Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: No All Star Game in Atlanta This Season?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Thread moved to the political forum, as that is what it has devolved into.

This is now the only thread I’ve ever posted in, in said political forum. I hope you guys appreciate that you are participants of history.
    A good excuse for me to leave, since I don't post in said political forum anymore. I hope you guys appreciate that I've now broken a blood-oath to a Chekhovian wood-goblin by inadvertently posting in said political forum.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    I’ve just been reminded why I really dislike politics and political discussions
    Me too. It definitely shines light though on who people truly are. For that, I"m grateful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I do think it's worth debating whether this is an effective strategy of resistance—a much more interesting topic of discussion to me, honestly.

I think the fact that MLB capitulated so swiftly to the MLBPA on this lends credence to PawPawMaxwell's suggestion that both sides have at least one eye on the next CBA, and the PR battle that will coincide with negotiations thereof.
    I really don't think it's an effective form of resistance. I think it just furthers the radicalization of politics. It's The Untouchables. They draw a knife you draw a gun, they send one of yours to the hospital you send one of theirs to the morgue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I don't think anyone has ill intent, just different perspectives.
    Hard disagree. There are posters who look at this through the prism of an outcome they didn't like. For them participatory democracy takes a back seat to too many "commies" and "low information voters" coming out to vote.

As for the crafters of the legislation, their intent in many cases was similarly evil. The fact that some adults improved the final product doesn't change that. The motivation was finding a way to get an outcome they will like better in the next election.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-02-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Election laws were changed unconstitutionally by the state executive branch.
    Looking forward to seeing this adjudicated. Saying so don't make it so. Even saying so twenty times.

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (04-02-2021), jpx7 (04-02-2021)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Hard disagree. There are posters who look at this through the prism of an outcome they didn't like. For them participatory democracy takes a back seat to too many "commies" and "low information voters" coming out to vote.

As for the crafters of the legislation, their intent in many cases was similarly evil. The fact that some adults improved the final product doesn't change that. The motivation was finding a way to get an outcome they will like better in the next election.
    Spot on! I especially liked the "low information" description.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    I’ve just been reminded why I really dislike politics and political discussions
    Or Enscunt...the fckn butt plug that guy is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    MLB has just drawn a target on its back in Washington. MLB only exists because of anti trust exemption and they just gave the middle finger to one side in washington for no real gain.

Next time Republicans come to power you might see MLB's exemption being discussed. It might happen before that as some on the left would take it away at any time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Spot on! I especially liked the "low information" description.
    The left wing media has been exposed on countless occasions. The amount of hair in fire stories that ended up being the exact opposite are too many to count.

So while you may see the term low information as some sort of race comment the rest of see it as a commentary on the progressive ideological believer.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Looking forward to seeing this adjudicated. Saying so don't make it so. Even saying so twenty times.
    In what way could it can be construed that laws should be written by the executive branch at any level of government?
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Illinois, or at least Cook County, or at least Chicago, may have improved access to SNAP and similar benefits in recent years—I haven't lived there in seven years, and my second-hand experience came via under-employed friends who had the misfortune of graduating college into the workforce circa the 2008–10 economic crisis. At that time, such services weren't very digitized, there simply wasn't the infrastructure to meet the number of applicants, and you had to essentially show up at an office miles away from where most people lived (a big deal in the city, where a lot of people don't drive) and queue up a few hours before the office even opened, on the prayer you would actually be seen. Needless to say, this often necessitated taking a day off from work, without even knowing your case would be handled—something obviously not possible for a lot of people. The actual qualifications thresholds, however, weren't that onerous—there just wasn't the infrastructure, and I suspect that was a downstate issue versus a municipal issue, since SNAP was state-administered and there's always some friction between Springfield and Chicago.

In Montana, the eligibility requirements are in fact pretty onerous, and do feel like they're designed "to find reasons to make people ineligible".
    Again, I'm sure each state is different, and while I live like 15 min from GA, I can only speak for my experience in TN.

That being said, there are absolutely issues. No system is perfect. My experience definitely changed my stance on this certain political issues. But I didn't find access to these benefits was prohibitive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    In what way could it can be construed that laws should be written by the executive branch at any level of government?
    you can check out the case law on the amount of discretion the executive branch has in writing up the administrative details that implement legislation...there is often a fair amount of discretion granted...and if a novel situation comes up (such as a pandemic) that discretion comes into play

but now is the time for a candidate in an upcoming election to file suit...the courts will not entertain a lawsuit after the candidate determines he or she doesn't like the outcome

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    If it's right for businesses to punish Georgia for this, why stop here? Walmart and Target should stop shipping goods to Georgia and so deny necessary goods. Oil companies should stop shipping gas to Georgia. Pharmaceutical corporations should stop shipping meds to Georgia. Grocery stores should stop selling food to Georgians.

Let's see if rampant starvation, deaths from lack of meds, and the lack of basic goods breaks Georgia.

This would be taking a strong stance against the law.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    MLB has just drawn a target on its back in Washington. MLB only exists because of anti trust exemption and they just gave the middle finger to one side in washington for no real gain.

Next time Republicans come to power you might see MLB's exemption being discussed. It might happen before that as some on the left would take it away at any time.
    Would be somewhat funny for Republicans to enact a leftist policy-goal to "own" MLB for "siding with the libs".
    Last edited by jpx7; 04-02-2021 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Would be somewhat funny for Republicans to enact a leftist policy-goal to "own" MLB for "siding with the libs".
    I'd love it. Ive been wanting MLB to collapse for a while now. The organization is a joke that is only marginally a competition.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (04-02-2021)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Governor of GA weighs in

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Yeah Milwaukee won't work either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    If it's right for businesses to punish Georgia for this, why stop here? Walmart and Target should stop shipping goods to Georgia and so deny necessary goods. Oil companies should stop shipping gas to Georgia. Pharmaceutical corporations should stop shipping meds to Georgia. Grocery stores should stop selling food to Georgians.

Let's see if rampant starvation, deaths from lack of meds, and the lack of basic goods breaks Georgia.

there is an old-fashioned word that isn't used anymore...ostracism...it has been replaced by the term cancel culture...but i like ostracism better...no one is trying to starve anyone...but polite society is within its rights to draw some lines...and ostracism is a way of doing that...i say this as someone who believes this situation in Georgia is NOT the right one to be drawing lines

"I am your retribution."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-02-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    there is an old-fashioned word that isn't used anymore...ostracism...it has been replaced by the term cancel culture...but i like ostracism better...no one is trying to starve anyone...but polite society is within its rights to draw some lines...and ostracism is a way of doing that...i say this as someone who believes this situation in Georgia is NOT the right one to be drawing lines
    Sounds too much like ostrichism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

You joke, but reports are now indicating that it was MLB's corporate sponsors, and not pressure from MLBPA (as was assumed), that convinced MLB to move the ASG. So more businesses than simply MLB object to what's going on in Georgia (or, at least, want to look like they object).

I'd be interested to read, however, what you think is the appropriate vehicle is for preventing businesses from engaging in this kind of political activity—the "right [...] to punish" a jurisdiction (Georgia, in this case) by revocation of economic activity.

I'm not imputing anything to you, specifically—but I know many on the conservative side cheered the Citizens United decision that gave corporate entities way more latitude to act like private individuals and/or directly engage in political activity. In recent years, it seems folks of that same persuasion haven't been happy with the political causes many corporations have ended up supporting—driven, I don't doubt, more by market realities than moral integrity; but nonetheless, it has happened. Maybe some of us on the left were right to not want that cat let back out of its bag, even if we've seen the superfluity of SuperPACs balanced, as it were, by Nike pretending to be woke now.
    Last edited by jpx7; 04-02-2021 at 07:59 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (04-02-2021)