Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeachment II

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    McConnell is hoping the moods ease after a few weeks so then they can play the "this is a partisan witch hunt" crowd.
    I think Mitch is all-in on conviction and is positioning himself to bring as many Republican senators with him as he can.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-23-2021 at 09:28 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think Mitch is all-in on conviction and is positioning himself to bring as many Republican senators with him as he can.
    I agree with this. Mitch is a party guy and he always has an eye to the future. He sees Trump as detrimental to the future of the party ESPECIALLY after he nuked the Georgia senate races. He wants Trump gone for good.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I agree with this. Mitch is a party guy and he always has an eye to the future. He sees Trump as detrimental to the future of the party ESPECIALLY after he nuked the Georgia senate races. He wants Trump gone for good.

There’s a legit argument that the Republican Party without Trump is nothing. Trump breathed fresh air into the party, where so many are sick and tired of the status quo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    McConnell is hoping the moods ease after a few weeks so then they can play the "this is a partisan witch hunt" card.

Trump despite the antics still had like an 85% approval amongst GOP voters.
    I dunno. He's already played the "let's throw Trump under a bus" card. It looks like he thinks they have to purge Trump from the party one way or another. Impeachment and a guilty verdict may be the best opportunity to do it with the least amount of damage to the GOP.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    There’s a legit argument that the Republican Party without Trump is nothing. Trump breathed fresh air into the party, where so many are sick and tired of the status quo.
    Not so sure.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    It's funny how that "fresh air" now smells like rotten eggs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (01-23-2021)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This reminds me of a discussion I had with a chick who thought the 911 attacks were an inside job.

Her biggest bit of “evidence” was that since jet fuel burns at a temperature lower than the melting point of structural steel, there’s no way those fires caused the buildings to collapse. Therefor, explosives or something else must have been planted beforehand.

I informed her that blacksmithing has relied on the fact that steel weakens at temperatures below the melting point of steel for thousands of years, so steel doesn’t have to melt for a structure to fail.

That’s when the anger set in on her part. There was no way she was going to admit she was dumb enough to be fooled, so it turned into some odd ranting about things I can’t remember.
    Yup. There's also the fact that it is extremely windy that high up, sucking oxygen directly into the building and there was also plenty of flammable things inside the building, all of which helped to fuel the fire from the jet fuel. It's very likely the temperatures were much hotter than what jet fuel burns at.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Cool, let’s vote in some more Dems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    I sure hope Biden doesnt breath life into the Democrats like Donald did for Republicans. First President to lose re-election, the House, and the Senate since....1932. If anything he breathed life into the Democrats. By popular vote Trumps deficit doubled despite picking up 11 million new voters. There is virtually no chance for Republicans to win the popular vote going forward. Trump understands the power of setting the narrative and Democrats dont. Thats the only reason any of this exists.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Trump energized some voters that had been sitting out and attracted some that had been voting Democrat. He also alienated a ton of moderates. Without Trump some would likely fall back into not voting but the moderate vote would be in play again. I think there's a very good chance Biden (or Harris) lose a bunch of moderates in four years. They seem to be positioning themselves for a very liberal presidency. It might go farther left than a lot of people in the middle are ready for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Trump energized some voters that had been sitting out and attracted some that had been voting Democrat. He also alienated a ton of moderates. Without Trump some would likely fall back into not voting but the moderate vote would be in play again. I think there's a very good chance Biden (or Harris) lose a bunch of moderates in four years. They seem to be positioning themselves for a very liberal presidency. It might go farther left than a lot of people in the middle are ready for.
    The scenario you sketched out is certainly a possibility. It is the standard outcome for the party in power to push things too far in a direction that those in the middle are uncomfortable with.

I do think we are in a fairly unusual situation, which might make for a non-standard outcome (in particular with respect to the mid-terms). We saw a somewhat non-standard outcome in the 2002 mid-term (which I think was due to a rally around the president effect after 9-11). My guess is that January 6 will have a somewhat longer tail than 9-11 in terms of effects on how people vote in this country.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-25-2021 at 09:23 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Dominion suing Rudy and gonna make the case that he knew he was lying about the election being stolen by Dominion because he never accused them of it under oath even though he so did constantly in front of crowds. Circumstantial evidence for the Impeachment trial that Trump knew it too. All of Congress knows this, and that includes the ones who have sold their souls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Dominion suing Rudy and gonna make the case that he knew he was lying about the election being stolen by Dominion because he never accused them of it under oath even though he so did constantly in front of crowds. Circumstantial evidence for the Impeachment trial that Trump knew it too. All of Congress knows this, and that includes the ones who have sold their souls.
    I'm guessing they will also sue very poorly chosen one since he said many of the same things.

The Big Lie has a big tail.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The scenario you sketched out is certainly a possibility. It is the standard outcome for the party in power to push things too far in a direction that those in the middle are uncomfortable with.

I do think we are in a fairly unusual situation, which might make for a non-standard outcome (in particular with respect to the mid-terms). We saw a somewhat non-standard outcome in the 2002 mid-term (which I think was due to a rally around the president effect after 9-11). My guess is that January 6 will have a somewhat longer tail than 9-11 in terms of effects of how people vote in this country.
    For the mid-terms and how January 6 affects them will depend on what happens in the interim. What direction does the Republican party take? Does Biden unite them as a common enemy? Does Qanon fade from prominence? What does Trump do? What other major events occur? How does redistricting from the census pan out?

It's hard to say right now. If Biden does the standard pull to the left then it's hard to imagine a lot of positive outcomes in the mid-terms, especially with redistricting occurring and so many state houses controlled by Republicans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Reminder that the following Republicans, who just voted to dismiss Trump's trial for incitement of insurrection at the Capitol, voted to impeach or convict Bill Clinton for lying about a blowjob:

Blunt
    Burr
    Crapo
    Graham
    Grassley
    Inhofe
    McConnell
    Moran
    Portman
    Shelby
    Thune
    Wicker
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Claire McCaskill
    @clairecmc
    ·
    3h
    They refused to hear witnesses. “Let the people decide in the election”.

They did. Trump tried to overturn their decision and caused death

and destruction. Now all but 5 say never mind.

Unbelievable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Occupy Democrats Retweeted
    Brian Tyler Cohen
    @briantylercohen
    ·
    6h
    45 Republican Senators just voted to drop the case

against a guy who sent a mob to kill them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Still waiting on Rudy's incontrovertible evidence that the election was stolen. I hope he didn't put it on Hunter Biden's laptop that disappeared.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    The Republican Party is the perfect example of cowardice
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"