1,420 Posts

117th Congress

Ben Rhodes
    @brhodes
    ·
    6h
    The fact that Mitch McConnell - a man with an unrelenting commitment

to undermine America's first Black president - could lose his veto power

over American democracy bc of Raphael Warnock, John Ossoff and Stacey Abrams

is some kind of American justice.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I can't wait to see your twitter feed demonize life long Democrat Joe Manchin.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    did he cash in on the pandemic too ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Lol.

Yes. He's a democrat politician. The entire party cashed in on the pandemic. Haven't you seen the election results?
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    People like Manchin, Tester, Romney, Murkowski and Collins will determine what passes and what does not. I'm good with that.

And there are a couple more liberal Democrats, Coons and Durbin, who have shown an ability to develop good relationships with people across the aisle.

I think it would be smart to channel as much legislation as possible along those lines. I know my liberal Democratic friends will not like hearing this. But the margins in both the House and Senate imply there is no other way.

The one thing I could see passing along partisan lines is raising taxes on corporations and people making over 400K. That can be folded into the reconciliation process and as such will not need bipartisan support.

Probably the most contentious issue in the near-term will be a bailout of state and local governments to make up for lost revenues. Could become a partisan football. Or a bipartisan spirit might prevail since a lot of red states are hurting. From an economic perspective I think it makes a lot more sense than sending $2,000 checks to people whose finances have hardly been affected by the pandemic. Concentrate the aid on areas and people that have been hurt.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-06-2021 at 11:12 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Let's be perfectly clear, Joe Manchin and John Testor are not Rand Paul and Ted Cruz.

Joe Machin and John Testor I would guess will support for instance a 2021 Voting Rights Act,

and will certainly support the great majority of Biden cabinet picks.

People are forgetting the (D) party has many many faces

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Let's be perfectly clear, Joe Manchin and John Testor are not Rand Paul and Ted Cruz.

Joe Machin and John Testor I would guess will support for instance a 2021 Voting Rights Act,

and will certainly support the great majority of Biden cabinet picks.

People are forgetting the (D) party has many many faces
    There is a lot of low-hanging fruit that should be plucked. If credibly accused creepy joe does that he will be a great success. If he tries to take the country in a direction for which there is no consensus he'll have problems. In some ways his job is pretty simple. There is a big item in his in box he needs to focus on. And he needs to use his people skills to lower the temperature in Washington and around the country. It's not that complicated.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    my question is at 79 years old will Mitch McConnel serve in the minority or retire ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    There is a lot of low-hanging fruit that should be plucked. If credibly accused creepy joe does that he will be a great success. If he tries to take the country in a direction for which there is no consensus he'll have problems. In some ways his job is pretty simple. There is a big item in his in box he needs to focus on. And he needs to use his people skills to lower the temperature in Washington and around the country. It's not that complicated.
    first and foremost is get the vaccine out. If his administration can do that --- he gets a honeymoon. If not, well, it will be tough sledding

2 appointments I cant wait to see are AG and who is the face of the vaccine roll out
    and wont be surprised he picks a competent (R). Remember how many (R) Obama sat at the table. Wm Cohen and Chuck Hagel come to mind

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    This is what has people concerned...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    for me actions on the SALT deductions will be good indicia of whether a centrist coalition committed to good policy can hold out against Schumer/Pelosi

there is no good reason for a senator from West Virginia or Montana to go along with restoration of those deductions

interestingly, AOC has come out strongly against restoring them due to their regressive effects

otoh I'm strongly with Schumer and Pelosi on the need for the federal government to help state and local governments make up for lost revenues...for me this is one of the big plusses from the Georgia election results...i suspect some red state senators will sign on after talking to their governors
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-06-2021 at 10:40 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    first and foremost is get the vaccine out. If his administration can do that --- he gets a honeymoon. If not, well, it will be tough sledding

2 appointments I cant wait to see are AG and who is the face of the vaccine roll out
    and wont be surprised he picks a competent (R). Remember how many (R) Obama sat at the table. Wm Cohen and Chuck Hagel come to mind
    Esper and his team planned out the entire federal role in the distribution months ago. It won't be changed because no one does logistics better than the US Army. Screwups will occur due to political reasons at the state and local levels.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Esper and his team planned out the entire federal role in the distribution months ago. It won't be changed because no one does logistics better than the US Army. Screwups will occur due to political reasons at the state and local levels.
    It's like a relay. The point where the baton gets passed is where the screwups happen. Which is why practice and planning for that baton pass are very important.

"I am your retribution."

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Just like twitter demonized lifelong republicans Romney, McCain, etc.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Just like twitter demonized lifelong republicans Romney, McCain, etc.
    Yep. I heard Democrats ask me for years why Pubs wouldn't nominate someone like those two, that would be a Republican they could vote for. And you're right, both were immediately branded as boogeymen, racists, far right, wanting to take us back to the 50s, put black people back in chains, etc. It was sad to see.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Dude...dude! Manchin is basically Justice without the balls to switch parties. I live in his ****ing state. He is elected by republicans FOR republicans.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-13-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Dude...dude! Manchin is basically Justice without the balls to switch parties. I live in his ****ing state. He is elected by republicans FOR republicans.
    Is he? My sense has always been that he's willing to do unprincipled things if he thinks it will work out better for his state. He's reminded me of the somewhat conservative Democrats of the South pre flip. Zell Miller as an example. He doesn't seem socially or economically conservative to me. Of course I like the latter part of that.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Last edited by 57Brave; 01-13-2021 at 10:36 AM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Joke’s on you, I’ve been demonizing Joe Manchin for years.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-13-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    let me understand this right. The people of Alabama had a Senator that prosecuted the Birmingham Bombing and traded him for someone that should embarrass every Alabamian every time he opens his mouth

Alabama senator Tommy Tuberville questions the timing of Joe Biden's inauguration, which the Constitution requires be held on January 20, saying in a press conference: 'We probably could have had a swearing-in and inauguration later after we got this virus behind us a little bit' "
    //////

Beginning to wonder if McConnell shouldn't be running tutoring sessions like Tuberville's teams were required to attend