Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Ramen with leftover turkey. I like that idea.
    This is my dad's annual tradition. Always the day after. Throw some eggs while it simmers too.
    Forever Fredi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (11-25-2020)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    This is my dad's annual tradition. Always the day after. Throw some eggs while it simmers too.
    I bought the Ivan Ramen book because I think Ivan Orkin is a genius. I'm looking forward to using this winter to work on crafting some pretty legit Ramen. SO far my attempts have all been bastardized American takes I'd like to get something a little closer to traditional, with my twist of course. Like iI want to put in for my aroma oil a chili bacon oil.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I never had Ramen before a few months ago (well if you include the .10 Ramen). But a ramen place opened up in town and I can't get enough of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I never had Ramen before a few months ago (well if you include the .10 Ramen). But a ramen place opened up in town and I can't get enough of it.
    I was kind of similar. I don't enjoy seafood (yes I know Dashi has seafood in it but it doesn't taste fishy) so there are Ramens I avoid. But Shio Ramen can be quite heavenly, Tonkatsu is usually solid. Shoyu I'm a bit on the fence I like the concept but some executions I"ve had are meh. What I really like are Mazemens. Ivan Ramen Slurp shop has a triple garlic one that was truly amazing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    should have gone to momofuku when you were in ny
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    should have gone to momofuku when you were in ny
    Wifey didn't want Ramen. It's hard to get her to try new things sometimes. She basically assumes all Ramen is the $0.10 kind.

But we had some amazing Chinese Food in China Town. No one around here comes even remotely close. Even the trendy style fancy Chinese restaurants.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    This year's attempt. My newest addition was less than stellar appearance wise but tasted amazing. I combined leftover gravy with Franks and beat the piss out of it. It was really clumpy so I added some canola and it binded it better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    And what I'm calling my Jersey deli meets semi-fancy egg place attempt number 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    This year I made turkey tikka masala with the leftovers. The results were good but it was a lot of work. Had to make both a marinade and a masala. Too much work for me. I'm definitely in the KISS school when it comes to cooking.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Gluten Free Waffles via Bisquick this am for the fam.

Always a crowd pleaser
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    This year I made turkey tikka masala with the leftovers. The results were good but it was a lot of work. Had to make both a marinade and a masala. Too much work for me. I'm definitely in the KISS school when it comes to cooking.
    I've made Chicken Tikka Masala a good amount of times. I agree that it's a lot of work. But usually I make it in pretty large batches and eat it for multiple meals afterwards.

I've never tried making a masala with cooked meat though. Sounds interesting, did you still fry it in the marinade?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I've made Chicken Tikka Masala a good amount of times. I agree that it's a lot of work. But usually I make it in pretty large batches and eat it for multiple meals afterwards.

I've never tried making a masala with cooked meat though. Sounds interesting, did you still fry it in the marinade?
    According to the recipe I used, you're supposed to fry it. But I skipped that step.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    @bedellbrave this is what I was talking about.

My second food experiment of the year if my memory is right.

Fried Chicken sandwich on homemade biscuits with what I called Redneck Risotto. Which is Anson Mills Carolina Gold Rice, Beer (think I used Focal Banger) and Cabot 2 year sharp cheddar.

Last year we bought on Black Friday an Ooni Koda. It didn't arrive til May, which is fine because it's too ****ing cold from November until some point in April. Really almost May. We've had varying successes so far. Most pizzas have turned out well. We're not quite great at shaping yet, which is something to work on. I also need a better outdoor working space. I'm not sure what I want to do yet, but I've got a few ideas. But this is certainly the most photogenic pizza we've made. My goal by the end of next year is to be almost pizza chef good. I won't be because of reps. When I make a few pizzas a few times a month it doesn't compare to making dozens a day. I just want to be good enough to get it down every time. Even if I don't have enough to get it perfect.

At this point in my life. I feel like with sous vide and other tricks, I don't **** steak up anymore. I feel bad posting pics now because I've got that down to an almost science.

And sadly I didn't take pictures of either of my smokings this year. I got a Traeger Ironwood smoker and smoked way too much once (Butt, Belly, and Ribs) and then just about the right amount last time (Just a Butt) both were great. I think the belly was one of the best things I did. I didn't even fully make it the way I wanted to. But I have no pictures from that. Whoops. ALso i have been tinkering around with some more gastro culinary techniques. Not a lot. But like my Mac and Cheese I make now is the MOdernist Cuisine Recipe which simply is water or milk, sodium citrate and cheese and it makes the best mac and cheese. It's like a Velveeta mac, but with flavor. Did something similar with QUeso. Made a sousvide queso with milk, sodium citrate, Pepperjack and Habenero cheddar and it is the bomb.

Everything above I have no pictures for. I admit I'm bad at sometimes remembering to document my successes and failures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    In college I was so poor at times I made spaghetti with instant ramen roodles, McDonalds ketchup packs and an onion. It's all in the spices anyway.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    So I got a few new gadgets that I'm loving.

First and simplest I got a much better Sous Vide immersion cooker. Anova Precision Cooker Pro.

I bought an anova precision oven. Which is a steam injection oven that's very temperature accurate. It's awesome, I want to play with it more in baking.

I also bought an Instant Pot Duo Crisp which is something like a pressure cooker/air fryer combo. Been tinkering with it. So some things I've done

First is a sous vide carnitas with sous vide queso. I made the tortillas too but I didn't like them that much. Need to work on my forming to get thinner tortillas.

Sous Vide carnitas are seriously the best. It's a 24 hour cooking process where you take your pork butt, through in onions, orange, spices, etc. into the bag and let it rip at 165 for 18-24 hours. What I did to make it easier to work with is threw it in the freezer until I was ready to finish it. To finish it you simply get it out of the bag, save the juice for something ( could add it to a salsa for example, I forget what I did with it. I think I used it to flavor something but man I can't remember)

Sous Vide Queso or Cheese dip is super easy. That I basically have a rock solid strategy. Take your weight in cheese and chop/shred it. Say 400 grams. Add 50% weight in liquid (have used water, milk, and beer so far) which would be 200 grams. Total that weight and add 2% of that total in Sodium Citrate I typically round that up. so this totalled 12 grams of sodium citrate even. Mix all that together But most times I do it I seem to wind up at like 8.7 or 4.6. Anyway. Sousvide that for at least an hour. Sometimes longer. What I've been doing lately that I love is using my oven as I can throw a bowl into it. After all the cheese melts, you simply blend it. Easiest way is with an immersion blender but you can use a regular blender too. This will give you the best Cheese Whiz you've ever had. So for my queso it was a stick of Cabot pepper jack and a stick of cabot habanero cheddar. So those totalled up to about 450 grams and I added about 225 grams of milk and 14 grams of sodium citrate and it's unreal how good it is. Nice and spicy, super cheesy, super smooth. Reheats well.

Second I'm less proud of but part of experimenting is failures happen.

So the successes. in the steam oven my girlfriend made those biscuits which had like a pillsbury grands level flakiness to it. I made those taters in the instant pot which I loved. It took about 20 minutes total to cook. As opposed to 20 minutes to boil or spending a lot of time trying to finely dice potatoes. Then simply put it through a food mill to make the smoothest potatoes in the world. Seasoning is simple, butter, salt, pepper, and garlic. Chicken was super tender and tasted great. I'll tell you how I got it. I took a bowl, added chicken and then made a marinade of some spices, buttermilk and hot sauce. It made for a lovely tender chicken tender. What I did to prepare it was cook it in the marinade in my precision oven on the sous vide setting to 155. Then after cooking it that way for an hour. I did a simple flour and spice breading. As you can see the breading isn't super crisp. It tasted great it was just a B not an A. I want to try this method again but this time I think I'll make a separate butter milk dredge. So go from the marinade to the flour, to the butter milk dredge and back to the flour. See if that gets the crispy cut I want.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

thewupk (01-13-2022)