Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2021 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Doing away with pickoffs seems like a smart way to shorten the game. The typical pickoff attempt is boring as hell. How much would it cut down on stolen base attempts if players knew that pitchers couldn't pick them off but they had to leave from the base on first movement?
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Doing away with pickoffs seems like a smart way to shorten the game. The typical pickoff attempt is boring as hell. How much would it cut down on stolen base attempts if players knew that pitchers couldn't pick them off but they had to leave from the base on first movement?
    I’m not a big fan of pickoffs but you would have to do something to curtail stolen bases. Maybe a 1B distance limitation (and catcher could still throw to 1B to keep them from leaning). Either way, not sure there’s anything to be done.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I think teams will push back hard on that sort of thing. They will argue that they can't afford that many players after 2020.
    It wouldn't affect individual teams. Rosters will likely go back to 26 for the regular season for all teams, so I'm not seeing how that would affect current ownership. There would be two entirely new franchises. That would mean another 52 players would be earning major league paychecks.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I’m not a big fan of pickoffs but you would have to do something to curtail stolen bases. Maybe a 1B distance limitation (and catcher could still throw to 1B to keep them from leaning). Either way, not sure there’s anything to be done.
    I've thought about this. I'm in favor of limiting pick offs and in favor of more steals. I think steals are exciting and it brings athletes to the game.

I think you could put in a line that would be farthest a player could go before the pitch. 1B could play off the bag. I would also eliminate the replay of every aspect of the steal. On a steal if you beat the tag to the bag then you are safe. I don't care if you came off for a micro second.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    I do think, like it or not, the DH is here to stay. Partly because before this year, every other level of baseball outside the NL had it. This season gave the perfect excuse to implement it. I saw Snitker gave the DH his endorsement, and I suspect more managers and other NL people will do the same.

The extra inning rule does not return, I hope. Just too much of a gimmick to me.

The three batter rule I think, is here to stay.

The wild card round was needed this year because of the 60 game schedule. Assuming we're back to 162 games, I don't see a need for that round. I don't see another change needed for the postseason format until MLB expands to 32 teams, which I believe will happen in the next 3-5 years.
    I think the expanded playoffs will happen after the strike. MLB seems very keen on it. They are likely right in that more playoffs is more money.

I do not think it is right that cubs got bounced or the Braves could have been. Especially in a short series. I like the idea of making the WC teams play each other for the right to play division winners. If you are playing 150 plus games you have to make the regular season matter. With expanded playoffs I feel like nobody will watch until the playoffs. And they have to fix the trade deadline. Having no impact guys move at the deadline b/c 2/3 are still in it and the prices get crazy is not going to work. Trades are more important than most games for fan interest.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I've thought about this. I'm in favor of limiting pick offs and in favor of more steals. I think steals are exciting and it brings athletes to the game.

I think you could put in a line that would be farthest a player could go before the pitch. 1B could play off the bag. I would also eliminate the replay of every aspect of the steal. On a steal if you beat the tag to the bag then you are safe. I don't care if you came off for a micro second.
    i think limiting pickoffs is a good idea.
    nothing is more annoying than when a game is already dragging, and the pitcher throws over 4+ times during an AB.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    just spit balling here, but what about after "x" amount of fouls, you're out?
    i know it's sort of a skill to be able to stay around during an AB, but sometimes the fouls get excessive and that also makes games take forever.
    i'm not advocating for it, just wondering what others think.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    How about a pitch limit? Throw 150+ pitches as a team and you can no longer throw any more.

That would limit the time of games.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    If you want a game on a time limit then watch a game with a clock.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I was ok with the DH obviously, been needed for years. Was ok with the extra inning rule for 60 games, for 162 kinda meh on it. Liked the 3 hitter rule for RP's. And i "hope" that the expanded playoffs was just for this year. If it's like that going forward, big yikes, the top seeds should both get byes if they're going to do that which i hope they dont.

And i hope they announce whether DH is here to stay before free agency so NL teams know how to operate in free agency. Like ya know, if Braves can be aggressive with Ozuna or another DH/hitter/hitters.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    No DH in NL in 2021!!! Thank God. One last year of real baseball. Gonna enjoy it!!!

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    No DH in NL in 2021!!! Thank God. One last year of real baseball. Gonna enjoy it!!!
    That’s probably the stupidest thing they could have done. Had teams build their teams a certain way for a year and then revert back. I’m also sure a good portion of pitchers didn’t take any batting practice this season, so that #9 spot in NL lineups should be extra special next year going to make Ender of this year look like Barry Bonds.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (10-22-2020)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    where did you find "Offical" report of this??
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    where did you find "Offical" report of this??
    Nothing official yet, but it's being reported on several sites as likely through a yet-to-be-released report. Just speculating here, but I think it hurts the Braves more than other teams given the dicey OF situation. Having the DH really bolstered our 1-6, but our 7-8-9 really stunk and you can't stink that badly at the bottom of the line-up. In the absence of the DH, we are going to need to find a lot better balance top-to-bottom. I think it makes Anthopolous' job a little harder.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    https://sports.yahoo.com/report-the-...194000216.html

Never should have been brought in to start with.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Good. I missed watching pitchers flail away at the plate a few times per night.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Not sure why you're celebrating Virginia, makes the Braves worse. Ozuna all but gone if that news is true and happens.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (10-22-2020)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Good. I missed watching pitchers flail away at the plate a few times per night.
    They should be raised through the game to be complete players. I used to bristle when people used to say pitchers were not athletes but specialization has made it accurate to a point. I am not calling for them to be offensive threats, but to be able to get a bunt down or to take a mistake up the middle for a base hit is not too much to ask.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (10-25-2020)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Not sure why you're celebrating Virginia, makes the Braves worse. Ozuna all but gone if that news is true and happens.
    He's gone anyway. As far as why I am celebrating, I want to see the game played as it should be. That 29 run game was a pathetic exhibition of baseball. With pitchers batting you wouldn't have had that mess.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    He's gone anyway. As far as why I am celebrating, I want to see the game played as it should be. That 29 run game was a pathetic exhibition of baseball. With pitchers batting you wouldn't have had that mess.
    Pitchers hitting is absolutely terrible and pointless. I'm praying every day the DH happens next year. AA will have his work cut out for him if there's no DH next year.