Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue State Nationalism

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Blue State Nationalism

I know that this will strike some as extreme, but I think all sides involved would benefit from a divorce.

The divide in terms of culture and values has become such that we have completely different conceptions about where we want to go.

I could add a few additional inflammatory comments, but I'd rather have an even-tempered discussion.

I'll just say that I'd rather not risk having to live through another four years with someone like very poorly chosen one as president. And that risk looks to me to remain too high for the foreseeable future.

We can do this as a country in an amicable way. Czechoslovakia showed it can be done.

We can continue to do certain things, like sports leagues, together. Economic ties can remain close. But politically we elect different national governments.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-09-2020 at 11:42 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    This will happen after the civil war.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Or we can just start moving power back away from the federal government to the states. The federal government is way more powerful today than it was originally intended to be. I think States having mover freedom to pursue their separate preferences would be a good thing. Stay together for mutual defense and influence but free to pursue our separate ideals.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (11-09-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Or we can just start moving power back away from the federal government to the states. The federal government is way more powerful today than it was originally intended to be. I think States having mover freedom to pursue their separate preferences would be a good thing. Stay together for mutual defense and influence but free to pursue our separate ideals.
    I think you will just see more movement towards the federal government. There is already a strong sentiment towards nationalizing the elections process.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I was talking to a friend who is a psychologist. He told me about how the stress levels for his patients on both sides of the political divide have been off the charts. Because of politics. Once upon a time no one would have said that. Carter vs Ford. People voted one way and really didn't care much if the other guy won. Now it is a completely different animal. People's sense of well being is tied up into election outcomes. When it gets to that point it is better to just go our separate ways. Red state people will no longer feel disrespected. Blue state people will no longer have their sensibilities offended. It won't solve all problems. But I really think it would be better for all concerned.

"I am your retribution."

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    All kidding aside, if we can make it a 3 way split where libertarians get a land mass of around 2% of the current US (let’s say, I dunno, South Dakota for example), I’m in.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (11-09-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I know that this will strike some as extreme, but I think all sides involved would benefit from a divorce.

The divide in terms of culture and values has become such that we have completely different conceptions about where we want to go.

I could add a few additional inflammatory comments, but I'd rather have an even-tempered discussion.

I'll just say that I'd rather not risk having to live through another four years with someone like very poorly chosen one as president. And that risk looks to me to remain too high for the foreseeable future.

We can do this as a country in an amicable way. Czechoslovakia showed it can be done.

We can continue to do certain things, like sports leagues, together. Economic ties can remain close. But politically we elect different national governments.
    Maybe I'm too much of a romantic, but I think both sides need each other.

Besides nascpi, you wouldn't want the far right label you would get under the United Social States Republic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Maybe I'm too much of a romantic, but I think both sides need each other.

Besides nascpi, you wouldn't want the far right label you would get under the United Social States Republic.
    I kind of enjoyed my time as a far rightist in the People's Republic.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    All kidding aside, if we can make it a 3 way split where libertarians get a land mass of around 2% of the current US (let’s say, I dunno, South Dakota for example), I’m in.
    you got it

"I am your retribution."

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    you got it
    I don’t want to speak for President Amash, but I look forward to many years of free trade with you, good sir

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    I kind of enjoyed my time as a far rightist in the People's Republic.
    I hope you aren’t conflating the criminally underrated Berkeley food scene with your experience as the conservative court jester in Antifa Land.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I hope you aren’t conflating the criminally underrated Berkeley food scene with your experience as the conservative court jester in Antifa Land.
    ok...now we fight...Oakland food scene is fantastic...Pizzaiolo...Yoshi...Mua...all the Ethiopian places...take a walk down Piedmont Avenue sometime...Commonwealth Pub...Cesar...Wood Tavern...Art's Crab Shack (where they make you pay before you eat...how Oakland does that get!)

what does Berkeley have...Smokehouse...that's it...and that's practically in Oakland
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-09-2020 at 02:34 PM.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    ok...now we fight...Oakland food scene is fantastic...Pizzaiolo...Yoshi...Mua...all the Ethiopian places...take a walk down Piedmont Avenue sometime...Commonwealth Pub...Cesar...Wood Tavern

what does Berkeley have...Smokehouse...that's it...and that's practically in Oakland
    Spoken like someone angling for Secretary of Treasury for the People in the newly formed USSR.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    But then again, I think Sacramento has a great food scene so what do I know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Spoken like someone angling for Secretary of Treasury for the People in the newly formed USSR.
    I'm gonna build a castle in Kensington and rule from there.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    But then again, I think Sacramento has a great food scene so what do I know.
    comme ci comme ca

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    I don’t want to speak for President Amash, but I look forward to many years of free trade with you, good sir
    sure...we'll declare the Minnesota border counties a free trade zone

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    This actually touches on a root problem of our current political climate. This problem is also why this idea wont work.

Here's the problem, it's not enough to have things your way for you, everyone else must be forced to live your way as well.

We have the mechanism to let California go far left while Alabama can be as conservative as they want. Simply let the States have more say. But it's not enough for Californians to have the government they want for themselves. Same with Alabamans. They must force others to live under their system too.

It's not a matter of preference on issues for a lot of people. It has become a matter of morals. Dissenting policies aren't simply the product of people with different wants and priorities, they're evil and must be stopped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    This actually touches on a root problem of our current political climate. This problem is also why this idea wont work.

Here's the problem, it's not enough to have things your way for you, everyone else must be forced to live your way as well.

We have the mechanism to let California go far left while Alabama can be as conservative as they want. Simply let the States have more say. But it's not enough for Californians to have the government they want for themselves. Same with Alabamans. They must force others to live under their system too.

It's not a matter of preference on issues for a lot of people. It has become a matter of morals. Dissenting policies aren't simply the product of people with different wants and priorities, they're evil and must be stopped.
    sensibilities is the word

we offend each other's sensibilties

policy is secondary

i got a glimpse of the future of this country at my niece's wedding ten years ago...let's just say my sensibilities were offended...i've often thought of that day as it relates to our present predicament

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

Is that true? I think California and Alabama would be happy to tell each other to mind their own affairs. The issue is more that the federal government won't let them do that and comes in with their own decree instead, so it becomes all or nothing.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club