Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Obesity Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts

The Obesity Thread

With the Covid thread taking a turn towards this topic, I figured I'd start it's own thread to keep things from going too far into the weeds on the Covid thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Tonight I exercised great self control and went with a single rather than double cheeseburger and skipped the fries and milkshake. This makes me a paragon of virtue no matter what some people around here might think.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Tonight I exercised great self control and went with a single rather than double cheeseburger and skipped the fries and milkshake. This makes me a paragon of virtue no matter what some people around here might think.
    Sissy. You wouldn't last a day in Mississippi

Haha

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I’m actually working on getting less fat myself. I started on the 1st at 276.2 pounds and am starting a treadmill routine and intermittent fasting. Weighed in today at 269.4 and have done about 17 miles on the treadmill this week.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (03-06-2021)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I’m actually working on getting less fat myself. I started on the 1st at 276.2 pounds and am starting a treadmill routine and intermittent fasting. Weighed in today at 269.4 and have done about 17 miles on the treadmill this week.
    Awesome! Keep going even if progress seems to plateau a bit.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

mqt (03-06-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Take pictures. It may seem vein but that’s how you really see all the good work you’re doing.
    Natural Immunity Croc

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

mqt (03-06-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    @mgt Every small victory helps... most of it is small mental wins over and over....you got this

Just keep the momentum going
    Ivermectin Man

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

mqt (03-06-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,292 Posts
    Im a Fatty. Is what is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    Im a Fatty. Is what is
    Only if you say it is. Not a single thing you cannot change at this point if you want it
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    I think what tainted the Rona thread was feeling attacked. Let’s avoid that if possible, BUT the best form of accountability is owning that ****. Own all of it. Your faults, your weaknesses, when you let yourself get too comfortable....

Bringing up random diseases and metal health isn’t what we are talking about here.

Almost 40% of adults age 20 and over are obese.

Kids are facing an obesity rate way higher than they should.

I’m sure this goes off BMI which is a total crock of it but the point of it is to ID those that need improvement

Fast food options have improved and access to knowledge and athletic facilities has likely never been higher.

I walked in to a docs office at 5’10 233.

He recommended meds- I refused them and got to work. It was a total wake up call that at 31 I was gonna need BP meds.

My wife and I have spent our spare time training folks at our CF gym and garage. The mental game is the biggest hurdle to get through. You can tell right off the bat if someone is gonna stick or not but the other part has some that grow the mental game to do it.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 03-06-2021 at 08:11 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (03-06-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Start by eating one or two less bites than you normally would and just walk for 30 minutes a day.

You’ll lose 5-10 pounds in a month and more importantly in a permanent healthy way.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Start by eating one or two less bites than you normally would and just walk for 30 minutes a day.

You’ll lose 5-10 pounds in a month and more importantly in a permanent healthy way.
    That’s not really quantifiable but yes something is better than nothing.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I believe that when you’re far gone ok the health spectrum that you need to make slow steps to prepare your body for a more active lifestyle.

I’m clearly not as experienced as you are with helping people change their lives but I have been on and off working out/running for 20 years so I have some idea what works for me at least.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    As a PSA: older people who are slightly overweight live longer.

Here is a link to one of many studies that show this:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...n%20the%20case.

This applies mainly to older people (over 60). In effect, being slightly overweight gives people a reserve that improves their chances of surviving a health crisis, which is often accompanied by significant weight loss.

Bottom line: Under 60 skinny is better, over 60 slightly overweight is better. Bon appetit and all that jazz.

Other words of wisdom for y'all to ponder: quality of life matters more than quantity. Or as I like to put it: I live to eat, not the other way around. Of course, it should go without saying that moderation and balance are great virtues. In virtually all things (I think Barry Goldwater would agree).
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-06-2021 at 09:26 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Slightly overweight is fine. It’s not ideal but we are talking about obesity, at least I am.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Don't forget to drink lots of water, not all at once mind you, but a 16-20 ounce glass at least 4 or 5 times a day. Cut out sweets, limit caffeine and alcohol and eat lean meats and veggies. I've been on a modified keto diet for over a year. I've lost around 30-35 pounds (most of it in the first 6 months). I've kept most of it off and feel way better at least most of the time. When you cut out most of your carbs you tend to lose the "carb overloads" that used to plague me probably even more than the extra weight. My wife lost around 55-60 pounds last year doing the Optivia diet stuff. It used to be called Medifast. It uses multiple small fuelings during the course of the day, lots of water and then a lean meat/veggies dinner. She had gained because of having 2 kids, job stress, cryptogenic Cirrhosis she developed during childhood/adolescence (they don't know what caused it though we have a pretty good idea). She also had a really bad broken leg about 3 years ago that caused to gain some. Losing the weight has caused her to feel so much better. Just a few ideas. I hope they help anyone who chooses to try them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Don't forget to drink lots of water, not all at once mind you, but a 16-20 ounce glass at least 4 or 5 times a day. Cut out sweets, limit caffeine and alcohol and eat lean meats and veggies. I've been on a modified keto diet for over a year. I've lost around 30-35 pounds (most of it in the first 6 months). I've kept most of it off and feel way better at least most of the time. When you cut out most of your carbs you tend to lose the "carb overloads" that used to plague me probably even more than the extra weight. My wife lost around 55-60 pounds last year doing the Optivia diet stuff. It used to be called Medifast. It uses multiple small fuelings during the course of the day, lots of water and then a lean meat/veggies dinner. She had gained because of having 2 kids, job stress, cryptogenic Cirrhosis she developed during childhood/adolescence (they don't know what caused it though we have a pretty good idea). She also had a really bad broken leg about 3 years ago that caused to gain some. Losing the weight has caused her to feel so much better. Just a few ideas. I hope they help anyone who chooses to try them.
    One thing about Medifast and their products... chock full of sodium.

Sodium in soft drinks is insane as well. Just cutting out sweet teas and soft drinks cuts out a TON of empty calories
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Had to keep up with one of the young studs at the gym today in a partner workout. My hands are tore up, I’m sore as hell, and I’m gonna need a nap, but damn I feel accomplished. Workout was brutal, but I got better keeping up with him. Checked that box today!
    Ivermectin Man

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

thethe (03-06-2021)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    This is the stupidity we are up against

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    This is the stupidity we are up against

It’s flat out dangerous to have a narrative like this and people just go with it because feelings are more important than science.
    Natural Immunity Croc