Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Braves sign Charlie Morton

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    In what twisted world is Erlin and Milone better than Hamels. I think Hamels could had thrown underhanded and bee better than those guys.
    Coppy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (11-26-2020), jpx7 (11-25-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    In what twisted world is Erlin and Milone better than Hamels. I think Hamels could had thrown underhanded and bee better than those guys.
    That might be all the poor guy can throw now. :( Still better than half our 2020 rotation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I actually have no issue with giving Riley 400 PAs before the deadline next year. He made real improvements last season in the exact areas he needed to improve. His defense is fine, and maybe even good. There are worse things in the world than having a 1-2 win player with upside earning the minimum as your worst position player.

So unless there is no DH and the Ozuna replacement has to come at 3b, I think I’d prefer Riley plus some LHH help at 3b at least until the trade deadline.
    I think I’m board with this take also. If Riley doesn’t improve to where we hope by the trade deadline or a bit earlier, we can upgrade the position then.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I think I’m board with this take also. If Riley doesn’t improve to where we hope by the trade deadline or a bit earlier, we can upgrade the position then.
    yeah, that’s fair.
    my issue is...i’m far from sold he’ll even be a 1-WAR player, much less a 2-WAR guy.
    letting him play is the move if he can be solid like that tho.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I think we should at least sign someone like Miller, La Stella, or Cabrera to be a super sub and replace Camargo. But maye they are expecting Shewmake to step into that role during the season.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-26-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I think we should at least sign someone like Miller, La Stella, or Cabrera to be a super sub and replace Camargo. But maye they are expecting Shewmake to step into that role during the season.
    I would LOVE to have Stella! back, but I'm fairly certain he will end up with the A's.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-27-2020)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Read somewhere just this morning that LaStella is unlikely to sign for a part time role.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-27-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Read somewhere just this morning that LaStella is unlikely to sign for a part time role.
    La Stella's going to want his payday and that means going somewhere where he will be a full-time guy. I'm guessing two- or three-year deal at around $5 MM per.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-27-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Does this mean we can forget Nate Mclouth ever existed?
    Natural Immunity Croc

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (12-08-2020), jpx7 (12-02-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    This has to be the oddest take on Hamels and Morton I’ve ever seen. No idea how Hamels not pitching is better than throwing out the worst SPs in the history of playoff teams.

I’d love to hear specifics about what’s not to like about Morton because he was my top preference for the rotation. If it’s just injury concerns then that comes with the package of signing older SPs to short deals...young healthy SPs don’t sign for 1 year.

Hamels looked to barely have anything left in the tank in 2019 imo and I was worried Snit would make start him game 1 of the playoffs just based on his reputation as a playoff ace. If he was healthy he definitly starts over Anderson no matter how good Ian was or how bad Hamels was. I think we might not even make the NLCS if Hamels was in the playoff rotation.

As for Morton its a couple things. His age. I dont feel he is a good bet to be healthy come playoff time. Also there was something weird going on with the Astros when he broke out with them. Astros and Rays seem to have some kind of secret sauce when it comes to pitchers and I have no confidence in our pitching coaches. Its hard to have a bad one year deal imo because its only 1 year but I am a lot more optimistic about Morton than I was Hamels. I think he will be a 4.25-4.50 ERA starter for us.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    This has to be the oddest take on Hamels and Morton I’ve ever seen. No idea how Hamels not pitching is better than throwing out the worst SPs in the history of playoff teams.

I’d love to hear specifics about what’s not to like about Morton because he was my top preference for the rotation. If it’s just injury concerns then that comes with the package of signing older SPs to short deals...young healthy SPs don’t sign for 1 year.
    Morton for one year/$15 million or Minor for 3 years/$30 million? I'll take Morton TYVM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Hamels looked to barely have anything left in the tank in 2019 imo and I was worried Snit would make start him game 1 of the playoffs just based on his reputation as a playoff ace. If he was healthy he definitly starts over Anderson no matter how good Ian was or how bad Hamels was. I think we might not even make the NLCS if Hamels was in the playoff rotation.

As for Morton its a couple things. His age. I dont feel he is a good bet to be healthy come playoff time. Also there was something weird going on with the Astros when he broke out with them. Astros and Rays seem to have some kind of secret sauce when it comes to pitchers and I have no confidence in our pitching coaches. Its hard to have a bad one year deal imo because its only 1 year but I am a lot more optimistic about Morton than I was Hamels. I think he will be a 4.25-4.50 ERA starter for us.
    Hamels looked perfectly fine in 2019. If he was healthy, we likely would have won at least 2-3 more games over the course of the season. We didn't lose a game before game 3 of the NLCS, so I feel pretty confident we'd have still been ok with Hamels starting game 2 of every playoff series. It's completely plausible that we even beat the Dodgers if we had another competent starter to run out there instead of Wright or doing a BP game.

What exactly about our pitching coaches makes you lack faith in them?
    Last edited by Carp; 12-02-2020 at 08:24 AM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-02-2020), JohnAdcox (12-02-2020), jpx7 (12-02-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Hamels' presence would have kept guys like Erlin and Milone off the Braves' roster. Can't prove the negative, so it's conjecture on what Hamels would have meant in terms of W/L, but given the lame performances we saw from those who started games in his absence I think it's safe to say the Braves would have been a better team if he would have been able to compete.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-02-2020), jpx7 (12-02-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    What is this about Hamels not being good in 2019?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    What is this about Hamels not being good in 2019?
    Nonsense. Especially the part about the Braves not making it to the NLCS with him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Nonsense. Especially the part about the Braves not making it to the NLCS with him.
    There is a lot of butterfly effect logic swirling around this thread all of a sudden