Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts

2021 season

Now that the 2020 season has ended we can discuss our thoughts on things moving forward. I am aware there are 4-7 games left to be played, but I don’t care about them.

-The universal DH was used during the last year. I think it’s here to stay. I was against it and still am, although I am not as anti DH as I was.

-Relievers were required to pitch to at least 3 batters unless they recorded an out to end a half inning (Please let me know if I have this incorrect). I am not a fan of this and it hurts teams like us last night. I hope this change does not stay.

-Extra innings rule was interesting and exciting, but I am not a supporter of it. It was good enough in the regular season, but not for the playoffs? I don’t think you can have it both ways. Adopt it completely or kick it to the curb.

Anything else that could be in play for next baseball season? What do people think of these new rules?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-20-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,286 Posts
    I liked the reliever rule and DH. I hated the extra inning rule.

In general, I think MLB did a respectable job managing the season after the rocky start (and unforgivable delay to the season)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,728 Posts
    I as well liked the reliever rule and DH and loathe the extra inning rule. I also really like the shorter season. It should be shortened to 100 games imo. 162 is just ridiculous long and the playoffs are about as absurd as having the teams face each other in a Tennis match. One thing I REALLY like about this years playoffs, even though it disadvantaged us this year, was playing all the games in a series in a row. Its all the offdays that make the playoffs BS.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Like or dislike the new rules doesnt really matter. What you have to do is look at them from the MLBPA side. They are now in the drivers seat. Believe it or not, corporate owners (Liberty Media is the only one to my knowledge) are in better shape to withstand yearly losses. Much better than private owners.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    I liked the playoff the format this season as well. I didn’t like the rapid-fire games every series though. They could have a day off or two for the LCS.
    I think 100 games isn’t enough. I think 144 has been talked about a lot and maybe that discussion could pick up steam. Could you add another round in the playoffs like we did this go around and still give an advantage to the top seeds (like a bye)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    If they keep the 16 team playoff format, I may be out.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts
    I hate the DH and the three batter rule - but those things go hand in hand. Can’t have one without the other. I suspect they are here to stay.
    As for number of games - why do less than 162 ?
    That means less Braves games at Truist. Screw that.
    As for playoffs, hopefully we go back to normal, but I suspect MLB will want to keep the expanded version- which means the trade deadline will be less exciting as more teams will still be in contention ..

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Even better...the seven game series in seven straight days idea. So bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    I hate the DH and the three batter rule - but those things go hand in hand. Can’t have one without the other. I suspect they are here to stay.
    As for number of games - why do less than 162 ?
    That means less Braves games at Truist. Screw that.
    As for playoffs, hopefully we go back to normal, but I suspect MLB will want to keep the expanded version- which means the trade deadline will be less exciting as more teams will still be in contention ..

I know they will never shorten the season for money reasons but I think the 162 game season grind is just too much on players the best regular season team is generally not the best playoff team. Every other sport you build a team simply to just win games. Baseball you have to build a team to win a marathon then hope you are also the best team at sprinting. Teams shouldnt be able to use only 3 starters if they use 5 during the regular season. Relievers shouldnt be able to pitch in every playoff game because. Changing it up to me is like if the NFL playoffs made games 8 quarters in the playoffs. It would drastically change how the game is played and which teams win. If we are going to play 162 games then the team with the best record is the best team in the majors. Playoffs arent really required unless records are really close. I almost wish a team with the best record one year would just declare themselves the champs and say screw the playoffs we aint playing.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    I would drop the 3-batter rule. It handcuffs managers when the score is close or tied, especially late in the game. I hate the DH, but resistance is futile it is here to stay. I hope we go back to "only" 10 playoff teams, but if MLB wants to let over half of the team into the playoffs and if they keep the seeding system, then I would like to see reseeding after each playoff round. Keep the 162 game schedule or cut it to 154 or maybe 144. Bring on the robot umpires for balls and strikes. They can't be much worse than what we have. On replays, the original call should be unknown to the replay umps. Just the call right. Finally, I want a salary cap and floor, to try to achieve better competitive balance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    I want Hawkeye, like tennis uses, for check swings.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to drewdat For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-20-2020)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I'm pro DH because it forces Snitker not to do stupid Snitker things.

Snit tried his damndest to make his presence known in this series a few times and the players bailed out his moves.

Making Minter pitch to extra batters the other day clearly affected his effectiveness in Game 7.
    Forever Fredi

15. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-20-2020)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post

Snit tried his damndest to make his presence known in this series a few times and the players bailed out his moves.

Making Minter pitch to extra batters the other day clearly affected his effectiveness in Game 7.
    I too am not a DH fan, but grew to like it this season. As long as we have a strong DH, it really eliminates the need for a strong bench (something we routinely don’t have). We can then afford to have defense only players like Inciarte because they don’t ever have to hit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Why the best is yet to come

The Braves lost, but the best is yet to come with this loaded organization

By Matt Snyder, Oct 19, 2020 at 1:09 am ET, 3 min read

The Atlanta Braves have fallen short of the World Series by one game. Their ousting came after they built a 3-1 lead in the NLCS against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Atlanta sports narrative aside, I'm sure Braves fans are hurting pretty good right now, but there is a bright side here. The Braves are in position to build on the 2020 season in a big way. The best is yet to come with this stacked franchise.

Remember, the ace of the staff heading into the season wasn't Max Fried. Ian Anderson hadn't even thrown a pitch in the majors prior to 2020. The ace was Mike Soroka. He tore his Achilles in his third start of the shortened season, and the Braves still made it to Game 7 of the NLCS against a juggernaut.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Players want shorter season, shorten the FA process. Owners will not give shorter season without longer playoff process. Owners want some salary relief or salary cap. Like it or not the DH is probably here to stay, have to have same rules both leagues. Should have been here long ago.
    TV wants anything that earns them more money. Players favor shorter games. Owners favor longer games.
    Who knows if there will even be a 2021 season with the pandemic showing no relief. What I do feel is that if there is a shorter season next year or no season then CBA will not impede 2022. If we get a full 2021 with fans in the stadium then 2022 is in danger of work stopage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    This.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post

Probably because he was trying to win that game.
    Ivermectin Man

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    16 is too many, but I could see them exploring some expansion. Maybe adding a 6th team to each league? 3 division winners and 3 wild cards. Two lowest wild card teams play a single playoff game and the winner advances to play the top wild card team in a 3 game series. The winner of that series plays the top seed in a best of 5. That is when the DS begins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I like the DH and 3 batter rule.
    I think the DH will not be back next year. I think MLB will hold that out as a thing they "give" on in the next year negotiations.

I hate the expanded playoffs.

If they want/need to do that to make more money then I would rather have a play in tournament. Shorten the season to 150. Division winners are in. X teams play to be the WC. Best record gets to pick WC or three seed to play.

If they expand the playoffs they have to do something about the trade deadline. Some people like trades and signings more than the games. You can't have so many teams in it and then a lack of sellers. I think I'd be ok with 4 teams playing for the WC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I really hope they set the rules before Free Agency. I know that seems basic but I do not trust manfred to do basic things.

NL not knowing about the DH would be a huge disadvantage.