Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 BA Top 100

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I don't pretend to know the exact reason Pache was chosen, but our options were basically him or Ender. So it isn't like he had much competition. Pache is the superior defender and was a better fit as far as replacing a RH hitter with a RH hitter.
    dingdingding...someone gets it.

I didn't realize he had so much service time already though. Keeping him down for 34(?) days is still reasonable, especially if AAA has a delayed start.

Those 34 days is right around the amount of time it will take to see if Ender can rebound. However, if Ender shows nothing in ST Pache may be on the team opening day anyways.

I'm eagerly awaiting the BSoML story about Ender. He found a magic chiropractor and essential oils combination after hot yoga workouts that cured the lower back pain plaguing him all 2020...blah blah blah. It should be hitting the internet within the next couple weeks.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (02-08-2021), jpx7 (02-08-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    If Dexter Fowler is only worth 1.5m on the market, then Ender is absolutely worthless.
    Ender has been a good bit better over the last 3 years than Fowler. they're probably roughly equal in terms of value, and i think Ender has better potential of putting up a decent season. much younger and more valuable defensively (yes, i know you want to take 2020 as THE sign that Ender is no longer good defensively, but the reality is we do not know that to be true yet).
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-08-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I didn't realize he had so much service time already though. Keeping him down for 34(?) days is still reasonable, especially if AAA has a delayed start.

Those 34 days is right around the amount of time it will take to see if Ender can rebound. However, if Ender shows nothing in ST Pache may be on the team opening day anyways.

I'm eagerly awaiting the BSoML story about Ender. He found a magic chiropractor and essential oils combination after hot yoga workouts that cured the lower back pain plaguing him all 2020...blah blah blah. It should be hitting the internet within the next couple weeks.
    seems like Ender's sprint speed, even in ST, will tell us a lot about where he is.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

It was GOAT yoga bro.
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Burns article mentions Langeliers may spend the season in Gwinnett...

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...he-fast-track/

Wonder if this means they want him to spend a full season paired with Contreras so they can figure out how best to split up playing time between the two of them in 2022.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-11-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Burns article mentions Langeliers may spend the season in Gwinnett...

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...he-fast-track/

Wonder if this means they want him to spend a full season paired with Contreras so they can figure out how best to split up playing time between the two of them in 2022.
    Maybe I'm going crazy, but am I missing the mention in that story about him possibly being in Gwinnett?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    ESPN posted their top 100 from Kiley.

I really enjoyed it. KD took the time to give you some reasons for his rankings. You don't have to agree, but I like the approach. Waters write up is interesting. I feel like I'm more with him on Pache (lower) and Waters (higher) than I am with Klaw.

I am suprised that the industry consensus seems to be langeliers over Contreras. I must have really overrated or misremembered his at bats at catching last year in a small sample. I loved what I saw from Contreras.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    How is Langs going to split time with Contreras and AAA. Someone has to be our back up catcher What am I missing there
    Coppy

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Maybe I'm going crazy, but am I missing the mention in that story about him possibly being in Gwinnett?
    You didn't miss it - it was the link you click on to get to the story, my bad...

Shea Langeliers Remains On The Fast Track

The 23-year old catcher could make the jump to Triple-A this season.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-11-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I am suprised that the industry consensus seems to be langeliers over Contreras. I must have really overrated or misremembered his at bats at catching last year in a small sample. I loved what I saw from Contreras.
    very small sample size, and i think Langeliers is very highly regarded defensively whereas Contreras is not. Contreras' 2019 was also unimpressive with the bat, and that's his calling card.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    How is Langs going to split time with Contreras and AAA. Someone has to be our back up catcher What am I missing there
    Contreras likely still needs somewhat regular ABs, and most signs point to d'Arnaud catching 120 games in 2021, so he's not going to get them in Atlanta. If they plan to go back to a more even time-share after d'Arnaud leaves, it would make sense for Contreras and Langeliers to rotate nights in Gwinnett this season to get a feel for how they might handle that kind of situation when it "counts" in 2022.

If they don't feel like A-Jax can handle catching the 40 games d'Arnaud doesn't catch this year bringing Flowers back for $1-$2 million makes plenty of sense.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-11-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Contreras likely still needs somewhat regular ABs, and most signs point to d'Arnaud catching 120 games in 2021, so he's not going to get them in Atlanta. If they plan to go back to a more even time-share after d'Arnaud leaves, it would make sense for Contreras and Langeliers to rotate nights in Gwinnett this season to get a feel for how they might handle that kind of situation when it "counts" in 2022.

If they don't feel like A-Jax can handle catching the 40 games d'Arnaud doesn't catch this year bringing Flowers back for $1-$2 million makes plenty of sense.
    Agree. I think the back up is Ajax for 500k or Flowers for 1 million. You can move on from them after the trade deadline.

Contreras and Langeliers need to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Kiley ranked us as the #13 farm system and said we’ll probably be bottom 5 next year if anderson, Pache and Waters graduate.

This probably isn’t a surprise, but he did say in his write up that he’s hearing we will be very aggressive on the international market in the next two classes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Kiley ranked us as the #13 farm system and said we’ll probably be bottom 5 next year if anderson, Pache and Waters graduate.

This probably isn’t a surprise, but he did say in his write up that he’s hearing we will be very aggressive on the international market in the next two classes.
    Makes sense. At least we have seen real value from our Farm. Some teams get ranked high but never seem to see it at the MLB level.

I just hope next year we go hard after high upside young guys. I'm tired of the college pitchers. We don't seem to do well with college pitcher development anyway.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Makes sense. At least we have seen real value from our Farm. Some teams get ranked high but never seem to see it at the MLB level.

I just hope next year we go hard after high upside young guys. I'm tired of the college pitchers. We don't seem to do well with college pitcher development anyway.

But college in general are higher floor lower ceiling guys. If they were better then they would never go to college. Typically those guys are gone by the later 20’s picks. So we could get a guy hard to sign with more upside but blow or second pick. Or get these high floor guys.

I think the international penalties have swayed some decisions. I think the college pitchers are better trade fodder while the high school hitters you can get latter and the international guys are the one you hope to hit on. Braves haven’t been able to do that yet. But we have been blessed by hitting on so many prospects.
    Coppy

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    But college in general are higher floor lower ceiling guys. If they were better then they would never go to college. Typically those guys are gone by the later 20’s picks. So we could get a guy hard to sign with more upside but blow or second pick. Or get these high floor guys.

I think the international penalties have swayed some decisions. I think the college pitchers are better trade fodder while the high school hitters you can get latter and the international guys are the one you hope to hit on. Braves haven’t been able to do that yet. But we have been blessed by hitting on so many prospects.
    I think that's clearly the case with the post-10th round over-slot picks in 2019.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-15-2021), jpx7 (02-12-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts

Oh really. Maybe he reads my braves blog :)
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts

Yeah, generally teams that pick college players because "we need help now" get stuck in that cycle because their college players suck so they need more college players who will zoom through the minors to make up for it. I call it the Royals disease.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    If Dexter Fowler is only worth 1.5m on the market, then Ender is absolutely worthless.
    Well, yeah, not surprising that Ender has been worthless the last two years (0.0 WAR) but what I find at least somewhat intriguing is that he was worth a stout 18.3 WAR the five years before that. That's 3.6 per.

It's easy to dismiss him, and we probably should, but it's unusual that a guy loses demonstrated ability to hit, catch and run at age 28, isn't it?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-14-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think that's clearly the case with the post-10th round over-slot picks in 2019.
    On the plus side, that was a really fun draft. I expect it to hold interest for several more years as well.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-15-2021)