Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    Sorry but I just disagree. The fact he was so good last year and is so advanced already at the age of 22 is scary. He sits 92-95 with movement and the location of his fastball will continue to improve. His slider because a weapon last year and he has the makings of two more plus pitches with his change up and curve. If he just continues to develop his fastball command and consistent change up he will be one of the best in baseball.
    Just don't see it (right now).

I wouldn't exactly say he was "so good" last year. Julio was barely making it to the 5th inning let alone 6th inning last year. He was not all to efficient with his pitch counts and a good portion of that is overthrowing and trying to blow past hitters. I remember several games at the top of my head where he was already around 80 pitches by the 4th inning. We all know Fredi's max is 100 for anyone not named Hudson. If Julio was in the 5th with runners on and around 88-90 pitches, Fredi would go to the pen asap.

It was a learning experience for him for sure because he realized it wasn't hte minors anymore and he couldn't just rely on stuff. Wood on the other hand was way more impressive with his command and pitch selection. He was much better at attacking hitters, and I think Fredi would have let him pitch deeper into games had he been stretched out the entire year and not in the bullpen.

My worry with Julio is does he have the smarts to figure out how to pitch to contact and get quick outs, as opposed to trying to plow through hitters.
    Forever Fredi

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Just don't see it (right now).

I wouldn't exactly say he was "so good" last year. Julio was barely making it to the 5th inning let alone 6th inning last year. He was not all to efficient with his pitch counts and a good portion of that is overthrowing and trying to blow past hitters. I remember several games at the top of my head where he was already around 80 pitches by the 4th inning. We all know Fredi's max is 100 for anyone not named Hudson. If Julio was in the 5th with runners on and around 88-90 pitches, Fredi would go to the pen asap.
    As a 22 year old in his first season Julio pitched 6 innings or longer in 23 of his 30 starts. I call that impressive.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to emk418 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-20-2013), Heyward (12-20-2013), thethe (12-20-2013), yeezus (12-20-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    He is the top prospect in the system, so they would have named him specifically if that was the case.

Most likely the package would have been Wood plus CB plus 2 of the "other" top 15-20 guys that are nothing more than fringe MLB lottery tickets.
    Bowman writes: "To acquire him [Price] from the Rays, the Braves would have likely had to give up Alex Wood, Christian Bethancourt and two other top prospects, one of which would have likely been Lucas Sims, who has the potential to one day earn the rare distinction of being a legitimate ace."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Heyward (12-20-2013), yeezus (12-20-2013)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    He is the top prospect in the system, so they would have named him specifically if that was the case.

Most likely the package would have been Wood plus CB plus 2 of the "other" top 15-20 guys that are nothing more than fringe MLB lottery tickets.

If that's the case then I think I'd have to go ahead and make that trade.
    So you think we could of got DAVID PRICE for Wood, CB, Northcraft, and Hale.

Or something along those lines.

I'd love to know what drugs you're on, because there is zero chance TB accepts that for Price.

Bowman already said it would of had to include Sims on top of CB and Wood.

TB would laugh and hang up right away if FW offered that, rightfully so.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I like Wood, but he isnt as good as Julio.

Julio has ace-type stuff.

Plus fastball, with great control, good off-speed stuff, and he's just 22.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Wood has wicked stuff. Ace level stuff.But like Beachy he's an injury trainwreck waiting to happen.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Beachy has bad mechanics? That's news to me.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Wood has wicked stuff. Ace level stuff.But like Beachy he's an injury trainwreck waiting to happen.
    Beachy has good mechanics.

I dont see where you're going with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Beachy has bad mechanics? That's news to me.
    He has pretty dang bad (at least pre-surgery, didn't check anything last year) hip/shoulder separation. Good separation leads to more power coming from your leg, bad leads to more power being used by your shoulder/arm which leads to injuries. Beachy also has an inverted W which potentially hints at a timing issue. Many pitchers have bad mechanics, Beachy has really bad mechanics.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Lol. Zito makes the argument Hanson has good mechanics and Beachy is bad. I think the fact beachy onky started pitching after he was signed out of college has more to do with it. Beachy and Lohse have very similar mechanics.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Lol. Zito makes the argument Hanson has good mechanics and Beachy is bad. I think the fact beachy onky started pitching after he was signed out of college has more to do with it. Beachy and Lohse have very similar mechanics.
    I never ever said Hanson had good mechanics. I said he had weird mechanics so you can't just assume they're bad mechanics. I never did the research into Hanson, obviously he had issues as seen with his shoulder injuries.

Watch Beachy pitch. Starts at about the 1 minute mark

Compare to a pitcher with good mechanics. Verlander.

Are you really gonna say they're comparable?

You may have a point about him being a conv erted position player, but that doesnt excuse him from poor mechanics. He repeats his mechanics so his success is legit. WE should ride him for 2 seasons then cut him loose.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    He has pretty dang bad (at least pre-surgery, didn't check anything last year) hip/shoulder separation. Good separation leads to more power coming from your leg, bad leads to more power being used by your shoulder/arm which leads to injuries. Beachy also has an inverted W which potentially hints at a timing issue. Many pitchers have bad mechanics, Beachy has really bad mechanics.
    Bull****.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    I never ever said Hanson had good mechanics. I said he had weird mechanics so you can't just assume they're bad mechanics. I never did the research into Hanson, obviously he had issues as seen with his shoulder injuries.

Watch Beachy pitch. Starts at about the 1 minute mark

Compare to a pitcher with good mechanics. Verlander.

Are you really gonna say they're comparable?

You may have a point about him being a conv erted position player, but that doesnt excuse him from poor mechanics. He repeats his mechanics so his success is legit. WE should ride him for 2 seasons then cut him loose.
    No, not comparable. Verlander has terrible balance, leaps off the rubber at the plate, has and unnatural whip at the end, overthrows every pitch and has never had an injury.

Funny business, throwing a baseball for a living. Violent.
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 12-20-2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Spell check helped me spell "Verlander."

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Wow you never said he had good mechanics. A complete flip flop. I argued years ago he had bad mechanics and you defended it relentlessly saying the leg and core power.

Verlander is an exception to the rule much like Nolan Ryan was. They're freaks of nature. I don't think either should be used as poster childs for mechanics.

Weird was never used. I am not making this up out of thin air. I bust your balls about it every time mechanics is brought up.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I posted evidence, you posted none, lovely.

Really cool pic comparing Beachy to Kershaw. Notice their body positioning. See how Beachy's arm is in front, while KErshaw's body leads his arm. That's almost always the difference between great echanics and poor ones. Great ones don't over utilize anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Wow you never said he had good mechanics. A complete flip flop. I argued years ago he had bad mechanics and you defended it relentlessly saying the leg and core power.

Verlander is an exception to the rule much like Nolan Ryan was. They're freaks of nature. I don't think either should be used as poster childs for mechanics.

Weird was never used. I am not making this up out of thin air. I bust your balls about it every time mechanics is brought up.
    Nolan Ryan shouldn't be the poster child for Mechanics

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    No, not comparable. Veer lander has terrible balance, leaps off the rubber at the plate, has and unnatural whip at the end, overthrows every pitch and has never had an injury.

Funny business, throwing a baseball for a living. Violent.
    Lol he overthrows? Are you for real?

The dumb **** said in the last few posts has been too much. Verlander overthorws, Ryan isn't a poster child for mechanics.

Verlander can throw hard and so many pitches for a reason. Highly efficient mechanics that pull ppower from his leg to his arm. Beachy's speed to the plate is why he struggles converting the power from his legs up.

Look up hip and shoulder separation, it will open your mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    I don't think there's a problem with Beachy's mechanics. I was being a little facetious with my Verlander comments, but he is a max effort guy and has gotten away with that for a long time.

I am fully versed in pitching mechanics, including hip-shoulder separation and your inverted 'W' (isnt that just an 'M'?) and I'm not seeing whatever you're seeing. Nearly half the pitchers in the majors have had Tommy John, so please don't tell me his poor mechanics led to some injury that he wouldn't have gotten with good mechanics. It's a bit of a crapshoot, who gets hurt and who doesn't. Genetics and minor biomechanical differences, largely genetic.

Except Tommy Hanson. He was a train wreck from the get-go. We're lucky to have salvaged a serviceable reliever out of that mess.
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 12-20-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    I posted evidence, you posted none, lovely.

Really cool pic comparing Beachy to Kershaw. Notice their body positioning. See how Beachy's arm is in front, while KErshaw's body leads his arm. That's almost always the difference between great echanics and poor ones. Great ones don't over utilize anything.

How could your arm lead your body? Lot of dumb **** being said these last several posts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I think that having poor mechanics is really common honestly. Or at least having a glitch that leads to a problem.

As far as beachy and an inverted W (It's not called an M because whoever first came up with it called it an inverted W, kinda dumb) here's a stock photo

You can also see it in slow motion video clips.

I think that some guys are super healthy is not an accident or freaky. Guys like Maddux, Clemens, RJ, Seaver, and Ryan have almost perfect mechanics.