Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Political Calculus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Michigan lawmakers keep bulletproof vests under their Capital floor desks

They should all have guns and stand their ground. They shouldnt be forced to run.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Arm the teachers. !!!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I think you give many of these people too much credit to think that intellectually. I think most of it is just good old fashioned racism that has been seeded into society for centuries.
    I don't think this is fair to most of these Trumpkins.

The concept of "racism" exists on a spectrum. When someone says the phrase "basketball player", the image that pops into my head is a tall lean black man. The phrase "medical researcher" makes me picture a white man in glasses. The phrase "English teacher" makes me think of a middle aged white woman in a sweater. That, by definition, makes me racist. It also makes me misogynistic. I have the self awareness to realize those facts, but I don't consider myself very high on the racist scale, and certainly well below the threshold of being maliciously racist.

When people say "racist", what folks tend to hear, especially when the term is used against them, is "maliciously racist". So while I agree being scared of losing societal power to "them" is, in fact, rooted in racism, I don't think it's fair to call these people "old fashioned racists". To me, that means malicious racism we see in movies that almost everyone agrees is terrible.

I don't think the average member of the Trump base is maliciously racist. They just lack the intellectual capacity to be self aware. We see that with posters around here like Jaw who says things like "can't find their peepee" as an insult referring to trans people, and lacks the mental capacity to be self aware enough that he can realize his views are being influenced by his biases.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-13-2021 at 07:46 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

57Brave (01-14-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    McConnell about to school Trump on political power for the last time

Donald Trump had a pretty good run in Washington — ...... But that’s all about to end. And I predict it will end with Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) — as the new minority leader — incinerating Trump’s political future for good.

McConnell needs just 18 votes to finish off Trump.

Would Mitch really assure the votes to convict on impeachment, and lifetime ban of holding public office? Hard to believe it can turn around so quickly.
    Last edited by Runnin; 01-15-2021 at 11:51 AM.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR