw his name out because I think he'll get traded, but not to Atlanta. I think the Rockies will deal Nolan Arenado. But he's going to cost some team a big haul and I don't think the Braves are going to pay that price. A guy to watch here is Kris Bryant. It's another year before he's a free agent and because of that, he's not going to cost as much in a deal as Arenado. Bryant seems like a guy who could use a change of scenery and the Cubs are going to have to make some moves with their roster. I'm not going to say that will happen, but I can see a scenario which the Braves could explore that, but it hinges perhaps on the DH and signing Ozuna for that.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-20-2020)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    One thing I wonder is how the organization views Drew Waters. If he had a normal year of development he might be knocking down the door. It’s not inconceivable that he could be a better outfield option than Riley.

Then there is the big question of Sorokas recovery. If he’s all the way back I might prioritize roster depth over going all in on a guy like Bauer.

We have a lot of nice pieces but third base, an outfielder, and/or a starting pitcher would be helpful. Of course money is a wild card. It’s far less predictable than normal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Coredor For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-20-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    SP depends on how Soroka is, and if he's ready for OD or not.

I think we bring back one of MM/Greene, likely not both.

Offense needs to be a priority depending what money we do have. Ozuna will be a tough sell/decision and not a ton of bats in free agency.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,798 Posts
    Very good point about Drew Waters. Depending on what kind of trade the Braves are looking to make, Waters could be a part of it. But what the organization thinks of him, I don’t know.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-20-2020)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I don't think the Braves should bring Ozuna back. They'd be paying for MVP-level performance (over a shortened season), which was never his established level of ability before. Plus, he strikes me as a guy who wears down over the course of a full season (not basing this on his numbers, but looking at his body type and swing), especially if he has to play the field.

If the Braves want another shot at the WS, they need to find next year's Ozuna, and use whatever money remains to plug the other holes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Strike3urout For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-19-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    When we signed Smith to that deal I pretty much thought MM stayin in the closers role was a farse. But from what I’ve seen of Smith though, we still need a closer
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Just one correction. Freeman isn't signed long term. He has one year left. Will be fascinating to see what the organization chooses to do. He's the heart and soul of this organization and it's not like we have any capable stars coming through the minors to replace him. Thinking we see a team friendly extension ironed out this off season. Hopefully it's not more than 3 years.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-20-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    The Braves are still going to be getting significant organic growth from young players. They will get significant contributions next year from some of these players: Shewmake, Waters, Contreras, Wilson, Ynoa, Davidson. We don't know which ones yet, but it is a good group of young talent.

I think AA's big move in 2021 will come mid-season. I will go out on a limb and say it will be for either a pitcher or a hitter. It will be BIG.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Said in another thread, but those Dodgers aren't going anywhere. I'd make moves predicated on matching up with them and having some type of advantage.
    Ivermectin Man

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-19-2020), JohnAdcox (10-20-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    When we signed Smith to that deal I pretty much thought MM stayin in the closers role was a farse. But from what I’ve seen of Smith though, we still need a closer
    This year was essentially a wash for Smith. Between COVID and the shortened amount of time, he just couldn't find his slider on a consistent basis. I'm guessing he's back to normal next year.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-20-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Said in another thread, but those Dodgers aren't going anywhere. I'd make moves predicated on matching up with them and having some type of advantage.
    How exciting is the notion that the Braves are one of the top teams in baseball and can actively participate in these types of chess matches now?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-20-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Yep, they got more talent on the way in the minors smh. Ruiz, Lux, and whatever trades they make plus Price comes back next year. They're the best ran team in the sport.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The Braves are still going to be getting significant organic growth from young players. They will get significant contributions next year from some of these players: Shewmake, Waters, Contreras, Wilson, Ynoa, Davidson. We don't know which ones yet, but it is a good group of young talent.

I think AA's big move in 2021 will come mid-season. I will go out on a limb and say it will be for either a pitcher or a hitter. It will be BIG.

Until the hot stove starts up I just have no idea what the finances of the MLB offseason are going to look like.

Are free agents on sale? Are teams dumping veterans to save payroll? Are the Braves working with a 110m dollar payroll or a 140m dollar payroll?

Will the deadline this year be full of dumping teams or buying teams?

If this were a normal season with the Braves being able to take advantage of their full 140m payroll, then I would think they should be working hard this winter to build a better team. Because AA has not displayed a great willingness to expend resources at the deadline. To his credit, the team they have built has succeeded and the prospects they have not traded have turned out to be valuable. On the other hand, they have perhaps not really added impact players at the deadline. Though, I guess you can point at the bullpen as something that was built through deadline trades in significant part.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Pitching: MAYBE AA will explore someone like Lester on a 1 year deal. MAYBE try someone like Archer on a cheap make good 1 year deal. I doubt they dabble in the FA high dollar market.
    OH: Major need is for a left hand bat. Someone like Brantley or Pederson.
    IF: Need someone to back up Swanson. Can La Stella play SS in a pinch? How much would he cost?
    I dont see much else out there in the FA market that would catch AA interest.
    If the DH continues who replaces Ozuna? Bryant is still my primarty trade target.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think the braves need to find out who is desperate to unload payroll and work with Liberty to get some talent that is actually making some money.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

If this were a normal season with the Braves being able to take advantage of their full 140m payroll, then I would think they should be working hard this winter to build a better team. Because AA has not displayed a great willingness to expend resources at the deadline. To his credit, the team they have built has succeeded and the prospects they have not traded have turned out to be valuable. On the other hand, they have perhaps not really added impact players at the deadline. Though, I guess you can point at the bullpen as something that was built through deadline trades in significant part.
    At some point, AA's gonna have to take a chance in a big trade or on a free agent on a big deal. The 1 year deal thing works but at some point, he's gonna have to go for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    How exciting is the notion that the Braves are one of the top teams in baseball and can actively participate in these types of chess matches now?
    I mean... kinda?

I am not excited about being their bitch for the next 6 years and not winning ****.
    Ivermectin Man

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    So, I think AA will try for Bauer....BUT I think a guy that makes ALOT of sense on a one year “prove it” deal is Marcus Stroman. I would bet that’s who we target. I would say there will be plenty of interest from both sides on Bauer, but we will simply be outbid. I don’t think we need anymore than one vet with the pleasant surprises with our young pitchers.

Bullpen will be fine. We will sign back one or both of Greene and MM. AA will find another gem or two as usual.

Ozuna likely will be too expensive to bring back. This is the toughest call with the DH likely to be back. Do you pay a guy coming off a career season? I would lean towards yes, but it could bite the Braves. Ozuna has not always been healthy and we still have to sign Freddie back.

Pache, Duvall and Acuna are pretty much givens....Ender likely platooning with Duvall(Because I doubt we can move him)...and bye Nick. Waters should be up at some point.

We know Travis will be back and we have plenty of options for Flowers who will not be back. Travis became ineffective because he was so run down from catching every game. If you have a catcher you do not feel like you can play in a big game...that’s a killer.

Third base is a big question mark to me. Obviously if Ozuna is signed back, they will roll with Riley. If we do not make the deal with Ozuna....third base really needs to be upgraded. I don’t see Riley as the answer.

If I had my way....sign back Ozuna and one of (Bauer, Stroman). Sign back Greene and/or MM. Try to move Ender if it isn’t too costly.

That’s it.

We still have a top heavy minors. At this point I’d like to keep guys like Davidson, Waters and Contreas. We will be needing to spend money in other areas after this year, so we need as many cheap options with talent as possible.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Assuming the NL gets the DH I expect Nelson Cruz to get a lot of attention. Can you sign Ozuna longer term? If you can’t then maybe Cruz makes sense on a one year deal? It’s day zero of the off season so just thinking out loud.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    So, I think AA will try for Bauer....BUT I think a guy that makes ALOT of sense on a one year “prove it” deal is Marcus Stroman. I would bet that’s who we target. I would say there will be plenty of interest from both sides on Bauer, but we will simply be outbid. I don’t think we need anymore than one vet with the pleasant surprises with our young pitchers.

Bullpen will be fine. We will sign back one or both of Greene and MM. AA will find another gem or two as usual.

Ozuna likely will be too expensive to bring back. This is the toughest call with the DH likely to be back. Do you pay a guy coming off a career season? I would lean towards yes, but it could bite the Braves. Ozuna has not always been healthy and we still have to sign Freddie back.

Pache, Duvall and Acuna are pretty much givens....Ender likely platooning with Duvall(Because I doubt we can move him)...and bye Nick. Waters should be up at some point.

We know Travis will be back and we have plenty of options for Flowers who will not be back. Travis became ineffective because he was so run down from catching every game. If you have a catcher you do not feel like you can play in a big game...that’s a killer.

Third base is a big question mark to me. Obviously if Ozuna is signed back, they will roll with Riley. If we do not make the deal with Ozuna....third base really needs to be upgraded. I don’t see Riley as the answer.

If I had my way....sign back Ozuna and one of (Bauer, Stroman). Sign back Greene and/or MM. Try to move Ender if it isn’t too costly.

That’s it.

We still have a top heavy minors. At this point I’d like to keep guys like Davidson, Waters and Contreas. We will be needing to spend money in other areas after this year, so we need as many cheap options with talent as possible.
    Why is Duvall a given when you consider Riley a liability? Other than the HR difference the stats are virtually the same, money lot less for Riley and enables AA to spend somewhere else. Not to mention ages.