Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MCU Thread (Spoilers inside)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts

MCU Thread (Spoilers inside)

Rather than continue to clutter the movie thread figured this could cover the movies and shows.

First episode of Falcon and the Winter soldier is heavy as ****. Bucky's arc was freaking heavy. Falcons' family life was heavy. The're strarting out strong, introduced all the antagonists (well except for Zemo the main antagonist) set up tension, etc. Quality first episode.

They basically said this would be a pretty straight forward arc. I'm interested in seeing the overall story, it's looking like a bit grittier marvel film. Perhaps a blending of the old Netflix Marvel universe and MCU.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Good first episode. A little bummed it's only going to be 6 episodes. I'm wondering how much time has passed since Endgame. With one of the main antagonist being someone who is powered, I wonder if this is where they start introducing mutants? I think it's been pretty much confirmed mutants will be discussed in the Eternals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Yeah, I think the question is will they all be this long. It will basically be 2 full Marvel Movies.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Also I guess I missed it, but apparently it's been at least 6 months since Endgame. Sam mentioned that when he was fixing guys drone at the table.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Second Episode raised the stakes. Set the adventure going forward and introduced Zemo finally. Loved the Black Captain America, it is probably was what Sam needed to hear to start the idea that he could be Captain America.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Watched Endgame again yesterday. And then watched the Director's Round Table afterwards. And really looking back at it, I don't know if it was directly the Russo's or Marvel/Disney willing to work with other directors that lead to the huge change in the films.

But look back at early films and the later films and you can basically see when things took off.

Iron Man (Favreau)
    Hulk (letterier)
    Iron Man 2 (Favreau)
    Thor (Branagh)
    Captain America (Johnston)
    Avengers (Whedon)
    Iron Man 3 (Black)

Now here's the break. Look at that list of directors, it's mostly underwhelming and the non-big names are mainly action movie guys. Which is why I think they had kind of a Transformers like feel (Iron Man 3 for example)

Winter Soldier (Russo bros)
    Guardians (gunn)
    Ultron (Whedon)
    Antman (Reed)
    Civil War (Russo Bros)
    Doctor Strange (Derrickson)
    Guardians 2 (Gunn)
    Spideman (Watts)
    Ragnorok (Waititi)
    Black Panther (Coogler)

Now compare the 2, while still many not well knowns were brought in their backgrounds were starkly different than the majority of early directors. Russos were known for their work on Comedies, shows like Arrested Development, Community, and You Me and Dupree. They obviously had skills at action set pieces but they brought the comedy and heart from sitcoms to the MCU. Gunn was into black comedy and horror directing films like Super and Slither and writing films like Scooby Doo and the Dawn of the Dead remake. Reed spent a lot of time in Comedy but more specifically Rom-Coms directing films likeBring it on and The Break Up. Derrickson a lot of time in Horror and Sci-Fi Exorcism of Emily Rose, Sinister, the Day the Earth Stood Still. Watts worked in horror and action and comedy before hand but his catalogue is a bit more bare than some of the others. Taika was all over the place, doing romcoms, dramedies, and a horror mockumentary. Coogler had done 2 films before Black Pander, Fruitvale Station and Creed. So he brought some heavy drama chops.

And again, I don't know if this was a conscious choice by Marvel/Disney to try somthing else or if after the success of Winter Soldier and GotG they decided to specifically avoid action directors and go with more drama/comedy guys and gals. And this continued too. Boden and Fleck, huge drama chops, Shortland, Drama and horror, Cretton big drama background, Zhao huge drama chops, Raimi huge horror chops, he of course did other things (spiderman and oz) , but horror is what he did the most, and DaCosta, Horror and drama.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Episode 3 was very good, and man does it look like Sharon Carter is the power broker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Episode 4 was even better. Maybe the best yet. The last shot of the episode is chilling and certainly the shot of the season.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Carp (04-13-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Episode 4 definitely was what I was hoping this series would be. Was almost more like a MCU film than a TV show.

Sharon Carter isn't the power broker, imo. I do think it could be the Mandarin, since Fiege stated a few years ago that the Mandarin and the Ten Rings would be part of the MCU future. And with Shang Chi and the Legend of the 10 Ring due out later this year, this series could help set that up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Sharon Carter being the power broker is my Mephisto hill I'm willing to die on haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    FInale setup so well. Also Sharon Carter is definitely the Power Broker. I thought for a second it may have been Julia Louis-Dreyfuss's character, but I'm sticking to my guns, especially with her hiring Batroc again. Looking forward to the interesting 3+ way battle as I'm sure Walker will be pissed that Wilson is Captain America, but also definitely wants to kill Carli, Sam and Bucky will be playing a lot of defense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Called it! Even before it was most obvious (last episode)

I think the finale did a fantastic job in all aspects. It was probably a little rushed for my liking. I would have loved to have seen a more protracted fight. But it was great seeing both the redemption arc of John Walker and the full growth of Sam Wilson. I need more JLD Madame Hydra. But man that ending. It hit so hard. Bucky finally apologizing. Sam's final speech. So nice. But damn that monument to Isaiah Bradley, that was an emotional bulldozer. That credits scene was wild too. Setting up more hydra/shield type of stuff but even more complex.

Also yes for Captain Falcon joke. I was with Matpat and wanted a Falcon Punch/Falcon Kick Joke.

Series was so good. It hit all the notes I felt like it needed to hit to make Sam and Bucky the team they needed to be. I thought Wandavision was great, and it was, but this was so much better. The only weak spot was that no one was a truly powerful villain, but that was the point, there isn't one villain. The world can be a little more complex. And it's more about the heroes than the villains.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    I know they said they were gonna do it before the series came out. And I get it. But man, that episode was super preachy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    The drop at the end of Hawkeye Episode 5 is the best moment of any MCU TV show.

The tease for the Kingpin is amazing. And it hints at what I've wanted, selectively bringing in Netflix MCU characters.

Here's what I want if that's what happens.

1. Charlie Cox as Daredevil - Essentially a must.
    2. Jon Bernthal as Punisher - Would love an R rated Punisher movie. Or adult TV show.
    3. Deborah Ann Woll as Karen Page - She was so good as the glue of both Punisher and Daredevil.
    4. Krysten Ritter as Jessica Jones - She nailed that role. Would love it as a bit part.
    5. Mike Colter as Luke Cage - Loved his role. Similar to Jessica Jones I think she'd be a rock solid bit part
    6. Jessica Henwick as Coleen Wing - The best part of Iron Fist.
    7. Rosario Dawson as Claire Temple - So good, another great potential bit character.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Daredevil was perfect. Hard to change anything there. Jessica Jones likewise was really good.

I was never impressed with the Luke Cage series. I actually thought the villains in the series were way better than Mike Colter. Ditto for, Iron Fist which was just pretty bad all around. Hope they just start over from scratch for those 2 characters, or just leave them out of the MCU altogether.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I think they could leave them out. Luke Cage had a power creep problem. I do sort of agree on villains, at least in season 1, but that was because they started with a bang with Mahershala and Alfre. I think it was a good show but Luke Cage seemed kind of too good. THough I like how season 2 ended and thought it would lead to an interesting future where Cage would likely clash with Iron Fist, Daredevil and Jessica Jones. And were robbed also of a show with Misty Stone and Colleen Wing.

Iron Fist I think was largely replaced by Shang Chi for quite some time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I wasn't super happy with the last episode overall. Though I don't think Kingpin is dead. If he is I'd be sad. Because only that's the best MCU villain aside from Killmonger.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Supposedly the way it ended with Kingpin is exactly the way one of the story arcs went down in the comics. Echo shot him in the face but he isn't dead, just completely blind. His last line about '"seeing eye to eye" seems to be a nod to this.

Based on him surviving the arrow to the chest and the explosion, it seems somewhat likely he has taken some sort of super soldier serum.
    Last edited by Carp; 12-28-2021 at 07:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Thor Love and Thunder teaser is so good. Lots of good teases but it keeps the villain under wraps it seems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    it looks....odd.
    Ivermectin Man