Page 43 of 63 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Republican voter suppression...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevilruss View Post
    How hard is it to vote? WTF is wrong with you people? It happens every couple of years. It’s not a journey to Mordor every week to go cast your vote.

Maybe I just don’t live in the Mad Max wasteland you guys live in. Apologies
    You have to understand. People like nsacpi and Julio think minorities, especially black people, aren’t able to tie their own shoes without help. You expect them to be able to wake up in the morning and go vote?

Are you a racist or something?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Voting is easy, I own a car and a truck and not only do I.not have to work 2 jobs or deal with day care
    my living status affords me polling locations (plural) virtually a stones throw away.
    Others, many others, not so much.

So owning a car, having one job and locale access to polling stations prove to be a by design 21st century " poll tax."

This isn't hard, unless of course you are one of
    those going to great lengths to impede voting for targeted groups.

Don't these legislatures have more pressing problems than too many voters?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Didn't Texas just have a massive infrastructure break down ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Didn't Texas just have a massive infrastructure break down ?
    That's why they need this new voting bill.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I think you might be better served to listen to the people who lived through former about their opinions about the latter.
    You just want to hear who repeats your propaganda media talking points. There is a group today of black Americans who don’t subscribe to your poisonous ideology and said that the voter rights bill is not suppression. Can we listen to these black people?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The ones that are a "credit to their race ".????

No one besides defenders of these limitations has mentioned race.
    At least I know I haven't

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    These laws don't exclusively target black Americans. They ultimately will impact anyone who truly struggles to make ends meet- might not have flexible work, a car, or childcare. Just like poll taxes of the last century didn't exclusively target black Americans, these laws will also hurt low-income and rural white voters who may have similar challenges. Obviously, the most profound impact will be on minority communities since they face much higher rates of poverty, which we can all agree is an unfortunate reality.

At the end of the day, Republicans are creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist so they can cut people out of the Democratic process just like the Democratic party did with poll taxes back in the day. Florida is maybe the best example of this- Desantis held a glowing press conference on November 4 to applaud the security of the election, talking about the focus on cybersecurity, the incredible transparency, and about how the turnout should inspire confidence for everyone. Then he realized that the party line was actually going to be to decry the security of the election to pass reforms and he immediately changed his tune.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to McCann'sCans For This Useful Post:

goldfly (05-11-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    These laws don't exclusively target black Americans. They ultimately will impact anyone who truly struggles to make ends meet- might not have flexible work, a car, or childcare. Just like poll taxes of the last century didn't exclusively target black Americans, these laws will also hurt low-income and rural white voters who may have similar challenges. Obviously, the most profound impact will be on minority communities since they face much higher rates of poverty, which we can all agree is an unfortunate reality.

At the end of the day, Republicans are creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist so they can cut people out of the Democratic process just like the Democratic party did with poll taxes back in the day. Florida is maybe the best example of this- Desantis held a glowing press conference on November 4 to applaud the security of the election, talking about the focus on cybersecurity, the incredible transparency, and about how the turnout should inspire confidence for everyone. Then he realized that the party line was actually going to be to decry the security of the election to pass reforms and he immediately changed his tune.
    I guess you missed a small detail of almost 400k votes in GA with no chain of custody records. I know. Minor issues.

Desantis is doing what a great leader does. Don’t wait for problems to happen to fix them. He and the rest of the world saw the cluster****(cheating) that took place in 2020. He is protecting his voters by ensuring that never happens to Florida.

I know it’s hard for you guys to understand that distinction so you default to CULT! Good media lapdogs we have here.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Voting is easy, I own a car and a truck and not only do I.not have to work 2 jobs or deal with day care
    my living status affords me polling locations (plural) virtually a stones throw away.
    Others, many others, not so much.

So owning a car, having one job and locale access to polling stations prove to be a by design 21st century " poll tax."

This isn't hard, unless of course you are one of
    those going to great lengths to impede voting for targeted groups.

Don't these legislatures have more pressing problems than too many voters?
    You are saying many others do not :

Have a mode of transport and are houseborn all day. Like - none at all. Not from church or public transport, or anything. They literally cannot leave, ever.

Not only does this same theoretical person stay in their house like a prison, they work two jobs with no lunch breaks or days off at all.

As if this person isn’t strapped enough, they can’t get 10 miles to a polling place once in more than two weeks. They also have kids at daycare even though they don’t own a car or have access to one at all or have access to public transport in any scenario.

I don’t see any of these as likely.

Also- you bring kids to vote. No need for daycare. It would do them some good seeing people do their civic duty.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 05-11-2021 at 11:42 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (05-11-2021), Jaw (05-11-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    You are saying many others do not :

Have a mode of transport and are houseborn all day. Like - none at all. Not from church or public transport, or anything. They literally cannot leave, ever.

Not only does this same theoretical person stay in their house like a prison, they work two jobs with no lunch breaks or days off at all.

As if this person isn’t strapped enough, they can’t get 10 miles to a polling place once in more than two weeks. They also have kids at daycare even though they don’t own a car or have access to one at all or have access to public transport in any scenario.

I don’t see any of these as likely.

Also- you bring kids to vote. No need for daycare. It would do them some good seeing people do their civic duty.
    These people don’t exist. Just like the video that was posted a few years back asking random blacks people if they had ID or knew where polling places were.

Nobody is as racist as a leftist.

Without thee white mans help they feel minorities are helpless.
    Natural Immunity Croc

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Garmel (05-11-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    By those definitions the ONLY satisfactory scenario that isn’t suppression is the govt sending someone person to person street to street.

Then and only then will people be forced to vote, I mean decide to vote
    Ivermectin Man

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (05-11-2021)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Nobody is as racist as a leftist.
    Hahaha
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    By those definitions the ONLY satisfactory scenario that isn’t suppression is the govt sending someone person to person street to street.

Then and only then will people be forced to vote, I mean decide to vote
    We already have a system in place, by mail !!
    I think you might be onto something

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    We already have a system in place, by mail !!
    I think you might be onto something
    Still do!
    Ivermectin Man

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Incredible how hard it is for some people to accept the reality that some people have worse lives than you and perhaps we should try to help them instead of just assuming they don't exist. They don't have a car, they live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford to miss an hour of work, they live in an area without good public transit or with public transit they can't afford. Yes, these people exist. As with most things, the data here isn't hard to find. You guys just won't trust it because it comes from universities or the government or polling organizations or media companies, all of which are now apparently less trustworthy than brilliant folks like Steve Bannon or Cyber Ninjas.

"All voters, regardless of vote history or frequency, report experiencing barriers to vote, including waiting in long lines and being unable to get off work.

The most common barrier is waiting in line to vote for more than an hour. Those who only vote some of the time were the most likely group to report facing this issue.
    Those who rarely or never vote are more likely than other voters to say they couldn’t get off work to vote, missed the voter registration deadline, and couldn’t find or access their polling place.
    Black and Hispanic voters are also more likely to report standing in line for more than an hour or being unable to get off work."

"The new data support perhaps the worst-case scenario offered by opponents of restrictive voting laws. Nine percent of black respondents and 9 percent of Hispanic respondents indicated that, in the last election, they (or someone in their household) were told that they lacked the proper identification to vote. Just 3 percent of whites said the same. Ten percent of black respondents and 11 percent of Hispanic respondents reported that they were incorrectly told that they weren’t listed on voter rolls, as opposed to 5 percent of white respondents. In all, across just about every issue identified as a common barrier to voting, black and Hispanic respondents were twice as likely, or more, to have experienced those barriers as white respondents.

The numbers suggest not only that policies such as voter-ID requirements and automatic voter purges do, indeed, have strong racial and ethnic biases, but also that there are more subtle barriers for people of color that compound the effects of these laws. Fifteen percent of black respondents and 14 percent of Hispanic respondents said that they had trouble finding polling places on Election Day, versus 5 percent of whites. This finding squares with research indicating that frequent changes to polling-site locations hurt minority voters more. Additionally, more than one in 10 blacks and Hispanics missed the registration deadline to vote in 2016, as opposed to just 3 percent of whites. And black and Hispanic respondents were twice as likely as white respondents to have been unable to get time off of work for voting."

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...the-ballot-box
    https://www.americanbar.org/groups/c...-registration/
    https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...ry-step-2020-6
    https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54240651
    https://www.carnegie.org/topics/topi...rriers-voting/
    https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/news-pol...oter-poll-2020
    https://time.com/5852837/voter-suppr...-just-america/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Maybe the left should find these people that can’t get time off from work for a two week period and can’t vote.

That would be more effective than posting participation rates by race which really don’t say what you think it says. My guess is that it’s incredibly difficult to find someone unable to vote. More likely it’s people that aren’t all that interested in voting.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    don’t say what you think it says.
    The studies are literally telling you how many millions of people can't vote and why, with one of the largest reasons being that they can't get time off from work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Can those people still vote absentee at all?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    The studies are literally telling you how many millions of people can't vote and why, with one of the largest reasons being that they can't get time off from work.
    Luckily voting takes place over weekends and starts early morning till late afternoon.

Any reasonable person is not buying the I can’t get off from work excuse.
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Luckily voting takes place over weekends and starts early morning till late afternoon.

Any reasonable person is not buying the I can’t get off from work excuse.
    There are people who make excuses.

And there are people who figure out how to make it work.

Excuse makers are losers

25. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (05-11-2021)