Thread: Around the League - 2021 Szn

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    Marte for Pache and AJax?
    Thought this was too much and then looked at his contract and it might not be enough. Might need to throw a pitcher their way too.
    Coppy

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Thought this was too much and then looked at his contract and it might not be enough. Might need to throw a pitcher their way too.
    I’d be willing to throw Webb in there if that’s what it takes to push this deal across the finish line.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I’d be willing to throw Webb in there if that’s what it takes to push this deal across the finish line.
    All three guys carry 40 man roster spots. I doubt a rebuilding minded team wants guys who already accruing service time.
    Coppy

Prosecutor of the
    International Criminal Court

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Really does feel like the most Mets thing to give out a $340mm contract and have Lidor rock a 600 ops two months in. Honest question - are you definitively taking Lidor for next 5 years over Albies? I'm sure the answer is probably yes but you have to at least ask the question...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah. He's still going to get 500/3000 but it's taking a lot longer than I thought. He's been terrible/hurt for 5 years now
    Yet another cautionary tale about signing bat only players into their late 30s.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-23-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    You mean you’d be willing to throw in a marginal castoff piece? Trade proposals by fan bases are funny haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You mean you’d be willing to throw in a marginal castoff piece? Trade proposals by fan bases are funny haha.
    Pretty sure you missed the joke

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Pretty sure you missed the joke
    These guys were not joking.

They have no idea Marte is one of the top 10-15 assets in the game. In fact, they just learned about his contract status during this discussion.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-23-2021)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    I know about Marte. I’m still valuing Pache as one of the top prospects in the game but that could be my mistake. Maybe he’s valued as a trash MLB player. The rest was just some filler.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJonesATL View Post
    Really does feel like the most Mets thing to give out a $340mm contract and have Lidor rock a 600 ops two months in. Honest question - are you definitively taking Lidor for next 5 years over Albies? I'm sure the answer is probably yes but you have to at least ask the question...
    Given the contracts, I’m taking Albies.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Given the contracts, I’m taking Albies.
    Ozzie through age 30 for $7M per is just so damned good. That’s why ownership needs to get it in gear and spend money to address our weaknesses, because we have two core guys on absurdly team-friendly contracts.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-24-2021), jpx7 (05-23-2021), Mrs. Meta (05-24-2021)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Ozzie through age 30 for $7M per is just so damned good. That’s why ownership needs to get it in gear and spend money to address our weaknesses, because we have two core guys on absurdly team-friendly contracts.
    Ozzie and Acuna might have the two best contracts in the sport. No reason for AA to be cheap with them on those deals like that.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJonesATL View Post
    With the contract situation for both players it's easily Albies no questions asked. Even from a talent standpoint it's not as far off as one might think.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-23-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Saw a recent article on Gregory Polanco and it got me thinking he might be a nice bench option if Pitt will pick up enough of his remaining salary. Could be a guy that we could fix. Pretty obvious Pitt has one of the worst development systems in the league. At the very least, he would be a decent LH bat off the bench with some pop.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Saw a recent article on Gregory Polanco and it got me thinking he might be a nice bench option if Pitt will pick up enough of his remaining salary. Could be a guy that we could fix. Pretty obvious Pitt has one of the worst development systems in the league. At the very least, he would be a decent LH bat off the bench with some pop.
    I thought about him as a possible option last off-season. I thought the Pirates might be in the mood to give him away. Problem is, he's owed $27 MM combined for '22 and '23. He really looked like he might be somebody when he first hit the bigs, but he's hit a wall and playing in Pittsburgh has to be one of the most soul-sucking experiences a major league baseball player can endure right now. What a ridiculously bad front office.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (05-24-2021)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I thought about him as a possible option last off-season. I thought the Pirates might be in the mood to give him away. Problem is, he's owed $27 MM combined for '22 and '23. He really looked like he might be somebody when he first hit the bigs, but he's hit a wall and playing in Pittsburgh has to be one of the most soul-sucking experiences a major league baseball player can endure right now. What a ridiculously bad front office.
    Nice stadium, though.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    My dad is a huge Pirates fan. Went to visit them a couple weeks ago and watched a game with him. It's obvious Polanco's approach is awful. I usually put the onus on the player to get results, but it was easy to see he had no idea what to do at the plate on several of the appearances I saw. He's not being coached. I don't watch any other team but the Braves usually, so this was weird to see (and made me appreciate Seitzer).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I'm starting to see this narrative more and more. I hope it gains some traction since I'm always ranting about it.

1:04
    Otto: What can MLB do t make the game more appealing to younger audiences? I saw a study somewhere that said the average TV viewer is 58. Is that on MLB or the Tv broadcast?
    1:04
    Kevin Goldstein: A. Market their young stars. B. Quit having national broadcasts filled with old school guys complaining about baseball for three-plus hours. It’s infuriating.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-24-2021), salmagundy (05-24-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I thought I read where he had a $3 million buyout after this season?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Center field is probably the lineup spot where we need an upgrade, but Imreally don’t know how to value pache. a full year in the minors last year would have really helped with that.