Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Accurate

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Is there going to be any retrospective, or introspective, on the hunter Biden laptop story?

Are the commies who called us all stupid, not feeling how uselessly stupid they are themselves?

Or is this yet another issue that will be pretended never happened until the next thing pops up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Is there going to be any retrospective, or introspective, on the hunter Biden laptop story?

Are the commies who called us all stupid, not feeling how uselessly stupid they are themselves?

Or is this yet another issue that will be pretended never happened until the next thing pops up
    Obviously the latter.
    Natural Immunity Croc

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Lol

Y’all back about that stupid laptop lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Lol

Y’all back about that stupid laptop lol
    No.

Back about the coordinated collusion to cover it up

You were wrong.

Again.

You should be embarrassed for being so stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    exactly... slavery back on the table!

and that women voting thing too
    Post 1820 already covers the reply to this

But yeah, like hilarious joke bro

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    No.

Back about the coordinated collusion to cover it up

You were wrong.

Again.

You should be embarrassed for being so stupid
    Yeah, being called stupid from the likes of you should really bother me lol

You really think highly of yourself haha
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

BDS

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

goldfly (04-09-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Very interesting conversation. Marc Maron doesn't pull any punches with Hunter Biden podcast.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-1215-hunter-biden
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,728 Posts
    Did I miss a new development in the Hunter Biden laptop story?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,728 Posts
    Accurate

Are you claiming Joe Biden personally ordered the fences and **** in the Capitol?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think John Paul Stevens' dissent in District of Columbia v Heller is something that one day the court will move toward.

Key sentences from the dissent: "When each word in the text is given full effect, the Amendment is most naturally read to secure to the people a right to use and possess arms in conjunction with service in a well-regulated militia. So far as appears, no more than that was contemplated by its drafters or is encompassed within its terms."

It is worth noting as Stevens does in his dissent that several states submitted language on the right to bear arms that did NOT place this within the context of a militia and that those proposals were NOT adopted.
    A court made up of liberal justices could move the ball back towards Stevens position but I don't know if they'd go that far. Dissents help keep legal theories alive but a dissenting judge has fewer prudential concerns to worry about. When dissenting, you don't have to concern yourself with upsetting the law, taking a position that's too extreme, or causing people to lose respect for the judiciary.

I also think Stevens was entirely off base. Full disclosure, I don't have much respect for Stevens as a jurist, especially towards the end of his career. I think he saw himself as a super-legislator rather than an arbiter of the law. It's a common affliction of SCOTUS justices, he was just worse than most.

The problem with Stevens position is that it runs counter to the plain language of the amendment. One of the strongest guiding principles of interpretation of any contract, statute, or constitution is to look at the plain language. Judges get into trouble when they start torturing language to mean something different than it says or when they start adding words to change the meaning. You get into other aspects of interpretation when dealing with ambiguity. If the plain language has a meaning then you should go with that.

Here, the plain language says that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The part of the sentence about the militia reveals a justification of the framers' reasoning but the amendment is not written for the militia section to be a limitation on the right to keep an bear arms.

If it had said "The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed in any way so as to limit the states forming well regulated militias" you'd have a different scenario. The language there sets the well regulated militia as the bounds of the right to keep an bear arms and would allow regulations outside that context.

The only way you get to the militia portion of the amendment being a limitation is to assume the framers screwed up when they wrote the amendment and that all the states that ratified the amendment knew what they meant. You have to go in and edit the language to make Stevens' interpretation make sense.

That being said, I don't agree with the people that say you should be able to own a suitcase nuke or missile launcher if you want. No rights in the Constitution are absolute. All can be limited if the regulation is narrowly tailored to address a compelling government interest. Not even speech is absolute. So it's not an all or nothing situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Are you claiming Joe Biden personally ordered the fences and **** in the Capitol?
    Just like how Obama did nothing as president on 9/11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Thing is several states proposed versions of 2A that did not place the right to bear arms within the context of a militia. And those versions were not adopted. Why have any mention of militia. It is there. The historical context makes it pretty clear that 2A is about states rights vis a vis federal power, and is meant to prevent the federal government from suppressing the militias that the states had at the time.

Here's a long article by the historian John Ellis that discusses the historical context.

https://www.americanheritage.com/wha...nt-really-mean
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-09-2021 at 08:05 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    The lack of self awareness is astounding

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I have no idea who ordered it up.... but Biden hasn't ordered it down. He does what every tyrant does... surrounds himself with guns while disarming the citizens

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    BDS
    my favorite thing with it though

it

everything is terrible

and somehow at the same time

he's doing the exact same thing trump would do

but it's still terrible now as well

lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I have no idea who ordered it up.... but Biden hasn't ordered it down. He does what every tyrant does... surrounds himself with guns while disarming the citizens
    lol

yes

just like the great gun purge of the Obama years

they are back for more

lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    He laid out his intentions yesterday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Thing is several states proposed versions of 2A that did not place the right to bear arms within the context of a militia. And those versions were not adopted. Why have any mention of militia. It is there. The historical context makes it pretty clear that 2A is about states rights vis a vis federal power, and is meant to prevent the federal government from suppressing the militias that the states had at the time.

Here's a long article by the historian John Ellis that discusses the historical context.

https://www.americanheritage.com/wha...nt-really-mean
    Justification is not the same as a limitation.

If we start digging into the justifications of why certain rights were put into place, we could really start to undermine some rights we take for granted. For example, it's pretty clear the Framers wanted to protect political discourse when they established the first amendment. Today, however, the first amendment stretches far beyond the justifications for such an amendment at the time. You can lie about being a veteran while begging on the street and your lies are protected by the first amendment.

The Bill of Rights isn't in force only to the extent the framers justified it.

As for this one including the militia language, again, it reads as a justification or perhaps and emphasis. They're stripping the power to infringe on the right to keep an bear arms and as part of this they're explaining to states they're not banning militias.