Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia Senate Runoff

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    I’m predicting a Dem sweep today. It’s hard to compete with “I’ll give you $2000 if you vote for me”.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    I originally thought there was virtually no chance of a Democrat sweep in Georgia after Perdue only narrowly missed winning out right. Runoffs favor Republicans in Georgia and there was a lot of anti-Trump draw in the general election.

However, Trump's antics since the election have really played right into the Democrats hands. He's kept Democrats energized in a way that wouldn't normally be the case with them having just won the presidency. I think it's probably 50% chance of Dem sweep today, 35% chance of a split, and a 15% chance of a Republican sweep.

The GOP needed this to be an election about stopping Biden. Instead Trump has made it a second referendum on him.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I originally thought there was virtually no chance of a Democrat sweep in Georgia after Perdue only narrowly missed winning out right. Runoffs favor Republicans in Georgia and there was a lot of anti-Trump draw in the general election.

However, Trump's antics since the election have really played right into the Democrats hands. He's kept Democrats energized in a way that wouldn't normally be the case with them having just won the presidency. I think it's probably 50% chance of Dem sweep today, 35% chance of a split, and a 15% chance of a Republican sweep.

The GOP needed this to be an election about stopping Biden. Instead Trump has made it a second referendum on him.
    Do we get to spend 6 years calling it illegitimate since Perdue won the popular vote on election day?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Word is that local voting places are virtually empty here in my solidly red exurban county. Sounds like a Dem sweep. Hopefully some Pub voters were able to figure out that they too can vote absentee, but I'm not optimistic.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts

The Republican Party deserves a sharp rebuke like this. It’s a party with no identity right now since they have all but decided to abandon fiscal conservatism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    If fiscal conservatism was a winning platform, (R) wouldn't have had to resort to Trumpian/TeaParty politics.
    and let's not be coy, they are one in the same,
    both with the same 3000 lb. elephant in the corner
    Last edited by 57Brave; 01-05-2021 at 01:56 PM.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    If fiscal conservatism was a winning platform, (R) wouldn't have had to resort to Trumpian/TeaParty politics.
    and let's not be coy, they are one in the same,
    both with the same 3000 lb. elephant in the corner
    Fiscal conservatism is absolutely not a winning platform. People love getting free stuff. They don't like being told that they'll need the government is going to have to give them less to get on a sustainable footing.

Sadly true fiscal conservatism is largely dead. Republicans have simply taken the route of giving tax cuts the country can't afford instead of giving out social programs the country can't afford. True fiscal conservatism has a genuine concern about debt. Concerns over debt only get trotted out now when people dislike a program.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (01-05-2021), Jaw (01-05-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Fiscal conservatism is absolutely not a winning platform. People love getting free stuff. They don't like being told that they'll need the government is going to have to give them less to get on a sustainable footing.

Sadly true fiscal conservatism is largely dead. Republicans have simply taken the route of giving tax cuts the country can't afford instead of giving out social programs the country can't afford. True fiscal conservatism has a genuine concern about debt. Concerns over debt only get trotted out now when people dislike a program.
    The system needs to collapse before we can get back to fiscal policy.

I dont think we are far out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Too funny.

Pubs: We need to curtail spending. Here are some places we can do it.

Dems: THEY'RE LITERALLY TRYING TO KILL YOU, STARVE YOUR CHILDREN, AND THROW GRANNY OFF A CLIFF.

Pubs: We can't campaign on fiscal responsibility anymore.

Dems: I don't respect Pubs anymore, now that they're not fiscally responsible.

Maybe we should just let China annex us. We're too fat, stupid, lazy, spoiled, and entitled to be free.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (01-05-2021), Tapate50 (01-05-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I lived through the period before " fiscal responsibility " was a thing.
    We built for instance the Interstate Highway system.

These days post "fiscal responsibility" we cant fix the bridges
    ////////

"Maybe we should just let China annex us. We're too fat, stupid, lazy, spoiled, and entitled to be free."

Not at all, what is needed is to lose the welfare state for the 1%.

Perhaps (if the election go as others here anticipate) should this pandemic get wrestled into control --- we might see true "fiscal responsibility" where those that horde wealth are expected to pay something back.

Dont forget, you and your fellow travelers just finished 4 years of coddling a person with a Golden Commode

////////////

and no, the system doesn't need to collapse, it just needs a market correction
    Last edited by 57Brave; 01-05-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    I lived through the period before " fiscal responsibility " was a thing.
    We built for instance the Interstate Highway system.

These days post "fiscal responsibility we cant fix the bridges
    What period do you think we have been fiscally responsible?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    " fiscal responsibility " is an illusion some marketing guy dreamed up

Unfortunately , some bought it lock, stock and barrel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    So what period did we practice it?

You said above we haven't recovered from it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    We have never practiced "fiscal responsibility" there is no such thing
    Do you not know the meaning of the word " illusion"
    or seen a magician pull a rabbit out of his/her hat ?
    it's just a shiny thing sold to the rubes
    ////

post " fiscal responsibility" would be the fallacy of Ronald Reagan and trickle down economics which to this day some ( mostly the same people yelling voter fraud) still in the face of reality argue is a raging success
    Last edited by 57Brave; 01-05-2021 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Ahh so it failed and also we never actually did it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (01-05-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    you type faster than you think

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Its more likely that I just think faster than you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts

Fiscal conservatism is a long term strategy that hurts the country in the short term. That is why we only see Republicans be fiscally conservative when a Democrat is the President. The secret in politics is that debt spending is great to help the economy now so Republicans spend like drunken sailors when in office then try to reign in spending when a Democrat is President. Its a strategy to try and convince people Republicans are good for the economy and Democrats are bad. I believe in fiscal conservatism so I am not here to argue that.

There is no Republican party to vote for anymore. They are Trumpocrats and their record on fiscal responsibility is far worse than Democrats. I do disagree that we cant afford the 2k checks but thats because I want the government to go broke. I would rather burn my money than give it to the government. I want them to be so broke that when the government is sued and loses millions of dollars there are real consequences for the person who caused the lawsuit. I want them to be so broke that they cant afford to imprison people for victimless crimes. I want them to be so broke that they need to legalize marijuana for the tax revenue. I want them to be so broke we cant afford to invade and occupy the middle east. I dont particularly care how bad things have to get for us to get to that point. I would be more than willing to go through another Great Depression if it causes the federal government to go broke and actually start doing cost-benefit analysis of what they do.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Too funny.

Pubs: We need to curtail spending. Here are some places we can do it.

Dems: THEY'RE LITERALLY TRYING TO KILL YOU, STARVE YOUR CHILDREN, AND THROW GRANNY OFF A CLIFF.

Pubs: We can't campaign on fiscal responsibility anymore.

Dems: I don't respect Pubs anymore, now that they're not fiscally responsible.

Maybe we should just let China annex us. We're too fat, stupid, lazy, spoiled, and entitled to be free.

Trump campaigned on eliminating the national debt and spent more than anyone else in history by far. The reason people dont respect the claims of fiscal conservatisim is because they do it when a Democrat is President or they have some ulterior motive like with DeJoy and the attempt to slow down the mail in ballots so they could disqualify late arriving ballots. Whens the last time a Republican President spent less than the Democrat before him?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I’m predicting a Dem sweep today. It’s hard to compete with “I’ll give you $2000 if you vote for me”.
    It's my money and I want it now!