Page 710 of 717 FirstFirst ... 210610660700708709710711712 ... LastLast
Results 14,181 to 14,200 of 14324

Thread: 2024 Field

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It's been interesting to see Lake and others adjusting their positions. I guess they were pro-life only as long as they saw something in it for them.
    So basically they're just like every other politician. So much for an outsider...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    So basically they're just like every other politician. So much for an outsider...
    Yeah. I'm not saying they're being less principled than politicians that trim their sails on other positions. It's just interesting to see it happening on this particular issue. In some ways life was easy for politicians pre-Wade reversal.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    MAGA is a goal seek function of whatever Trump decides to muse about on a given day.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (04-12-2024)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    MAGA is a goal seek function of whatever Trump decides to muse about on a given day.
    "Listless vessels"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,791 Posts
    If memory serves thethes entire opposition to RDS was a very benign statement on Ukraine

And Trump is *still* supported unlimited aid to Ukraine

Nothing matters to the listless vessels

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Bill Kristol
    @BillKristol
    ·
    2h
    Too obvious perhaps to need saying:

Republicans don’t have a problem with non-citizens voting, since there are no non-citizens voting.

Republicans have a problem with black and brown citizens voting.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Bill Kristol
    @BillKristol
    ·
    2h
    Too obvious perhaps to need saying:

Republicans don’t have a problem with non-citizens voting, since there are no non-citizens voting.

Republicans have a problem with black and brown citizens voting.
    My biggest problem is with women voting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Them too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Them too
    Yeah they're not very good at it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    My biggest problem is with women voting
    Candidate A: perfect policy on everything
    Candidate B: tax rate 80%, seize your property, abortion with no restrictions

Women vote overwhelmingly for B

Obviously exaggerated, but it's true... women basically just care about killing babies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,791 Posts

Obviously exaggerated, but it's true... women basically just care about killing babies.
    Easily their number one issue. And also don't want to be called a racist!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Easily their number one issue. And also don't want to be called a racist!
    Should be some sort of penalty for an abortion imo. After 2, a hysterectomy. If a man has a kid that he falls behind on child support, vasectomy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,791 Posts
    As we know, literally nothing matters to the listless vessels. The god can do no wrong, and they will adapt to today's pivot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts

This is why we need ranked choice voting. Ideally Candidate A wouldnt win a primary because their parties voters would know they would turn so many voters to Candidate B. When those primary voters vote for Candidate A anyways then the fault lies with them, not the voters who switch to candidate B because Candidate A takes a losing position. I am personally not a big fan of abortion but its a losing issue. Republicans need to take that hint instead of crying about it and trying to subvert democracy to impose it on the majority. I think we just need to compromise and let Christians who want abortion to be illegal sign a pledge to not have or help anyone get one and we can setup some Christian prisons privately funded by churchs for any of those Christians who violate it to be imprisoned in. I dont see why they need it to be the law for everyone in order for it to be the law for them.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    This is why we need ranked choice voting. Ideally Candidate A wouldnt win a primary because their parties voters would know they would turn so many voters to Candidate B. When those primary voters vote for Candidate A anyways then the fault lies with them, not the voters who switch to candidate B because Candidate A takes a losing position. I am personally not a big fan of abortion but its a losing issue. Republicans need to take that hint instead of crying about it and trying to subvert democracy to impose it on the majority. I think we just need to compromise and let Christians who want abortion to be illegal sign a pledge to not have or help anyone get one and we can setup some Christian prisons privately funded by churchs for any of those Christians who violate it to be imprisoned in. I dont see why they need it to be the law for everyone in order for it to be the law for them.
    Our polity has found ways to accommodate the beliefs of groups like the Amish. Surely we can do the same with other groups. However, it should be noted that the Amish make the choice to withdraw from some aspects of modernity, as opposed to trying to actively stop the tides of cultural change. Sometimes those cultural tides move against us. That's how it goes. Young people have been deviating from the norms of their elders forever. Often this represents progress. Sometimes not.

My views on abortion can't be described as pro-choice or pro-life. I suspect that's how it is with most people. Now that our political system has to fashion laws on abortion it will have to respond to those of us who aren't at the extremes on this issue. And it has been. The pro-life movement (with whom some of my sympathies lie) would do well to listen to the hints of the voters from places like Kansas and Ohio (and soon Florida and Arizona and Nevada). Politics can be described as the art of the possible. Make coalitions. Be pragmatic. Above all don't insult women!! Try listening to them. If you really care about saving babies (both before and after birth).
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-14-2024 at 07:11 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Seems like yesterday the boys were railing against " tyranny"
    Ah, the good ole days

April 14, 2024
    HEATHER COX RICHARDSON
    APR 15, 2024

Today, on ABC’s This Week, host George Stephanopoulos asked New Hampshire governor Chris Sununu about his recent switch from supporting former South Carolina governor Nikki Haley for the Republican presidential nomination to supporting former president Trump.

“Just to sum up,” Stephanopoulos said, “You support [Trump] for president even if he's convicted in [the] classified documents [case]. You support him for president even though you believe he contributed to an insurrection. You support him for president even though you believe he's lying about the last election. You support him for president even if he's convicted in the Manhattan case. I just want to say, the answer to that is yes, correct?”

Sununu answered: “Yeah. Me and 51% of America.”

Aside from its overstatement of Trump’s national support, Sununu’s answer illustrated the triumph of politics over principle. Earlier in the interview, Sununu explained that he could swallow all of Trump’s negatives because he wanted a Republican administration. “This is about politics,” he said.

Sununu is part of the Republican faction that focuses on cutting taxes and slashing regulations. Trump has promised further tax cuts, while Biden has said he will raise taxes on the very wealthy and on corporations to make sure the nation does not have to cut Social Security benefits and Medicare. Republicans have suggested they will make those cuts to balance the budget, although at least 90% of the current budget deficit not due to emergencies like Covid is a result of tax cuts under George W. Bush and Trump.

Sununu may be embracing Trump for his fiscal policies. But there is possibly another dynamic at play in the shift of Republican leaders behind Trump. As Thomas Edsall outlined in the New York Times on April 10 in a piece about donors, they appear to be afraid of retaliation if they don’t join his team. Certainly he has worked to instill that fear, warning in January that anyone who contributed to Haley’s campaign “from this moment forth, will be permanently barred from the MAGA camp. We don’t want them, and will not accept them.”

Trump has been very clear that he intends to use the power of the state to crush those who he feels have been insufficiently supportive of him. There is every reason to take him at his word, as he tried to do exactly that during his presidency. He used the Internal Revenue Service to harass former FBI director James Comey—who refused to kill the investigation into the ties between Trump’s 2016 campaign and Russian operatives as Trump demanded—and Andrew McCabe, who took over as acting FBI director after Trump fired Comey.

He demanded investigations and indictments of former president Barack Obama and then–former vice president Joe Biden, former secretaries of state Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, as well as a Democratic lawyer. Former U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York Geoffrey Berman, whom Trump appointed after he fired Preet Bharara, recalled: “Throughout my tenure as U.S. attorney, Trump’s Justice Department kept demanding that I use my office to aid them politically, and I kept declining—in ways just tactful enough to keep me from being fired.”

That dynamic already appears to be at work as people are obeying in advance. On April 10, Pulitzer Prize–winning photographer David Hume Kennerly resigned from the board of the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Foundation after his fellow trustees declined to present the Gerald R. Ford Medal for Distinguished Public Service to former Wyoming representative Liz Cheney out of concern that a future President Trump would retaliate against the organization by taking away its tax-exempt status.

“The historical irony was completely lost on you,” Kennerly wrote. “Gerald Ford became president, in part, because Richard Nixon had ordered the development of an enemies list and demanded his underlings use the IRS against those listed. That’s exactly what the executive committee fears will happen if there’s a second coming of Donald Trump.”

Harking back to Ford’s service in the World War II Navy, Kennerly wrote: “Did [Lieutenant] Gerald Ford meet the enemy head-on because he thought he wouldn’t get killed? No. He did it despite that possibility. This executive committee, on the other hand, bolted before any shots were fired. You aren’t alone. Many foundations, organizations, corporations, and other entities are caught up in this tidal wave of timidity and fear that’s sweeping this country. I mistakenly thought we were better than that. This is the kind of acquiescent behavior that leads to authoritarianism. President Ford most likely would have come out even tougher and said that it leads directly to fascism.”

As Princeton sociology professor Kim Lane Scheppele told Edsall, those still operating under the impression that they will curry favor with a dictator are painfully unaware of how dictators actually operate: like Russia’s Vladimir Putin or Hungary’s Viktor Orbán, if he is returned to power, Trump will use the power of the state to squeeze the wealthy as well as his political opponents, threatening them with investigations, audits, regulation—even criminal charges—unless they do as they are told.

But Sununu’s cynical announcement that he would destroy American democracy if it meant his party could stay in power is not only a misguided approach to trying to appease a dictator. It is a profound rejection of the meaning of American democracy: that we all are created equal and have a right to a say in our government. Throughout our history, Americans have found those principles so fundamental to human self-determination that they have given their lives for them.

It’s hard to miss that Sununu’s statement fell on the anniversary of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, who stood at the cemetery in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, where those who had died to defend the United States in July 1863 were buried and asked his fellow Americans to rededicate themselves “to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.”
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    911 Posts
    https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/...y?id=109208097

WEST DES MOINES, Iowa -- Independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has ruled out a run as a Libertarian candidate to assist in his efforts to get on the ballots in all 50 states -- a marked change from his prior posture, where he kept the door open.

"We're not gonna have any problems getting on the ballot ourselves so we won't be running Libertarian," he told ABC News

—————

Should’ve never been a thing since he’s not a libertarian!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/...y?id=109208097

WEST DES MOINES, Iowa -- Independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has ruled out a run as a Libertarian candidate to assist in his efforts to get on the ballots in all 50 states -- a marked change from his prior posture, where he kept the door open.

"We're not gonna have any problems getting on the ballot ourselves so we won't be running Libertarian," he told ABC News

—————

Should’ve never been a thing since he’s not a libertarian!
    Wouldn’t have surprised me if (L) embraced him as one of our own. For a party who exists purely on its principles, we do seem to crave validation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    The comments below this poll are so cringe.