Page 44 of 63 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Republican voter suppression...

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    So says a bunch of people who clearly have enough job flexibility to post on a message board all day. You'd be shocked to find that not everyone's life looks like yours.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to McCann'sCans For This Useful Post:

goldfly (05-11-2021)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    So says a bunch of people who clearly have enough job flexibility to post on a message board all day. You'd be shocked to find that not everyone's life looks like yours.
    Exactly

The tone deafness of their replies is amazing
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Let’s ignore the weekends.

Let’s ignore the hours each day that more than likely doesn’t one for one overlap with their work hours.

I get it. The left makes endless excuses for minorities because they can’t do anything on their own. It’s cool. Own it.

And yes, I’m damn proud of how hard I worked to go from a single parent immigrant home who drove a black car 16 hours a day. That’s why happens when you work hard and go to school for a real skill.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    You're right. I'm sure all of these people are just lazy and making up lies for why they don't vote. The system itself is flawless except for some overly generous voting hours and voting options, which we should clamp down on to make it harder for the lazies. Congratulations on all of your hard-earned success.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to McCann'sCans For This Useful Post:

goldfly (05-12-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I outlined that exact person on the last page. You can read it and tell me if that’s realistic or not.

The one thing I forgot was they are prohibited from using the mail for some reason or a phone at all. You can add that to the realistic voter illustration
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    The studies are literally telling you how many millions of people can't vote and why, with one of the largest reasons being that they can't get time off from work.
    I didn't mow the lawn a couple of weeks ago. When asked why, I blamed it on work and parenting stuff. If I had really wanted to, I could have mowed the lawn.

It's really easy to casually ask someone if they voted, get a no, ask why not, and get "I couldn't get time off of work" as an answer. I don't think there are really that many people working consecutive 80+ hour work weeks. Incidentally, I used to frequently work 100+ hour work weeks. I still got time off to vote, because it's required by law.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I think it's great turnout was so strong this past election, and wish my GOP friends did not look at this as a source for alarm. We should be looking for ways to build upon the great turnout of 2020 not roll it back.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    A few reminders of the unfortunate GOP phobia regarding high turnouts:

1) In January, a Republican election official said that Georgia needed tougher laws to reduce turnout, “so we at least have a shot at winning.”

2) Asked to justify two Arizona voter restrictions before the Supreme Court in March, the lawyer for the state’s Republican Party responded, simply, that easing them “puts us at a competitive disadvantage relative to Democrats.”

3) And of course very poorly chosen one himself: “They had levels of voting, that if you ever agreed to it you'd never have a Republican elected in this country again."

I really don't concern myself too much about whether a baseball discussion board poster wants to depress turnout for "idiots" or "low information voters." It does concern me that one of the major parties thinks it is a good thing to do so.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The one consolation (and it is not really a consolation) is that sometimes this venality is tempered by incompetence. Such as Florida requiring people to request a mail in ballot every two years rather than every four years, something that could well end up hurting Republicans.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Yeah I’m sure it will be devastating to turn out
    Ivermectin Man

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-13-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Dark Money Group Brags About Writing GOP Voter Suppression Bills Across the Country

“We did it quickly and we did it quietly,” said the executive director of Heritage Action.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...pression-laws/
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Oh no! Author of bill is proud of it

More news at 11.
    Ivermectin Man

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    At least the founder of Heritage Foundation is willing to say the quiet part out loud.

“I don’t want everybody to vote,” he said. “Elections are not won by a majority of the people. They never have been from the beginning of our country and they are not now. As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down.”

17. The Following User Says Thank You to McCann'sCans For This Useful Post:

goldfly (05-14-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    At least the founder of Heritage Foundation is willing to say the quiet part out loud.

“I don’t want everybody to vote,” he said. “Elections are not won by a majority of the people. They never have been from the beginning of our country and they are not now. As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down.”
    He's not the only one. See post 868.

The Georgia thing blowing up has likely deterred other states from passing much more blatant measures. But they are going to keep trying to chip away.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-14-2021 at 10:35 AM.

"I am your retribution."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

McCann'sCans (05-14-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Democrats never redistrict to their advantage when they have power.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I’m shocked that an anti democracy guy would have that type of reply to the guy saying the quite part out loud