Page 10 of 63 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Republican voter suppression...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Man, that’s a clever post

It will kill on right wing meme board man.
    Stop suppressing me.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Jonathan Ladd
    @jonmladd
    ·
    56m
    Cut the polling places in areas with heavily Black populations, creating long voting lines.

Then make it a crime to give people in voting lines food or water. This should be stopped

by the Voting Rights Act. And before Shelby County v Holder, it was.

Jonathan Chait
    @jonathanchait

"The bill would also ban what is known as “line warming,” the practice

of having volunteers provide water, snacks, chairs and other assistance

to voters in line."
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    People who are too stupid to not learn how to embed tweets should not be voting. Suppress them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    " when they are wrong on the policy they attack the politics. When they cant win on the politics they attack the personal"

you'd be wise to heed the Speakers moto

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    How will i survive if I don't get food or water while Voting?!?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    How will i survive if I don't get food or water while Voting?!?!
    Eventually they’ll say not allowing filet mignon to voters online is voter suppression.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Here is 20 dollars to vote.

What do you mean this is illegal?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2AZ009

Biden's order directs federal agencies to submit plans within 200 days that outline steps to expand voter registration and distribute election information to voters. It also directs the U.S. chief information officer to modernize federal websites and digital services that provide such details.

The push by Democrats to make it easier to vote comes as Republican lawmakers in dozens of states have moved to restrict voting access after former President Donald Trump's loss in the November election.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Wow, the government wants to be directly responsible for getting info to voters...

What could go wrong
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    what could go wrong is voters wouldn't be confused by information that wrongly states time and location ( I sarcast)
    A sanctioned PSA .
    What is wrong with that ?

Like in weather emergencies where the government points people to shelters and food banks
    Are you in favor of defunding those PSA's as well ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

By Emily Singer -March 4, 2021 4:20 PM0 Comments1648
    Advertisement

Buried in a bill passed in the Georgia House this week is a provision that makes it a crime to give out refreshments to voters waiting to cast ballots.

Republicans in the Georgia House of Representatives on Monday passed an elections bill that would require ID to vote by mail and cut back on early voting on Sundays, the latter a provision voting rights advocates say is directly aimed at suppressing the vote of Black Georgians, who often organize caravans to vote after church services.

Hidden in the 66-page bill is another provision that would make it a crime to give out food and drinks to voters waiting in line to cast their ballots.

According to the text of the bill, no person is allowed to "give, offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector ... [within] 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place."

If it becomes law, giving out food or drinks to voters waiting in line would become a misdemeanor crime.

The GOP move to make it a crime to give out refreshments to voters in line to vote comes after Georgia voters had to wait as long as 10 hours to cast ballots in the first days of early voting in the 2020 general election.

Groups like Pizza to the Polls, a nonpartisan nonprofit launched in 2016 to help people waiting in long lines to vote, sent hundreds of pizzas to voters waiting to cast ballots in Georgia's Jan. 5 Senate runoff elections. Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock won those elections, putting Democrats in both of Georgia's U.S. Senate seats for the first time since 2003.

Celebrities had publicized Pizza to the Polls' efforts during the runoff elections, hoping to encourage those waiting in long lines at polling sites to stay until they'd cast ballots.

But if the bill becomes law, it could stop groups like Pizza to the Polls from helping feed people who are forced to wait in the long lines to cast a ballot that result from the state's restrictive voting laws.

Pizza to the Polls did not immediately respond to a request for comment about whether it believes it could still operate in Georgia if the bill becomes law.

However, Carissa Byrne Hessick, a professor of criminal law at the University of North Carolina, said it could be a crime for someone to order snacks hand them out to fellow voters at polling places.

"The Georgia House just passed legislation that would not only make it more difficult to vote, but also makes it a crime to give food or water to anyone standing in line to vote.
    The idea that this should be a crime is completely outrageous," Hessick tweeted.

The Georgia bill is one of hundreds of voter suppression bills Republicans have introduced since Donald Trump's 2020 loss that would make it harder to vote, including by cutting back absentee voting and reducing the amount of time voters have to cast a ballot.

Trump and his GOP allies lied in claiming the 2020 presidential election was rife with fraud and say laws restricting access to absentee ballots, as well as more restrictive voter ID laws, are needed to prevent such fraud.

But the Georgia bill goes further, rolling back the number of early voting days — which could result in longer lines on Election Day — and then seeking to make it a crime for people to help make things easier for those forced to wait in those lines.

"Georgia Republicans passing a bill to exacerbate long voting lines while making it illegal to provide food & drinks to people in long voting lines is a special sort of diabolical," tweeted Stephen Wolf, a voting rights expert with Daily Kos Elections.

Democrats, for their part, are seeking to combat the onslaught of voter suppression laws by passing H.R. 1, a bill that would expand ballot access by requiring states to have automatic voter registration, hold early voting periods, allow any registered voter to cast a ballot by mail, and prohibit states from requiring ID to vote absentee.

If H.R. 1 becomes law, the bill passed in the Georgia House would be significantly curtailed.

"Voters in Georgia and across the country have suffered from state-sponsored voter suppression for too long," Stacey Abrams, the former Georgia state representative who runs a group that helps register voters in Georgia, tweeted on Thursday. "With tonight's passage of H.R. 1, we will be closer to ensuring our elections will be fair and free — no matter your skin color or zip code."

However, H.R. 1 faces long odds in the Senate.

Despite the fact that Democrats control the upper chamber, passage would require 10 GOP senators to vote for it.

There are unlikely to be 10 Republicans who will vote to pass H.R. 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Why is giving money to voters to vote a crime?

Unserious people.
    Natural Immunity Croc

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Why is giving money to voters to vote a crime?

Unserious people.
    I don’t see anybody complaining about money, man. Giving people a slice of pizza because they’re stuck in line isn’t the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I don’t see anybody complaining about money, man. Giving people a slice of pizza because they’re stuck in line isn’t the same.
    In terms of value it really isn’t

Offering anything of monetary value is a big no no unless of course it’s offered uniformly to all voters in all areas of the country and administered by strictly non partisan groups.
    Natural Immunity Croc

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts

Offering anything of monetary value is a big no no unless of course it’s offered uniformly to all voters in all areas of the country and administered by strictly non partisan groups.
    As we’ve agreed upon before, there’s a difference between voting in Atlanta or Philadelphia than there is in smaller towns. The next time it takes me two hours to vote, I’ll agree with it being unfair that I don’t get snacks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I would consider a federal law that says if lines to vote exceed 1 hour wait anywhere in the state they have to extend voting through the next day.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

lol

this is such an absurd take to make

person who says gov't has too much power etc etc in favor of arresting people that give food and water to people standing in line lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Is this the giving them 12 days to vote instead of 14, and not giving them a steak dinner in line suppression?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    asked and answered

see posts #142 and #143 of this thread
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."