Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Charlie Morton

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    If the money is still there for Ozuna and the NL keeps the DH, we can fill every need with an impact guy without having to give up any draft picks. Would be pretty impressive.

And It looks like we will still have a ton of flexibility next offseason, too.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-24-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Not out of the blue, but still a little surprising to me given the Smyly deal. As thethe conjectured above, I wonder what this means for Wright, Wilson, Touki and the other candidates for the back of the rotation. They may end up trading for a bat as opposed to signing one. Nice to see Morton come full circle. I followed him closely on his way up the Braves' minor league chain in the early aughts and was a little disappointed they moved him in the McLouth deal. He's another example of how it can take some time for some pitchers to put it all together. Morton has always had great stuff and once he got it harnessed (and stayed healthy), he's been a very good pitcher.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-24-2020)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    We don't know exactly how Liberty is running the Braves. Remember last year when they moved half of Flowers' and Neck's money to the previous year because of some accounting plan? They may have some sort of plan that is several years out.

As I recall the Battery is not the big issue I see here on the board. I may be wrong. I'm not going to go searching, but I thought I remembered when Liberty last had an earning's report the Battery was only about a million down in revenue from last year. It was 7 million vs 8 million, or something similar. Down but not crazy. I know the other issue is the debt. But they have done work to restructure and they have banked money from previous years.

The Braves having hype around them and winning on the field is required to maximize the Battery investment.

My problem is that you still probably need to spend 30-40 million to be a top team. DH, LF, Bench, Pen. They need another 20+ million dollar bat. To be a WS team they need a fourth and a fifth hitter in my opinion.

Because we are likely looking at a 7-8-9 of Swanson, Riley and Pache. I don't expect Riley or Pache to have a 100 wrc+.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-24-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I'm wondering if AA goes cheap on the pen. We already have some good pieces down there with Smith, Minter, Matzek, Martin, Tomlin, Webb, Ynoa

We could fill the remaining spots with Newk, Sobotka, Touki, etc....I'd imagine that Wright/Wilson will be starters at AAA for emergency use. Newk and Touki have had success in the pen and maybe that becomes their nitch.

Then use Contreras as the second catcher and Jackson as possibly the third catcher.

Take then rest of the money to go after a bat and bench pieces...Would love to go after Cesar Hernandez
    Get off my lawn!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

Carp (11-24-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I really like it.

I have to HOPE that are actually going to have a payroll similar to last year. IMO we still need two bats to be a legit WS team.

WE know know the Mets are going to be much better next year when they spend. They may regret it in 2025 plus, but they'll be better next year.

Fried
    Morton
    Smyly
    Anderson
    Soroka

Do Wilson and Wright have options still?

Do we know if we have expanded rosters next year? They won't do a real 6 man rotation, but maybe they plan to spot start Wright a lot since we have Soroka coming back from an injury, Anderson in his first full year, Fried who seems to need some breaks and two older vets.

Still wondering if AA can turn Touki, Wilson, and/or Davidson into anything. I know some will say they don't have value. But if we do have teams that are desperate to cut money and starting pitching is this expensive, cheap starters with some pedigree (Touki and Wilson) might be valuable. Stealth tank.
    Now that a huge draw-down of payroll doesn't appear to be an issue, I'd REALLY like to see AA make a play for Rosario rather than waiting to see if the Twins actually do non-tender him. If they do, there's still a chance it winds up costing more than what he's projected to make in arbitration if he makes it to the open market - unlike Pederson he doesn't need a platoon partner, and he's a perfect bridge to Waters on a one year deal.

Payroll now sits at just shy of $123 million following the Morton signing. Trading one of the surplus arms (not named Wright, Wilson, or Muller) for Rosario and non-tendering Duvall would bump that number to ~ $128 million. $12 million left doesn't get you Ozuna, but it might very well get you Carlos Santana if there's a DH while leaving enough room to bring one of Melancon or Greene back.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-24-2020 at 10:18 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I'm wondering if AA goes cheap on the pen. We already have some good pieces down there with Smith, Minter, Matzek, Martin, Tomlin, Webb, Ynoa

We could fill the remaining spots with Newk, Sobotka, Touki, etc....I'd imagine that Wright/Wilson will be starters at AAA for emergency use. Newk and Touki have had success in the pen and maybe that becomes their nitch.

Then use Contreras as the second catcher and Jackson as possibly the third catcher.

Take then rest of the money to go after a bat and bench pieces...Would love to go after Cesar Hernandez
    yup. the pen doesn't need that much work. sign some cheap guys like Melancon.
    this is wild. can't believe they signed Morton as well.

always need a ton of starters tho, so i'm not sure this means a ton for someone like Wright. what're the chances Smyly AND Morton pitch a whole season?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Rotation is looking good.

Halladay Lite
    Kershaw Lite
    Maddux Lite
    Wilson
    Cal
    No Miller Lite?

Last edited by 50PoundHead; 11-24-2020 at 10:18 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-24-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    No Miller Lite?

I drink those - have to know there aren't enough of them left to go around.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    This feels just like last offseason, but the rotation instead of the pen. Love the Morton signing... still not sure why we picked up Smyly, but whatever.

Now we need a freaking LF or 3B.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,800 Posts
    I like it. Welcome back Charlie!
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Now we need a freaking LF or 3B.
    well it's beginning to feel like the money is definitely there for it.
    or a trade/
    either way, no way AA signed Smyly and Morton without having a plan for one of those positions. i 100% believe that now.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-24-2020)

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    or a trade/
    either way, no way AA signed Smyly and Morton without having a plan for one of those positions. i 100% believe that now.
    I guess we'll see.

Who do they go for? Maybe Joc? Would Justin Turner sign a one year deal?
    Last edited by CrazyTrain; 11-24-2020 at 10:36 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I wonder if the next move is to sign Freeman longterm....make a little less this season for extra room and pay him on the back end.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts
    Yes sir!

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Ugh. Yeah let’s tie up huge sums of money on his declining years to help this season. I’d rather front load a Freddie extension, if we have to resign him at all.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Skeeter31 For This Useful Post:

Carp (11-24-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    I guess we'll see.

Who do they go for? Maybe Joc? Would Justin Turner sign a one year deal?
    it's possible Turner would i think. but that would probably be later in the offseason if he does.
    Pederson fits quite nicely and wouldn't cost much at all (relatively speaking).

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-24-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    No Miller Lite?

you can find that in the pen: Matzek is Miller (Andrew) Lite
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Well this was a surprise to me.

Signing Ozzie and Acuna to those deals has set this all up. I hope we lock up soroka and Dansby next just to know you have good player locked up on reasonable contracts allowing you to keep rolling the one year deals for vets. The new money ball is being developed.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    or a trade/
    This all day. He wouldn’t spend that much on pitching if he didn’t have enough for a bat. The DH is why’s holding up signing Ozuna I think. We’ll see

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    I think AA never wants to see the likes of Erlin and Milone types have to pitch for his club again. We will keep most of our pitching depth as insurance and development. Love this signing. Hopefully this doesn’t mean we trade Wright. I still feel like he has stuff to be good.
    Coppy

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-24-2020), jpx7 (11-24-2020)