Results 2,461 to 2,480 of 12031

Thread: The Biden Presidency

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    In order to make the same of that working... I'd need to find a job that pays me $17.50 for 40 hours a week.

Of course, Obamacare restrictions really make employers want to keep hourly employees at no more than $32 hours per week. So now you need to find a job that pays $21.87 per hour.

That's just to break even.

Why would someone work 32 hours a week when they can sit at home and make the same income?

So, realistically, we need to pay something like $25/HR for 32 hours... This would allow a worker to make an extra $100 a week (a measly $3.12/hr raise from just sitting home)

Now how many small businesses can afford to pay low skilled employees $25/hr?

Hell, how many corporations can?

Goldy is an idiot who doesn't understand simple math. But McannCans seems pretty bright to me. So I would ask him if it's reasonable to expect a local small business restaurant to pay a bus boy $25/HR? Does that bus boy provide that much value back to the restaurant? (I. E, at least $25/hr of profit)

Incentives are everything to humans... Right now the incentives are stacked NOT to work.

This hurts the people not working. It makes them lazy and dependent, and they aren't gaining any new skills or experience ... But it crushes small business who can't afford to staff their operation just to survive.

Then of course... Unemployment raises and the Dems naturally go to "see?!? We need to give MOAR stimulus"

And that's before we even start talking about the inflation disaster
    Bump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Everyone happy so far?

Stagflation
    Stock market crash
    Gas lines
    Middle East conflict

You get what you “vote” for....
    Natural Immunity Croc

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-13-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Everyone happy so far?

Stagflation
    Stock market crash
    Gas lines
    Middle East conflict

no Jared no peace
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Everyone happy so far?

Stagflation
    Stock market crash
    Gas lines
    Middle East conflict

happy as ****

thanks for checking in
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    no Jared no peace
    More like support terrorism get terrorism
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    happy as ****

thanks for checking in
    Just curious but what specifically are you happiest about

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Bump
    Where are you getting $17.50 from? We are in agreement that almost no business can afford to pay low-skilled workers $25/hour, but I'm not sure why that is part of the discussion.

Let's use fast food as the example since a busboy might fall under tipped wages which is a whole different issue. If I make even just $10/hour working 40 hours per week at a Wendy's where I live in Colorado, I'd be looking at $20,800 in gross income minus $850 for federal taxes, $1,591 for FICA, and another $390 in state tax. That leaves me with about 18,000 in income in addition to my benefits, or nearly a 20% raise over what I could get by taking the $300 weekly checks. That would be an easy decision for most workers at that income level.

I own a business and I have no problem paying well above minimum wage plus benefits for my employees- it's not apples to apples because I'm hiring more skilled labor than your average fast-food worker, but the point stands: Any company that has a decent business model- which includes, for example, all fast-food restaurants- should be able to pay their workers more than what they would make on unemployment (and more than what our federal minimum wage currently is). If a premise of your business being profitable is that you can only pay an employee $7.50/hour and you want to avoid offering them benefits, then again the issue is with your business having terrible margins, not with the people who don't want to work for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    Where are you getting $17.50 from? We are in agreement that almost no business can afford to pay low-skilled workers $25/hour, but I'm not sure why that is part of the discussion.

Let's use fast food as the example since a busboy might fall under tipped wages which is a whole different issue. If I make even just $10/hour working 40 hours per week at a Wendy's where I live in Colorado, I'd be looking at $20,800 in gross income minus $850 for federal taxes, $1,591 for FICA, and another $390 in state tax. That leaves me with about 18,000 in income in addition to my benefits, or nearly a 20% raise over what I could get by taking the $300 weekly checks. That would be an easy decision for most workers at that income level.

I own a business and I have no problem paying well above minimum wage plus benefits for my employees- it's not apples to apples because I'm hiring more skilled labor than your average fast-food worker, but the point stands: Any company that has a decent business model- which includes, for example, all fast-food restaurants- should be able to pay their workers more than what they would make on unemployment (and more than what our federal minimum wage currently is). If a premise of your business being profitable is that you can only pay an employee $7.50/hour and you want to avoid offering them benefits, then again the issue is with your business having terrible margins, not with the people who don't want to work for you.
    Bc the average weekly unemployment payments are $700, not $300 as you keep saying. ($400 standard plus $300 covid relief)

Part time workers rarely are able to find a job for more than 32 hours per week due to insurance requirements of the business.

$700 / 32 hours = $21.87 per hour to stay at home

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    never mentions that maybe the people at the top make less money so people at the bottom can have a livable wage instead of keeping them in poverty

but hey, on brand for you
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    never mentions that maybe the people at the top make less money so people at the bottom can have a livable wage instead of keeping them in poverty

but hey, on brand for you
    If we divided up Walmart CEO pay of $22M and distributed it evenly to all their employees... each employee can make an additional $9 per year

I know math ain't your thing so, on brand for you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    is that what you think i meant?

cool, explains a lot

your brain is so one track.i know you are really clever and smart, you'll get there eventually
    Last edited by goldfly; 05-12-2021 at 12:00 PM.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    happy as ****

thanks for checking in
    Not only am I beyond happy with the current administration, I also take great pleasure in seeing Thethe and Sturg lose their collective minds every day with their dozen+ daily posts whining and bitching lol. Thanks for continuing to make my day. Keep up the great work!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tululush For This Useful Post:

goldfly (05-12-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Not only am I beyond happy with the current administration, I also take great pleasure in seeing Thethe and Sturg lose their collective minds every day with their dozen+ daily posts whining and bitching lol. Thanks for continuing to make my day. Keep up the great work!
    Glad to live in your mind rent free.

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    is that what you think i meant?

cool, explains a lot

your brain is so one track.i know you are really clever and smart, you'll get there eventually
    Yeah I guess I got thrown off by the statwment:

"People at the top make less money so people at the bottom can have a liveable wage"

Glad to know you didn't actually mean that completely stupid point

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Bc the average weekly unemployment payments are $700, not $300 as you keep saying. ($400 standard plus $300 covid relief)

Part time workers rarely are able to find a job for more than 32 hours per week due to insurance requirements of the business.

$700 / 32 hours = $21.87 per hour to stay at home
    Maybe I'm not as good at math as you thought. Thanks for pointing that out.

In my view, though, the point still stands: regardless of what the national average is, a CO Wendy's worker making minimum wage would get $174 in a typical unemployment check (60% of the average weekly pay over the last two quarters) plus the $300 for total annual pay of $24,648. You'd have to pay them between $14-15/hour to beat that after taxes, which seems entirely reasonable to me. Again, the bigger issue here is that the average wage in the L&H industry comes out to about $20,000 after taxes. I think- as most voters nationally do- that we should pay people more than that, and I hope that companies start doing so when the government stops.

Here is the bigger point beyond the math though: the evidence doesn't support that expanded UI is keeping workers at home.
    - When there is a labor shortage, you expect to see rapid wage growth as employers compete for talent. Wage acceleration is definitely happening in the leisure and hospitality industry, but that is just a return to normalcy and average wages haven't yet returned to pre-pandemic rates. If we start seeing wages accelerate past pre-pandemic averages, then I'll join you in being concerned.
    - That wage acceleration is very much focused on the L&H sector, which doesn't have a particularly high correlation to wages in other industries as we saw when wages dropped there much faster than in other sectors in 2020.
    - The L&H industry still saw more job growth than any other sector by a significant margin, and again most of this is just because it was so far behind other sectors to begin with.
    - Low-wage industries saw much higher job growth than higher-wage sectors in April, which isn't what you would expect to see if UI was truly preventing poor people from working.
    - The bigger issues in the labor market seem to be two things: 1) People are still afraid to go to work, which is why you see a very firm correlation between improving unemployment rates and improving vaccination rates and 2) Schools are still closed- which is something I imagine we agree on is a shame- which is preventing mothers from getting back into the workforce.

If we could get more people vaccinated and get more schools open, then I imagine you would see any concerns about labor shortages dissipate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    I don’t think so- I work with a ton of different employers and that’s not what people/prospects are telling them

A lot of more people are now turning to H2A for labor in the agriculture sector that haven’t before
    Ivermectin Man

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-13-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    If we divided up Walmart CEO pay of $22M and distributed it evenly to all their employees... each employee can make an additional $9 per year

I know math ain't your thing so, on brand for you
    How does that work if applied to $13.5 billion of profits.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-13-2021)

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Glad to live in your mind rent free.

Thanks!
    Lol your reading comprehension skills are on par with all of your other deficiencies in life. My dude, you literally word vomit all over this forum countless times a day. All anyone has to do is visit any of the threads on the locker room side of this message board and see you whine and lose your mind daily. It’s glorious to see how much you are triggered by the world around us. Your perception is far from reality. Please, carry on. It’s free entertainment for anyone who reads the boards.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to tululush For This Useful Post:

goldfly (05-12-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    How does that work if applied to $13.5 billion of profits.
    An addition $5k per year per employee.

But then investors would stop investing and that would probably lead to people being let go

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Lol your reading comprehension skills are on par with all of your other deficiencies in life. My dude, you literally word vomit all over this forum countless times a day. All anyone has to do is visit any of the threads on the locker room side of this message board and see you whine and lose your mind daily. It’s glorious to see how much you are triggered by the world around us. Your perception is far from reality. Please, carry on. It’s free entertainment for anyone who reads the boards.
    Shhh shhh Pocahontas