Page 24 of 713 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124524 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Field

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    are you vaccinated ?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Well when you look at mid 19th century issues with an early 21st century paradigm then you clearly miss out on the realities of that time. It’s a common mistake leftists make.
    Hes always been a loser. Anyone with brains will tell you about the causes of The New York draft riots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Hes always been a loser. Anyone with brains will tell you about the causes of The New York draft riots.
    Aside from slavery it’s a shame the south didn’t win. But considering that would have meant slavery would have lasted longer I’m glad the north won.
    Natural Immunity Croc

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-11-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Got to say though. I’ve enjoyed reading the last few pages here.

Makes me remember 11th grade AP history.

Been a while
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    MTG has never shown an ounce of leadership in her life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Aside from slavery it’s a shame the south didn’t win. But considering that would have meant slavery would have lasted longer I’m glad the north won.
    Yep. I wish there had been some way of compromising a truce instead, where the South...er actually the South and the North... stopped the practice of slavery and the North stopped the practice of empowering the federal government for the sake of screwing over the South.

The expansion of the federal government's powers that resulted from the war did far more to screw the southern states than just doing the right thing on slavery would have.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Got to say though. I’ve enjoyed reading the last few pages here.

Makes me remember 11th grade AP history.

Been a while
    Makes you wonder how much of that is still taught in History class, doesn't it?
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    If only the North hadn't 't been so mean to the slave holders
    Gimme a break

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Once again, you either completely miss the point or intentionally misrepresent it. I'm honestly not sure which one it is.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Yeah, I miss the point.

The Civil War was over an obscure tariff in the 1830's.

That Wikipedia reminded me was later rescinded.

And the northerners were mean to the slave holders

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Your justification of Confederacy rings equal to the logic of Saudi suicide bombers were justified killing 3000+ because American women drove cars and wouldn't cover their heads

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Except in the Saudi's version they invoked a god.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Yep. I wish there had been some way of compromising a truce instead, where the South...er actually the South and the North... stopped the practice of slavery and the North stopped the practice of empowering the federal government for the sake of screwing over the South.

The expansion of the federal government's powers that resulted from the war did far more to screw the southern states than just doing the right thing on slavery would have.
    I mean you really haven't done that much basic research?

We know in hindsight that slavery owuld have ended anyway because of the industrial revolution but that wasn't on anyone's minds in 1860.

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/p...eceding-states

Georgia

"For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery. They have endeavored to weaken our security, to disturb our domestic peace and tranquility, and persistently refused to comply with their express constitutional obligations to us in reference to that property, and by the use of their power in the Federal Government have striven to deprive us of an equal enjoyment of the common Territories of the Republic."

Mississippi

"Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. "

South Carolina

"The slaveholding States will no longer have the power of self-government, or self-protection, and the Federal Government will have become their enemy."

Texas

"She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time. "

I mean it's pretty clear that the south seceded because they wanted to continue slavery. It almost collapsed late 18th century until the Cotton GIn. Should have been a clue as to the direction things were going, but the Southern States lacked vision.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I mean you really haven't done that much basic research?

We know in hindsight that slavery owuld have ended anyway because of the industrial revolution but that wasn't on anyone's minds in 1860.

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/p...eceding-states

Georgia

"For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery. They have endeavored to weaken our security, to disturb our domestic peace and tranquility, and persistently refused to comply with their express constitutional obligations to us in reference to that property, and by the use of their power in the Federal Government have striven to deprive us of an equal enjoyment of the common Territories of the Republic."

Mississippi

"Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. "

South Carolina

"The slaveholding States will no longer have the power of self-government, or self-protection, and the Federal Government will have become their enemy."

Texas

"She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time. "

I mean it's pretty clear that the south seceded because they wanted to continue slavery. It almost collapsed late 18th century until the Cotton GIn. Should have been a clue as to the direction things were going, but the Southern States lacked vision.
    Yeah, I mean there's no doubt as to why the rich plantation owners who ran the states went to war. The conversation started about the many, many, many more southerners who took the side of the Confederacy despite not benefiting from slavery.
    Go get him!

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Yeah, I mean there's no doubt as to why the rich plantation owners who ran the states went to war. The conversation started about the many, many, many more southerners who took the side of the Confederacy despite not benefiting from slavery.
    Well the reality is that they were sold a story. As the rich often do. They were sold the idea that the Government was going to take everything from them. When in reality the average Southerner would have been much better not fighting.

I mean the reality is the line from War Pigs is very very true.

"Politicians hide themselves away
    They only started the war
    Why should they go out to fight?
    They leave that role to the poor, yeah"
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    That’s a pretty ****ing big qualifier, sir.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (09-11-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Well when you look at mid 19th century issues with an early 21st century paradigm then you clearly miss out on the realities of that time. It’s a common mistake leftists make.
    It is true that we too often make the mistake of projecting our current understanding of the world too broadly on the individuals of the past and it can be unfair. However, I agree with Goldfly that it is a very common refrain to excuse the South for its views on slavery while simultaneously vilifying the North for its racism. Many try to “both sides” the civil war by pointing out Northern hypocrisy, when there was ultimately a damn-near objective right and wrong side in this particular conflict, even if the intentions of the North weren’t as pure as some might want to argue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    Most people arent capable of the self reflection to overcome their biases and what has been indoctrinated to them. These people in the past were raised to believe this stuff was okay. It was the socially dominate opinion of the time. Having the opposite opinion could get people lynched. Most people who want to say they are bad people for this stuff would have been the same as them if raised in the same environment.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Most people arent capable of the self reflection to overcome their biases and what has been indoctrinated to them. These people in the past were raised to believe this stuff was okay. It was the socially dominate opinion of the time. Having the opposite opinion could get people lynched. Most people who want to say they are bad people for this stuff would have been the same as them if raised in the same environment.
    That's why I think the 100,000 white southerners who fought for the Union were amazing people. They rose above the prejudices of their times and extremely strong social pressures and did the right thing.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."