Page 35 of 600 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135535 ... LastLast

Thread: The Biden Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    For those wondering why cancelling the Keystone Pipeline on the first day was a disappointing and showed a lack of intent to compromise and unite, here's why:

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden...b8da8d81893543

Biden essentially prioritized the symbolic win of cancelling the pipeline over respect for one of our closest allies. There would be ZERO negative real world impact of letting Canada come and make their case and give them a chance to be heard before cancelling it. Who knows, maybe something better could have been achieved. But Biden didn't want that. He wasn't willing to compromise even a minuscule amount and hold off this order when holding off would cost him nothing.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    For those wondering why cancelling the Keystone Pipeline on the first day was a disappointing and showed a lack of intent to compromise and unite, here's why:

Biden essentially prioritized the symbolic win of cancelling the pipeline over respect for one of our closest allies. There would be ZERO negative real world impact of letting Canada come and make their case and give them a chance to be heard before cancelling it. Who knows, maybe something better could have been achieved. But Biden didn't want that. He wasn't willing to compromise even a minuscule amount and hold off this order when holding off would cost him nothing.
    People that praised promises being kept

Are upset that a promise was kept

Noted

I seriously don’t care about hearing from unity people from the “**** your feelings” and won’t hold people responsible to actually unify

If trump won, there would be absolutely no call or attempt to unify.

Non trump people/ cult members aren’t there ones that need to move across the aisle to unify. The cult and those who still enable it are the ones that need to move more to our side
    Last edited by goldfly; 01-21-2021 at 10:46 AM.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    It's not radical lefty stuff. It's a solid left turn though and not one designed to unite.

I have issues with some of the executive orders that are straight, as was put earlier, virtue signalling. They aren't there to do any good. In fact some of them do more harm than good. They're issued to check liberal boxes and show that Biden is taking a progressive direction.

Specifically, the change of the name of the US Ambassador to Israel. What good is done by that? The only practical effect was to piss off Israel. If that order doesn't happen, no one says a word. You can change the stance with Israel is a far more savvy way than this. It's a blundering move designed to signal to elements of his party that he's giving them what they want.

Then you have the Keystone pipeline. In what world is that a day 1 task? Trudeau, who no one would characterize as conservative, is a proponent of the pipeline and wanted to discuss the pipeline with Biden. But Biden wanted to pander to the left and give them their symbolic win that really doesn't have much effect.

Basically, Biden is making symbolic moves to satisfy the left that have real world net negative impacts.
    Much of the Day 1 stuff is sort of meant to be symbolic. Rejoining the Paris Agreement and WHO are symbolic steps away from Trump’s policies. Renaming the Ambassador role is reaffirming that while we support Israel, we aren’t going to hold the same position in their conflict with Palestine. As for the Keystone Pipeline, it’s not a hard left move to oppose it. Trudeau supporting it doesn’t mean that opposing it is radical. There are many reasons to oppose the Pipeline, and I don’t see that as that strong of a shift.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    People that praised promises being kept

Are upset that a promise was kept
    It's a stupid promise to make, especially if you want to be a unifying president. I also don't think many would have faulted him for deciding to wait to act at the behest of the leader of Canada. You just say "Prime Minister Trudeau has asked me to defer any orders until a Canadian delegation gets a chance to discuss it with my administration. Our of respect for our close ally I have agreed to defer action until this meeting is completed"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Much of the Day 1 stuff is sort of meant to be symbolic. Rejoining the Paris Agreement and WHO are symbolic steps away from Trump’s policies. Renaming the Ambassador role is reaffirming that while we support Israel, we aren’t going to hold the same position in their conflict with Palestine. As for the Keystone Pipeline, it’s not a hard left move to oppose it. Trudeau supporting it doesn’t mean that opposing it is radical. There are many reasons to oppose the Pipeline, and I don’t see that as that strong of a shift.
    I think putting the Pipeline and the change of the name of the Ambassador as day one items is pandering to the left wing of the party. It's definitely not signaling he'll be a moderate that takes everything into consideration before making a move.

We'll see how he goes from here. It's a weak start for a unifying presidency. But then again, did anyone actually expect Biden to be unifier?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    The Keystone Pipeline is ****ing terrible.

“The victory ending the KXL pipeline is an act of courage and restorative justice by the Biden administration. It gives tribes and Mother Earth a serious message of hope for future generations as we face the threat of climate change. It aligns Indigenous environmental knowledge with presidential priorities that benefit everyone,” said Faith Spotted Eagle, founder of Brave Heart Society and a member of the Ihanktonwan Dakota nation."

“This is a vindication of 10 years defending our waters and treaty rights from this tar sands carbon bomb. I applaud President Biden for recognizing how dangerous KXL is for our communities and climate and I look forward to similar executive action to stop DAPL and Line 3 based on those very same dangers,” said Dallas Goldtooth, a member of the Mdewakanton Dakota and Dine nations and the Keep It In The Ground campaign organizer for the Indigenous Environmental Network.

“No more broken promises, no more broken Treaties … We urge you to fulfill the United States promise of sovereign relations with Tribes, and your commitment to robust climate action.”

Those voices matter FAR MORE in this case than Trudeau's, and they were finally heard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    the literal last 3 weeks of the USA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    The Keystone Pipeline is ****ing terrible.

“The victory ending the KXL pipeline is an act of courage and restorative justice by the Biden administration. It gives tribes and Mother Earth a serious message of hope for future generations as we face the threat of climate change. It aligns Indigenous environmental knowledge with presidential priorities that benefit everyone,” said Faith Spotted Eagle, founder of Brave Heart Society and a member of the Ihanktonwan Dakota nation."

“This is a vindication of 10 years defending our waters and treaty rights from this tar sands carbon bomb. I applaud President Biden for recognizing how dangerous KXL is for our communities and climate and I look forward to similar executive action to stop DAPL and Line 3 based on those very same dangers,” said Dallas Goldtooth, a member of the Mdewakanton Dakota and Dine nations and the Keep It In The Ground campaign organizer for the Indigenous Environmental Network.

“No more broken promises, no more broken Treaties … We urge you to fulfill the United States promise of sovereign relations with Tribes, and your commitment to robust climate action.”

Those voices matter FAR MORE in this case than Trudeau's, and they were finally heard.
    You can want the pipeline stopped. There are certainly arguments against it. My complaint is how Biden went about it. A moderate wanting to make well considered decisions would not have ignored a request from a close ally and impetuously signed an executive order. He would have waited, taken what Canada had to say into consideration, and then made his decision. It might have been the same result. Probably would have been. But it would have been taking a measured approach instead of an ideological fueled reaction.

And that's my complaint. Biden has been trying to wear this mantle of being a a moderate who is the perfect choice to unite the country after the divisive presidency of Trump. He's trying to cast himself as the man who will restore reason to politics. And his first actions are these. It's disappointing.

I honestly don't care what the result of the Keystone pipeline is. I have no dogs in that fight. It's just a terrible way to go about it and is a strike against the idea that Biden will bring a moderating influence to American politics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Much of the Day 1 stuff is sort of meant to be symbolic. Rejoining the Paris Agreement and WHO are symbolic steps away from TrumpÂ’s policies. Renaming the Ambassador role is reaffirming that while we support Israel, we arenÂ’t going to hold the same position in their conflict with Palestine. As for the Keystone Pipeline, itÂ’s not a hard left move to oppose it. Trudeau supporting it doesnÂ’t mean that opposing it is radical. There are many reasons to oppose the Pipeline, and I donÂ’t see that as that strong of a shift.

Both the Pipeline and Israel issues were snubs to some of our closest allies, hours after a speech that said our allies and the world should be reassured because we were reengaging.
    The Paris Agreement has consequences that are from symbolic. That treaty might as well have been written by China for the pass it gives them and the screw job it gives us. The WHO isn't as bad, but it has become similar to the UN. We spend far too much paying both to be openly hostile to us while they fete bad actors.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    I'm not actually sure the Paris Agreement was legally entered into. IIRC, and its been a while, Obama tried to do it by executive agreement but there's a good chance it goes beyond that power. If it goes to the SCOTUS there's a good chance they say it has to be ratified by the Senate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I think he did Paris Climate to
    a) troll Ted Cruz
    b) to own "the #MAGA"
    //////

reentering talks with Iran on the table too
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Honest question, have any of Biden's executive actions included anything that resembles an olive branch to Republicans?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    You can want the pipeline stopped. There are certainly arguments against it. My complaint is how Biden went about it. A moderate wanting to make well considered decisions would not have ignored a request from a close ally and impetuously signed an executive order. He would have waited, taken what Canada had to say into consideration, and then made his decision. It might have been the same result. Probably would have been. But it would have been taking a measured approach instead of an ideological fueled reaction.

And that's my complaint. Biden has been trying to wear this mantle of being a a moderate who is the perfect choice to unite the country after the divisive presidency of Trump. He's trying to cast himself as the man who will restore reason to politics. And his first actions are these. It's disappointing.

I honestly don't care what the result of the Keystone pipeline is. I have no dogs in that fight. It's just a terrible way to go about it and is a strike against the idea that Biden will bring a moderating influence to American politics.
    I find it more insulting to an ally to waste their time with a pointless meeting. His decision had been made. No point in meaningless gestures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I find it more insulting to an ally to waste their time with a pointless meeting. His decision had been made. No point in meaningless gestures.
    In that case the condemnation of Biden is to be so closed minded that he can't even listen to a close ally and see what they have to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    In that case the condemnation of Biden is to be so closed minded that he can't even listen to a close ally and see what they have to say.
    Hardly. This issue has been around for a long time. He has had PLENTY of time to research both sides. There are going to be tons of issues where there should be meetings to discuss pros and cons of both sides and all that. This is not one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

I find it hard to believe that during the past two months there wasn’t some sort of conversation between the transition team and Trudeau Administration regarding the issue. The only actual lawmaker stating this would damage the relationship is Jason Kenney, a staunch supporter of the production of fossil fuels. Biden also needed to weigh this opposition from Canada with promises made to Indigenous communities and with the environmental impact of the pipeline overall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Honest question, have any of Biden's executive actions included anything that resembles an olive branch to Republicans?
    The Republican Party has primarily controlled the government for the past 4 years. What EO would Biden issue on Day 1 that Republicans wouldn’t already have in place?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    By the way, he was involved with those meetings that took place in 2010. Why should there be more now? Trump sure didn't have any meetings with Indigenous people to see their side before approving it. At least Biden had already heard Canada's point of view a decade ago, and it hasn't changed (unfortunately).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    The Republican Party has primarily controlled the government for the past 4 years. What EO would Biden issue on Day 1 that Republicans wouldn’t already have in place?
    Right? How can you extend an olive branch to someone who took the whole ****ing tree? Not to mention that he has promises to keep to the actual people who voted for him. Maybe we should wait until he actually does those things before seeing what the Republicans want that they haven't already taken in the past 4 years.