Page 5 of 389 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: January 6th insurrection thread...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

"I am your retribution."

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    a bunch of middle to upper class white people thinking they are oppressed

Reminds me of a certain poster here
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Calling this an insurrection still cracks me up. There are nights I fall asleep on the couch better armed than any of these guys were.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    You sleep with pipe bombs next to you?

I mean, know what and who you support

I get why you wouldn’t want to call the insurrection an insurrection
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I wonder how different the reaction to the attack would be if there had been a few lawmakers or staff killed, which could have easily happened.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    There is a big problem with how we handle bail and pre-trial detention and honestly the best and quickest way to get that reform is for conservatives to experience it themselves because they champion this ****. Criminal justice reform is kind of my thing, but I want these lunatics in jail awaiting trial. He should probably get a mental health evaluation but Conservatives would cry about treating the QAnon election fraud hoaxers as a mental illness. This guy is clearly still delusional and his arrest hasnt given him any mental clarity like some of those others. Thats and not finding his weapons is a great reason to keep him behind bars. Like you said, he was caught red handed and is obviously going to prison. He will get credit for this jail time so its not like he is serving 1 day extra.
    There are some fair points here, but I just can’t ever really get behind not allowing someone to post bail before their trial, because as of right now he’s not been convicted of any crimes for this yet. I have no sympathy for the guy, I just don’t like the idea of getting behind a broken system because it worked out in a way I might find more favorable. In the future, similarly severe offenses will lead to the same treatment, and I’d just rather not stand on the sideline this time before it happens to someone who aligns closer with me politically.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-03-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    The judge is still wrong. You cannot be punished for a crime you've not yet been convicted of. You actually have a constitutional right to reasonable bail.

There are times when you can be denied bail but the reasons cannot be punishment for the crime you're charged with. You must, procedurally, be presumed innocent of that crime. Bail can be denied if you present a danger to the community or if you're a flight risk.

Flight risk is usually mitigated by turning in your passport so that's not usually the reason for denying bail.

As for being a danger, again, you enjoy a presumption of innocence so whether you're a danger cannot be based on what you're charged with. The judge has to decide based on other factors, notably your record.

Looking at what you're charged with and calling you "brazen" is not appropriate. However, in practice, judges frequently base bail determinations on what a person is charged with. It's wrong and needs to be addressed but it's unfortunately common.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

mqt (02-03-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    You sleep with pipe bombs next to you?

I mean, know what and who you support

I get why you wouldn’t want to call the insurrection an insurrection
    I missed the article about pipe bombs being found in the Capitol building or any other government building. Link?
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    There are some fair points here, but I just can’t ever really get behind not allowing someone to post bail before their trial, because as of right now he’s not been convicted of any crimes for this yet. I have no sympathy for the guy, I just don’t like the idea of getting behind a broken system because it worked out in a way I might find more favorable. In the future, similarly severe offenses will lead to the same treatment, and I’d just rather not stand on the sideline this time before it happens to someone who aligns closer with me politically.
    he has a stash of weapons hidden somewhere...if he wants out of jail before his trial it would be a helpful step to turn those weapons in...

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    he has a stash of weapons hidden somewhere...if he wants out of jail before his trial it would be a helpful step to turn those weapons in...
    Him not turning over the rifle is about the only reason I see for denying bail. Even that could be argues against.

The fact the judge is pre-adjudicating him talking about the evidence presented in him storming the capitol is just wrong though. It doesn't matter what the evidence is, he still gets the presumption of innocence until there's a verdict.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    The mafia lawyer and Bill Cosby apologist need better law clerks.

ANSWER OF PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP,45TH PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES,
    TO ARTICLE I : INCITEMENT OF INSURRECTION

To:The Honorable, the Members of the Unites States Senate:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Him not turning over the rifle is about the only reason I see for denying bail. Even that could be argues against.

The fact the judge is pre-adjudicating him talking about the evidence presented in him storming the capitol is just wrong though. It doesn't matter what the evidence is, he still gets the presumption of innocence until there's a verdict.
    The State would not be going to the trouble of arresting someone and putting that person on trial if they "presumed innocence", but I know what you are saying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    The State would not be going to the trouble of arresting someone and putting that person on trial if they "presumed innocence", but I know what you are saying.
    The whole bail system is messed up. If a case is high profile, a judge is less likely to give bail when that shouldn't matter. If a guy is clearly not a threat but can't afford much bail they'll often rot in jail waiting for trial. Conversely, a businessman in the suburbs accused of murder will often get bail so long as the case isn't a media circus. It's really messed up.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Pretty sure I saw Photograph #133 out behind Walmart last night

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Pretty sure I saw Photograph #133 out behind Walmart last night
    20$ and a bus ticket gets that guy to March on the capitol
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    BREAKING: Canada declares the white supremacists Proud Boys a terrorist entity, adding the far-right group to a list that includes al-Qaeda, ISIS and al-Shabab as part of an effort to crack down on what senior government officials called one of the country’s “most serious threats.”
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Her brother couldn’t make it to the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, but she worried that he would join a new insurrection — that one day “he would be one of the people on TV.”

The woman in her 30s asked her family to make plans, she said, hoping to keep her brother busy. Then she contacted a nonprofit group called Parents for Peace that seeks to pull people back from extremism, hoping to “save” him, after years of dismay at his hatred of Muslims and Mexicans and now alarm at his anger over the presidential election.

Dissecting her brother’s life and their relationship in weekly sessions, she started to wonder whether she was part of the problem.

The woman, who did not want her name or location made public so as not to upset her brother, is part of a surge of desperate families and friends calling organizations that aim to deradicalize and “deprogram” extremists across the ideological spectrum. Such organizations say demand for their free services has never been higher.

Parents for Peace, a 10-person operation of mostly volunteers, says calls to its national helpline have tripled since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, with a growing number of younger people being groomed in white supremacist ideology. After supporters of then-President Donald Trump stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, the intervention groups have experienced a deluge of calls related to the attack as well as to conspiracy theories and QAnon.

The range of extremist ideas they encounter also has widened in the past year, driven by the 2020 election and the pandemic.

With the federal government sounding some of its strongest alarms yet about the threat of domestic extremism, these groups say they offer a way forward. Often staffed in part by the formerly radicalized, they are on the front lines of the fight against right-wing extremism, a growing threat that is in the spotlight but which experts argue has long been neglected.

“These are people who have chosen hate and ideology as a drug of choice to numb the pain of underlying issues and grievances, and so we treat this the same way we treat addiction,” said Myrieme Churchill, the executive director of Parents for Peace. A father co-founded the group after his radicalized son fatally shot a U.S. soldier.

Experts say deradicalization can be a long and winding process, full of reversals, and emphasize that formal programs are just one tool in a sprawling fight against an overwhelming problem. Some say that hardened extremists are often beyond reach until a tectonic shift in their own lives forces self-reflection.

Groups and movements like the Proud Boys, QAnon and the subculture of incels — “involuntary celibates” who preach extreme violence and misogyny — are part of the new wave of what Rangel called “pop-up” renditions of white supremacy. Members of all have sought help from Life After Hate, Rangel said, arguing that the growing eruption of far-right violence has made the need for intervention and rehabilitation more pressing than ever.

high school student from New Hampshire said he was 11 when he first stumbled upon the concept of white nationalism through an online anime imageboard. Now 17, he says he found a haven and sense of community in online platforms and social media forums where people would trumpet their far-right views. He was hooked.

Last year, he said, he grew more outspoken about his adherence to far-right nationalist theories such as “the Great Replacement,” which warns that the White population of Europe is being replaced by non-White immigrants.

Shocked and concerned, his parents turned to Parents for Peace. Weekly meetings with coaches — sometimes by himself, sometimes with his parents — dug into the family’s history and analyzed his ideology.

“My goal was not to challenge his thought process or ideology but to get to a point where he could do it on his own,” said Buckley, who worked with the teenager. The process was an “emotional roller coaster with peaks and valleys, built on trust and compassion,” he said.

It took almost six months, but eventually, the teenager came to recognize the irrationality of his beliefs — as well as the psychological toll they took on him. “It’s the most exhausting and draining place you can imagine,” he said. “It is filled with frothing vitriol, sheer unadulterated anger.”

Away from the Internet now, the teen says he has more time to play the banjo and listen to folk music.

“When I took a break from it, it felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders,” he said. “I was free.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...am-extremists/

hopefully the stimulus bill will provide a lot of funding to these deradicalization programs...they are doing important and vitally needed work
    Last edited by nsacpi; 02-05-2021 at 01:03 PM.

"I am your retribution."