Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Obesity Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Actually if that person measures their current intake reduced their fats, their carbs, and upped their proteins they would probably slim out fine.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Actually if that person measures their current intake reduced their fats, their carbs, and upped their proteins they would probably slim out fine.
    If you run a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight. That's just physics. It's also the only real way to lose weight. However, what it takes to get into a caloric deficit can vary from person to person. Genetics can affect things like metabolism or muscle mass. You can have two people that weigh the same, put them on the same number of calories, put them on the same exercise program, and one might lose 3 pounds a week and the other lose only half a pound a week.

It's not as simple as just measuring some macro-nutrients and everyone will see the weight come off. Everyone can achieve that caloric deficit and lose weight. Genetics don't prevent you. They do make it far easier for some to lose weight than others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    If you run a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight. That's just physics. It's also the only real way to lose weight. However, what it takes to get into a caloric deficit can vary from person to person. Genetics can affect things like metabolism or muscle mass. You can have two people that weigh the same, put them on the same number of calories, put them on the same exercise program, and one might lose 3 pounds a week and the other lose only half a pound a week.

It's not as simple as just measuring some macro-nutrients and everyone will see the weight come off. Everyone can achieve that caloric deficit and lose weight. Genetics don't prevent you. They do make it far easier for some to lose weight than others.
    The only thing that may differ is time domains. The outcome is still the same.

Yes life is not fair, but to act like it doesn’t work is BS
    Ivermectin Man

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

thethe (08-10-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    The only thing that may differ is time domains. The outcome is still the same.

Yes life is not fair, but to act like it doesn’t work is BS
    It works, I'm just saying that it is significantly harder for some people than others. Acting as if genetics is irrelevant is every bit as incorrect as acting as if genetics makes weight loss impossible.

I think too many people act as if everyone can have the same weight loss results by following the same steps and it's more complex than that. All that misconception does is cause people to get discouraged when they eat well, work out and only see modest weight loss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Jesus.

You are right man. Two people won’t lose weight the same as types of diet and exercise differ As does body comp. I’m not sure anyone is arguing with you.

But you know what they will do? Still lose weight. Still be healthier. Those are wins
    Ivermectin Man

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

thethe (08-12-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    If you run a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight. That's just physics. It's also the only real way to lose weight.
    It's hard to maintain a caloric deficit day after day and your metabolism will slow down in order to maintain stasis.

You've got to cut way down on processed foods and sugar. That's just a given for basic health. Then you need to learn how to fast and exercise more, again as much for basic health as losing weight.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Fasting is not a prerequisite for losing weight.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Fasting is not a prerequisite for losing weight.
    I didn't imply that it was. But it's an ancient, time-tested way and it has worked wonders for me.

Do you want to feel like you are on steroids or some super energy supplement? Try fasting.
    Do you want to increase your testosterone naturally and your HGH production over 300%? Try fasting.
    Build muscle easier? How about improve mental clarity? Reduce inflammation? Clean up and clean out your body at the cellular level, aka autophagy?
    Get rid of your gut and fit into all your old clothes again? Save money? Stop feeling bloated and sluggish every time you eat? There is a very easy way. Stop eating so much and so often.

Fasting is not about starving yourself. Once you get off carbs/processed foods and stabilize your insulin, a prolonged fast will force your body to burn fat for energy. Being "fat-adapted" your insulin levels will normalize and hunger pangs will go away. You will likely feel better than you have in years.

Fasting isn't a part of so many cultures and religions for no reason. It's the normal and optimal way humans have eaten and maintained health over the millennia. Still, it takes a bit of self control and determination to get over the hump of the modern diet and its accompanying dopamine addiction. Of course, ymmv.
    Last edited by Runnin; 08-16-2022 at 08:05 PM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I didn't mean to imply that it was. But it's an ancient, time-tested way and it has worked wonders for me.

Do you want to feel like you are on steroids or some super energy supplement? Try fasting.
    Do you want to increase your testosterone naturally and your HGH production over 300%? Try fasting.
    Build muscle easier? How about improve mental clarity? Reduce inflammation? Clean up and clean out your body at the cellular level, aka autophagy?
    Get rid of your gut and fit into all your old clothes again? Save money? Stop feeling bloated and sluggish every time you eat? There is a very easy way. Stop eating so much and so often.

Fasting is not about starving yourself. Once you get off carbs/processed foods and stabilize your insulin, a prolonged fast will force your body to burn fat for energy. Being "fat-adapted" your insulin levels will normalize and hunger pangs will go away. You will likely feel better than you have in years.

Fasting isn't a part of so many cultures and religions for no reason. It's the normal and optimal way humans have eaten and maintained health over the millennia. Still, it takes a bit of self control and determination to get over the hump of the modern diet and its accompanying dopamine addiction. Of course, ymmv.
    What's your recommendation on time between eating?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    What's your recommendation on time between eating?
    I don't think there is one. That's not the way our species has eaten. Eating habits probably changed with the seasons. Now, all the food we desire is available to us all year long. Fasting time is a personal thing and all depends on where you are on your own timeline. Just listen to your body and do what you can.

I'd say a complete newbie should first master 3 squares a day, low carb and NO snacking. That alone would be a huge step in the right directions and prompt weight loss for most. It takes a few weeks to get off carbs and sugar. A little ice cream or snacking once a week is fine. Then get to where you can skip a meal every other day or so, starting with breakfast, the least important meal of the day, unlike what we've been taught. If that works for you, then try and go longer. Autophagy and the energy spikes take a few days to appear. If you get into ketosis, you'll know it.

If you add some exercise during your fasts and you're in ketosis, you'll burn more fat than you ever thought possible. No matter how much "extra weight" you have, it's the visceral fat that's hurting you. Takes a while to get to that, but you can do it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

57Brave (08-13-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts
    It's actually climate change, y'all

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (08-14-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Lol
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    It's hard to maintain a caloric deficit day after day and your metabolism will slow down in order to maintain stasis.

You've got to cut way down on processed foods and sugar. That's just a given for basic health. Then you need to learn how to fast and exercise more, again as much for basic health as losing weight.
    A caloric deficit is the only way to lose weight. The issue is how do you maintain that caloric deficit. You're right that just cutting down on what you eat will eventually lead to you leveling out as your body adjusts. It wasn't what I was suggesting though. You have to do things to keep your metabolism up and so ensure you're burning more calories than you eat.

I agree with the benefits of fasting. Intermittent fasting has been great for me. I stop eating about 9 PM and fast until 1 PM. I'm not much of a breakfast person so it works really well for me. There are health benefits that go beyond weight loss (insulin sensitivity for instance).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Runnin (08-16-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    I've finally found a system that works for me. Intermittent fasting from late evening all through the next morning. Go to the gym at noon or 1. Drink a protein shake for lunch. Have a reasonably portioned dinner of whatever I want.

I'm down 25 pounds from my heaviest. Got 20 more to go until I hit my goal weight.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (09-19-2022), Tapate50 (09-18-2022), thewupk (12-18-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Get to a place where you can add back a reasonable meal and I’d say you are good.

You are probably WAY under proteined.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Get to a place where you can add back a reasonable meal and I’d say you are good.

You are probably WAY under proteined.
    I have no doubt. My plan is to add in another reasonable meal when I get to my goal weight for maintenance. Gonna stick with the fasting though. I don't like eating breakfast anyway so it really fits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    I believe the population has hit 40% obesity rate
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I believe the population has hit 40% obesity rate
    No compromising risk factors with obesity so I think we are ok right?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts
    If I could bet on this, I'd bet that this person does not vote for democrats