Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, so...

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts

OK, so...

How many of you guys have actually had the Rona? How bad was it? How many days did you have it, etc.? Anything that you know from personal experience, either your own or a close loved one.

I tested positive this morning. My wife tested positive last Wednesday. We're guesstimating that this is probably around day 7 or 8 for her and probably around 4 or for me.

So, thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    That sucks. I had it back around Thanksgiving. I picked it up on a Saturday at a family gathering. I started getting the first symptoms (nasal congestion for me) about 4 or 5 days later. I was tested on day 7. I tested negative but my wife tested positive at the same time (as did everyone else at the gathering). The doctor giving us the results said I was almost certainly a false negative and that I had it. I started getting actually sick the next day.

I ran a low grade fever, had bad fatigue, chills, a cough, loss of sense of smell, and, worst of all, shortness of breath. That lasted about a week. At the end of a week I developed nausea and intestinal symptoms that lasted a couple of days. After that it was very much an up and down situation for another week. One day I'd be okay and the next I'd have shortness of breath and bad fatigue again.

About 3 weeks from when I was exposed and after two weeks of being sick I turned the corner. The shortness of breath went away and the cough improved. I had a couple more weeks of fatigue but it steadily improved. I still get winded easily though. That will probably persist for a while.

Of the family that contracted it, we all experienced symptoms differently. My brother in law's family (the ones that brought it to the gathering), had mild symptoms that lasted a few days. It was like a mild flu. My father in law experienced severe nausea that lasted a couple weeks but few other symptoms. My wife had most of what I had except no breathing issues.

Some other things to watch out for. First, sleep issues. Covid caused some pretty bad sleep disruptions for my wife and I. Next, anxiety. The breathing issues triggered bad anxiety for me which in turn caused the breathing issues to get worse. Also, my wife and I both had a brain fog that made concentrating very difficult.

My best advice, don't overdo it when you start to feel better. It will just make you feel worse when the roller coaster of symptoms dips again.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Oklahomahawk (01-19-2021)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    had it early March

it really kicked my ass for a stretch of 4 days. only out of bed to take a piss. couldn't stand long enough to make a sandwich etc

was about 2 weeks long for the worst symptoms

hopefully it won't be too bad for ya man. :fingers crossed:
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I think I may have gotten it back in late Dec. of '19. My student got really sick coming back from an English camp in New Zealand with about a hundred Chinese kids. He was diagnosed with Kawasaki Disease but the doctors weren't sure. I suddenly came down with teeth rattling chills that lasted for a couple of hours, but then went away. I was sluggish for about a week and never went to the hospital, but this was before news was out about Covid. I don't know if either my student or I have the antibodies since Japan doesn't test unless you are really sick.

My mother in the states got it and lost her sense of taste and smell. Said water tasted bad. She's over 80 and it fatigued her for almost a month but never became severe.

Take care Oklahomahawk and try to get out in the sun and fresh air.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    good luck Hawk
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    That sucks. I had it back around Thanksgiving. I picked it up on a Saturday at a family gathering. I started getting the first symptoms (nasal congestion for me) about 4 or 5 days later. I was tested on day 7. I tested negative but my wife tested positive at the same time (as did everyone else at the gathering). The doctor giving us the results said I was almost certainly a false negative and that I had it. I started getting actually sick the next day.

I ran a low grade fever, had bad fatigue, chills, a cough, loss of sense of smell, and, worst of all, shortness of breath. That lasted about a week. At the end of a week I developed nausea and intestinal symptoms that lasted a couple of days. After that it was very much an up and down situation for another week. One day I'd be okay and the next I'd have shortness of breath and bad fatigue again.

About 3 weeks from when I was exposed and after two weeks of being sick I turned the corner. The shortness of breath went away and the cough improved. I had a couple more weeks of fatigue but it steadily improved. I still get winded easily though. That will probably persist for a while.

Of the family that contracted it, we all experienced symptoms differently. My brother in law's family (the ones that brought it to the gathering), had mild symptoms that lasted a few days. It was like a mild flu. My father in law experienced severe nausea that lasted a couple weeks but few other symptoms. My wife had most of what I had except no breathing issues.

Some other things to watch out for. First, sleep issues. Covid caused some pretty bad sleep disruptions for my wife and I. Next, anxiety. The breathing issues triggered bad anxiety for me which in turn caused the breathing issues to get worse. Also, my wife and I both had a brain fog that made concentrating very difficult.

My best advice, don't overdo it when you start to feel better. It will just make you feel worse when the roller coaster of symptoms dips again.
    Thanks Striker. Yeah Thanksgiving and Christmas get togethers are great places to get it. Our problem on that front is that we have no idea where we got it or from whom. The wife has long been in bad health and she rarely goes anywhere by herself. She seems to have gotten it first and then I got it from her. We have been uber careful about masks and social distancing since all this first started. The only places I can think of where we didn't have masks on 100% of the time are at some local restaurants. We do our best to eat at local places when we dine out as well as shop as much as we can at the local grocery stores, though to be fair I am sure I must have part ownership in at least one of the Walton's private islands by this point. :/ We are in a very touristy part of SE Oklahoma. LOTS of Texans come up here for Beaver's Bend State Park and the conglomeration of restaurants and businesses up there by the lake. In fact either 8 or 9 of our first 10 COVID cases here in McCurtain county came from Texans who were running around here almost totally without masks. In fact 2 cars full of them got into an accident (with each other) and they exposed all the law enforcement and first responders who worked the accident to COVID since several of them had it and were asymptomatic.

Anyway, I've had no fever at all, very little coughing though there's definitely some serious crap going on with my lungs. I definitely have the extreme shortness of breath, a lot of body aches, bad sinus issues, sore throat and exhaustion. What's really sad is that I've probably had it at least a week but didn't know because I always feel several of those things. I hope I've learned my lesson about allowing myself to get SO out of shape and once this is finally over I'm going to try and work out more. Not sure what I can do about all the sinus crap though. Almost everybody I know around here has that most of the time. Hoping to get called to come over and get the infusion treatment like my wife got last week so I can maybe get over this a little sooner.

When a person my age and physical condition before getting COVID has 1 full time teaching job and 7 part time teaching jobs there just isn't any room for getting sick. Glad you're feeling better now by the way. About how long did it take you to get "back to normal"?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    had it early March

it really kicked my ass for a stretch of 4 days. only out of bed to take a piss. couldn't stand long enough to make a sandwich etc

was about 2 weeks long for the worst symptoms

hopefully it won't be too bad for ya man. :fingers crossed:
    Thanks man. It's been pretty rough but I had some sort of stomach flu about 3 years ago that in many ways was worse than this. I was literally out of it for 3 full days. I'd sleep 3 or 4 hours, wake up go to the bathroom and my wife would bring me a Sprite or some soup, I'd eat/drink just a little of each, take another round of OTC stuff and go back to sleep for another 3 or 4 hours and hallucinate some when I was awake but I had some of the most intense, realistic dreams that were totally not true but I would have sworn on a Bible that they were. Weird stuff. Glad you got over yours. I have to keep fighting and get over this. There are still some people I haven't pissed off yet so I have to get well. :)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I think I may have gotten it back in late Dec. of '19. My student got really sick coming back from an English camp in New Zealand with about a hundred Chinese kids. He was diagnosed with Kawasaki Disease but the doctors weren't sure. I suddenly came down with teeth rattling chills that lasted for a couple of hours, but then went away. I was sluggish for about a week and never went to the hospital, but this was before news was out about Covid. I don't know if either my student or I have the antibodies since Japan doesn't test unless you are really sick.

My mother in the states got it and lost her sense of taste and smell. Said water tasted bad. She's over 80 and it fatigued her for almost a month but never became severe.

Take care Oklahomahawk and try to get out in the sun and fresh air.
    Glad you got over yours. My neighbor, who is 81 or 82 got this really bad crap about the same time you're talking about. That was before anybody outside the government knew what COVID was. I took him some food and was a little bit hesitant to actually go into his house (I thought it might have been the flu) but he assured me it was bronchitis and probably a little bit of pneumonia and he had been to the doctor and been diagnosed and given antibiotics so I felt like there was a minimal risk. I went in for a while and asked him about his illness and never caught anything myself. It sure sounds similar to COVID now looking back.

That's another thing I forgot to mention to Striker, neither the wife or I have lost our sense of taste of smell and that seems to be something that almost everyone around here DID do when they got it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Thanks Striker. Yeah Thanksgiving and Christmas get togethers are great places to get it. Our problem on that front is that we have no idea where we got it or from whom. The wife has long been in bad health and she rarely goes anywhere by herself. She seems to have gotten it first and then I got it from her. We have been uber careful about masks and social distancing since all this first started. The only places I can think of where we didn't have masks on 100% of the time are at some local restaurants. We do our best to eat at local places when we dine out as well as shop as much as we can at the local grocery stores, though to be fair I am sure I must have part ownership in at least one of the Walton's private islands by this point. :/ We are in a very touristy part of SE Oklahoma. LOTS of Texans come up here for Beaver's Bend State Park and the conglomeration of restaurants and businesses up there by the lake. In fact either 8 or 9 of our first 10 COVID cases here in McCurtain county came from Texans who were running around here almost totally without masks. In fact 2 cars full of them got into an accident (with each other) and they exposed all the law enforcement and first responders who worked the accident to COVID since several of them had it and were asymptomatic.

Anyway, I've had no fever at all, very little coughing though there's definitely some serious crap going on with my lungs. I definitely have the extreme shortness of breath, a lot of body aches, bad sinus issues, sore throat and exhaustion. What's really sad is that I've probably had it at least a week but didn't know because I always feel several of those things. I hope I've learned my lesson about allowing myself to get SO out of shape and once this is finally over I'm going to try and work out more. Not sure what I can do about all the sinus crap though. Almost everybody I know around here has that most of the time. Hoping to get called to come over and get the infusion treatment like my wife got last week so I can maybe get over this a little sooner.

When a person my age and physical condition before getting COVID has 1 full time teaching job and 7 part time teaching jobs there just isn't any room for getting sick. Glad you're feeling better now by the way. About how long did it take you to get "back to normal"?
    From the onset of real symptoms (shortness of breath, coughing, etc), I was at a level where I could consistently operate about 2 weeks later. It took me probably a month before I was relatively symptom free. Still don't have the stamina I had before and get winded easier but that's a process. So I'd say back to normal in two weeks from onset (3 from exposure), recovered fully in a month.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Had really mild symptoms. Had 1 day where I had aches. Shortness of breath lasted about a week. Taste and smell are just now coming back. Never got a fever. I imagine I'm lucky, but losing the taste and smell was the worst. I didn't expect that to be the worst part.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluedevilruss For This Useful Post:

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    From the onset of real symptoms (shortness of breath, coughing, etc), I was at a level where I could consistently operate about 2 weeks later. It took me probably a month before I was relatively symptom free. Still don't have the stamina I had before and get winded easier but that's a process. So I'd say back to normal in two weeks from onset (3 from exposure), recovered fully in a month.
    Thanks for the info Striker. I know I have shortness of breath and basically no energy and raging sinus issues but the saddest part may be that until my wife got sick enough to go and get tested I really didn't feel all that much different than usual. Isn't that pitiful. Right now my #1 problem is my throat. It's sore AF!!! In fact this is the worst sore throat I've had in decades. Hoping that will pass and the lung stuff doesn't get worse. In the meantime I guess I'll just putter along and do stuff in spurts.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevilruss View Post
    Had really mild symptoms. Had 1 day where I had aches. Shortness of breath lasted about a week. Taste and smell are just now coming back. Never got a fever. I imagine I'm lucky, but losing the taste and smell was the worst. I didn't expect that to be the worst part.
    Neither of us has lost taste or smell. I would definitely prefer that to feeling like I swallowed (about 1/2) a full grown porcupine. I'm trying to figure out a way to numb it right now.

I'm happy for you that you didn't have more symptoms. I know those were bad enough but I'm still happy yours weren't worse.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I think my father has it.

He had a fever and cough last week. Got first part of vaccine Saturday.

Shortness of breathe and dizziness and loss of appetite now. May have to take him to the ER today. Sigh.
    Forever Fredi

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    I think my father has it.

He had a fever and cough last week. Got first part of vaccine Saturday.

Shortness of breathe and dizziness and loss of appetite now. May have to take him to the ER today. Sigh.
    Do you think the vaccine caused him to get it or it was just a bad coincidence? I can tell you that the key to dealing with this crap is to figure out best to deal with each specific symptom, one at a time. I'll tell you more about what I've learned about my own symptoms if you'd like. I hope your father feels better soon.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Do you think the vaccine caused him to get it or it was just a bad coincidence? I can tell you that the key to dealing with this crap is to figure out best to deal with each specific symptom, one at a time. I'll tell you more about what I've learned about my own symptoms if you'd like. I hope your father feels better soon.
    I'm taking him to the hospital now
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I hope you're overreacting. If it's any consolation, a relative in the medical field told me that 2/3 of her co-workers became sick after the vaccine. Symptoms only lasted a couple of days though.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I hate to hear this. Will be thinking about you.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I hope you're overreacting. If it's any consolation, a relative in the medical field told me that 2/3 of her co-workers became sick after the vaccine. Symptoms only lasted a couple of days though.
    Well, better to overreact.

My cousin lives with us and he tested positive Monday. I got tested as a precaution Tuesday with my dad, but I havent been in direct contact with either of them as I just work and go straight to my room. We did a drive in test and took separate cars.

My father had a fever and cough before the vaccine, and his shortness of breathe and such just started occurring after the vaccine so it's hard to know.

My cousin is currently out of the house, house sitting for someone but is currently asymptomatic.

My test results should come in sometime today or tomorrow.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Good luck Sav

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I tested negative.

dad tested positive (these tests were from Tuesday).

They wouldn’t let me in the ER with him since he’s exhibiting symptoms. I’m taking a rapid test just to be safe and get a second result. So we’ll see.
    Forever Fredi