Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Republican voter suppression...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    I was talking about those people as well

Literally anyone that talked about anything that wasn’t about voter suppression is “y’all” in that statement
    Ivermectin Man

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-03-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    For those of you on the left who aren't worried about ballot harvesting and expanded absentee ballots, you're naive or else blinded by the fact that it favors your side at the moment. Do you trust Republicans so much that you can't conceive of a way in which your opposition could take advantage of the practice?

The worry I have with widespread absentee ballots and ballot harvesting is the erosion of the Australian ballot as well as the lack of poll watchers. When you cast your ballot in person, you go into a private booth and cast anonymously. Both parties are allowed to have people on hand to observe. When you fill out your ballot at home you could have someone there making sure you fill it out "correctly" and there are no poll watchers to ensure this doesn't happen.

The idea of people taking ballots and changing them or something like that isn't nearly as big of a worry for me as it is of the parties mobilizing at the grass roots level to incentivize, coerce, or otherwise pressure people into voting and into voting a certain way.

If you trust our political parties wont try to take advantage of this situation, you're fooling yourselves.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (03-03-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Bryan Behar
    @bryanbehar

Instead of suppressing the votes of American citizens,
    why doesn’t the GOP run better candidates
    or present better ideas?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    You are clueless.

Who is paying for that water?

Who decides who gets water?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Lol, please explain how that matters to charging people that give water and food to people standing in line. Lol

Around here, it was donated by people though
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Yesterday a guy from a roofing company was knocking on every door on my street. I didn't answer the door because we're in a pandemic and that would be stupid. Obviously my actions were voter suppression.
    Last edited by Jaw; 03-03-2021 at 01:27 PM.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Lol, please explain how that matters to charging people that give water and food to people standing in line. Lol

Around here, it was donated by people though
    Does every voter in every county get the same amount?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Does every voter in every county get the same amount?
    This isn’t an explanation

When you want to explain it

I’ll continue with ya but your whataboutism and distraction points are a waste of time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Yesterday a guy from a roofing company was knocking on every door on my street. I didn't answer the door because we're in a pandemic and that would be stupid. Obviously my actions were voter suppression.
    Man, that’s a clever post

It will kill on right wing meme board man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    This isn’t an explanation

When you want to explain it

I’ll continue with ya but your whataboutism and distraction points are a waste of time
    I’m shocked you can’t comprehend my response.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Sure

Whenever you want to say how you should get a misdemeanor charge for giving food and water for people standing in line

Have at it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Sure

Whenever you want to say how you should get a misdemeanor charge for giving food and water for people standing in line

Have at it
    I already did. Trying to slow walk you to understand.

Should have figured that would be impossible.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Cute

Moving a long

Nice to confirm 2 on the board are for voter suppression

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    I confirm that I'm for idiot suppression

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    You are clueless.

Who is paying for that water?

Who decides who gets water?
    Perhaps the real issue GA should be addressing is an environment where the lines are so long that people feel the need to give out water.

I’m honestly okay with trading expanded voting for more voter ID requirements. I think there would be some reforms necessary to allow the very poor to more conveniently obtain the required ID or even make it digital in some way, but I’m not opposed to it. What am very much opposed to is making it harder to vote through reduced polling places/times or the current voting environment where larger population centers have serious barriers to voting. A national holiday or longer voting periods that include weekends would be a huge step forward.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

goldfly (03-03-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Perhaps the real issue GA should be addressing is an environment where the lines are so long that people feel the need to give out water.

I’m honestly okay with trading expanded voting for more voter ID requirements. I think there would be some reforms necessary to allow the very poor to more conveniently obtain the required ID or even make it digital in some way, but I’m not opposed to it. What am very much opposed to is making it harder to vote through reduced polling places/times or the current voting environment where larger population centers have serious barriers to voting. A national holiday or longer voting periods that include weekends would be a huge step forward.
    10% support extending voting times and locations. Universal mail in ballots can never happen again. Any changes are a complete non starter unless it includes that. And obviously voter ID is a no brainer. Do whatever it takes to make sure everyone that requests an ID can get one.

I’m just not sure what’s the argument against these types of reforms.

Problem is you have people that don’t think giving additional benefits to certain voters doesn’t violate the constitution and in general invite suspicious activities.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Lol, expanding measures doesn’t benefit one person or type of person

You just know that if you don’t have your roadblocks up to stop people from voting

You won’t win

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    10% support extending voting times and locations. Universal mail in ballots can never happen again. Any changes are a complete non starter unless it includes that. And obviously voter ID is a no brainer. Do whatever it takes to make sure everyone that requests an ID can get one.

I’m just not sure what’s the argument against these types of reforms.

Problem is you have people that don’t think giving additional benefits to certain voters doesn’t violate the constitution and in general invite suspicious activities.
    https://www.motherjones.com/politics...raud-solution/

This would be in line with what I’m thinking. I can’t imagine it would be that expensive in the long run to manage, and would seemingly solve a number of problems. I truly believe there are roadblocks to maintaining valid ID for those in big cities or those in poverty, which is why it becomes a trope to call ID laws racially motivated. Providing a free, federally managed solution would seem to resolve that disparity.

As for the objections, the most obvious answer is political positioning. Because of the disparity between rural and urban voting tendencies, any move aimed at making voting easier for those in larger cities will be enticing to Democrats and any move aimed at doing the opposite will be enticing to Republicans.

There are *some* barriers in more rural areas, but it’s still much easier in general. For instance, when I go to vote in my relatively small town, I can be in and out in 5 minutes including parking. I own a vehicle and can quickly make it to my DMV to renew my license, which isn’t even checked when I go to my polling place.

I don’t personally think most of the things like voter ID requirements or limiting polling stations are explicitly racist like many of my cohorts on the left do. What I do think is it’s intentionally done to depress turnout in areas that vote a certain way and the people making the laws don’t particularly care if it harms minority groups more than white voters. Something doesn’t need to have racist intentions to disproportionally affect minorities. Then the discourse jumps to RACISM and everyone retreats into their corners. If we turn it into a conversation about wealth and the unique needs of voters in larger cities, I think common ground would be easier to find.
    Last edited by mqt; 03-03-2021 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts

Devils advocate here. Hand out cookies laced with laxatives....... but seriously, following this logic they might make driving someone to go vote human trafficking.

This charge is so ridiculous I would go do it specifically intending to be arrested for it. This would be perfect for jury nullification.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.