Thread: Racism, Denialism, and January 6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Racism, Denialism, and January 6

The racist dimension is a theme that has been presented most powerfully by Chairman Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) in his remarks at the opening and the closing of the committee’s public hearings. “I’m from a part of the country where people justify the actions of slavery, the Klu Klux Klan, and lynching,” Rep. Thompson said in the first hearing. “I’m reminded of that dark history as I hear voices today try and justify the actions of the insurrectionists on January 6th, 2021.”

Racism helped propel post-election efforts to disenfranchise voters in major urban areas in Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and elsewhere; helped galvanize the concerted disinformation campaign against Black election poll workers Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss; and helped drive militia groups, Neonazis and similarly minded domestic terrorist groups to help plan and participate in the Capitol attack.

Giuliani, for example, “seized on a clip of Freeman passing Moss a ginger mint, claiming that the two women, both Black, were smuggling USB drives ‘as if they’re vials of heroin or cocaine.’ … Not only were Giuliani’s claims about Freeman and Moss reckless, racist, and false, they had real-world consequences that turned both women’s lives upside down. And further heightening the personal impact of these baseless attacks, President Trump supported, and even repeated, them, as described later,” the report states (p. 280).

“Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss, mother and daughter, were besieged by incessant, terrifying harassment and threats that often evoked racial violence and lynching, instigated and incited by the President of the United States,” the report states later (p. 305) – after providing a detailed list of state and local officials across several battleground states subject to a wave of racist, sexist,and antisemitic threats galvanized by Trump and Giuliani’s public demonization of them.

The Report also contains discussion of the role of white nationalist extremists, such as “online provocateur” Nick Fuentes and his Groypers, a loose network made up of figures that hold racist and antisemitic views. It provides an in-depth look at the crucial role of the Proud Boys, “Western chauvinists” known to promote “an exclusionary, hyper-masculine interpretation of Western culture,” in organizing and executing the breach of the Capitol. The report notes that Ethan Nordean, a Proud Boys leader involved in the the attack at the Capitol, invoked the “Day of the Rope” when discussing his intent to reject the outcome of the 2020 election, “referring to a day of mass lynching of ‘race traitors’ in the white supremacist novel The Turner Diaries.”

“White supremacists and Confederate-sympathizers were among the first rioters to enter the U.S. Capitol,” the report explains.

At the same time as making these racist throughlines more widely understood, the Report helpfully identifies rightwing anti-government extremism– with a focus on the Oathkeepers and the Three Percenters– as a related movement that explains the conditions that gave rise to the January 6th attack It notes these closely related movements produced what might be thought of as a presage for the assault on the Capitol, as “[f]ar-right extremists protested at or inside State capitols, or at other government buildings, in at least 68 instances” between January 1, 2020 and January 20, 2021.

https://www.justsecurity.org/84551/i...ry-6th-report/
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Glad we now have a thread to.discuss Jan 6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Back to the racism dog whistle ? Yeesh. The well must be running dry
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    may just me personally but when a black man from Mississippi talks about growing up black in Mississippi I am struck how different that experience was from mine.

I question the motives of white people denegrating not only that experience but even listening to discussion / explanations of the residual effects of that experience.

why not just shut the **** up and listen ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Glad we now have a thread to.discuss Jan 6
    is that a nerve ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    seems to be a neuralgic point
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    is that a nerve ?
    I worry about the clear dementia signs of old people screaming at the clouds and acting out for more attention.

Sad to watch