Page 35 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the League - 2021 Szn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The problem with those who scream that AA held on to certain prospects too long is that they're EXACTLY the same people who would have been the first ones to scream bloody murder if he'd have traded them and they became successful somewhere else (myself included).

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways - a lot of the same people screaming about Pache, Waters, and Wright now would also be the first to criticize him if he'd have traded them before or by now.

You don't get cheap regulars/rotation pieces if you trade them when they first struggle - how many of us have been trying to trade Riley for three years???
    I wasn’t trying to have it both ways. Certain players like Camargo, Waters, and Wright should have all been traded at their value peaks considering their peripherals (sadly, for Wright, he was most valuable the day he was drafted). Many on here saw much of those guys success as a mirage and it was widely stated on here often.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    It's been half a season. Pretty hilarious that people have already given up on some of these guys.

It's fair to assume Waters may have some lingering issues from his injury earlier in the year. He's still getting on base at a high rate thanks to a much improved walk rate. It's also possible he and Pache both are working on something specifically with their swing or approach and the FO doesn't care about the results right now.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Cabrera with 4 hits and a homer last night. Pushes him to 494 and 2919 for his career. Decent chance he gets to both 500 and 3000 this year. Also staring down 1500 runs and 1800 rbi

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    MLB scored over 200 runs yesterday for the first time since 2009. And that was without the Dodgers and Giants playing.

It's been right over two weeks since the official memo from MLB about stick stuff came out

Before that came out the league was hitting .238 with a 24% K rate and 711 OPS. Since then (June 15th) teams are hitting .246 with a 23.1% K rate and 739 OPS.

Will be interesting to follow this the rest of the season to see if these two weeks are just noise or offense improvement holds up.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The problem with those who scream that AA held on to certain prospects too long is that they're EXACTLY the same people who would have been the first ones to scream bloody murder if he'd have traded them and they became successful somewhere else (myself included).

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways - a lot of the same people screaming about Pache, Waters, and Wright now would also be the first to criticize him if he'd have traded them before or by now.

You don't get cheap regulars/rotation pieces if you trade them when they first struggle - how many of us have been trying to trade Riley for three years???
    I have an odd take on this in that I think the team got better faster than most fans expected. That, along with the international signing restrictions, put the team in an odd position in that it needed parts for the major league team and it didn't have a deep well of prospect resources to move for significant upgrades. At the same time, a team--especially a mid-market team--needs to have a pipeline of guys ready to step in and contribute because there will always be free agent movement.

The only guys we're traded that have registered at all on our prospect radar are Allard and Wentz. I thought throwing in Wentz in the Greene deal was a bit of a knee jerk from Anthopoulos when he found out the Dodgers were in the bidding, but Wentz broke down and we'll have to see if he'll recover.

The sore thumb this year has obviously been Pache's performance. I didn't think he'd be a .750 OPS guy, but I expected him to at least look like he was prepared to face major league pitching on a consistent basis. Add to that Ozuna's injury (and d'Arnaud's to a lesser extent) and it's not hard to see why the offense has been so inconsistent.

I'll readily admit I'm one of the posters here who likes to hold on to prospects, but it all depends on value and a realization of where the team is at. This team is in a window of opportunity and that window likely stays open as long as Acuna and Albies are around. That said, given the Ozuna situation, the team has some immediate needs that are obvious and I wouldn't be surprised if a move is made (maybe sooner rather than later) for a cOF bat. As long as it's not one of the top prospects that's moved, it's probably wise to go that direction.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-01-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Bauer may be in some trouble after the lastest statement yesterday. The victim went to the hospital after he choked her unconscious bc he punched her in the head and fractured her skull. Wow.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Welcome to Bobby Bonilla day everyone!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WaitingFor2017 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-01-2021), bravesfanforlife88 (07-01-2021), jpx7 (07-01-2021), thewupk (07-01-2021)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Bauer may be in some trouble after the lastest statement yesterday. The victim went to the hospital after he choked her unconscious bc he punched her in the head and fractured her skull. Wow.
    Yeah....that's not looking good at all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah....that's not looking good at all
    The cops even tried setting him up by having her call him and they recorded the whole convo. Luckily for the Dodgers they can absorb the money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Congrats to the Miss St fans out there with their first NC in any sport. I know we have some real fans here.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Congrats to the Miss St fans out there with their first NC in any sport. I know we have some real fans here.
    Thanks. I was beginning to think it would never happen.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-01-2021), Tapate50 (07-01-2021), thewupk (07-01-2021)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I dunno it sounds like some freaky consensual sex to me. I mean why would she go back? Some women are all about this kinda stuff.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Welcome to Bobby Bonilla day everyone!
    Thankfully the Braves are done paying Sutter next season. What sucks is that it's a balloon payment of 9.1 million. Will that be the difference in Freeman staying a Brave?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    I dunno it sounds like some freaky consensual sex to me. I mean why would she go back? Some women are all about this kinda stuff.
    Pump the brakes a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    It's been half a season. Pretty hilarious that people have already given up on some of these guys.

It's fair to assume Waters may have some lingering issues from his injury earlier in the year. He's still getting on base at a high rate thanks to a much improved walk rate. It's also possible he and Pache both are working on something specifically with their swing or approach and the FO doesn't care about the results right now.
    There have always been red flags with Waters... I was super excited we drafted him, he was who I was hoping they would draft with the second pick that year. And I was optimistic after his first taste of minor league ball, but its obvious he's been more fools gold than not. We should have traded him while he had helium. Reminds me of Jordan Schafer is many ways. Pache I haven't given up on at all... but I'm concerned. Wright simply sucks.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    There have always been red flags with Waters... I was super excited we drafted him, he was who I was hoping they would draft with the second pick that year. And I was optimistic after his first taste of minor league ball, but its obvious he's been more fools gold than not. We should have traded him while he had helium. Reminds me of Jordan Schafer is many ways. Pache I haven't given up on at all... but I'm concerned. Wright simply sucks.
    I'm not Nostradamus when it comes to prospects, but when I read Wright's profile before the draft, for some reason I became leery about him. Talk of the five-pitch arsenal always makes me think these guys are more guile than raw stuff. I'm probably wrong about that, but to succeed at the major league level, you need three useable pitches, one of which (and preferably two) is a plus-plus pitch. Wright simply hasn't developed his repertoire to that level and it increasingly looks like maybe he won't.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Again, it's a half a season, in which he started the year injured. And he's finally learning to take a walk. If I recall correctly, his exit velocity has among the best at each level he's been at. And let's not forget, he's pretty dang good in the field too. It's silly to think Waters is "fools good."

Wright has sucked basically since he was drafted. He's never put up the stats at any level that reflect someone that was a top 5 pick. I had worries about him as far back as 2018.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (07-01-2021)

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    The problem is when he beat her to the point of her losing consciousness it’s not really consensual after she’s blacked out. He allegedly fractured her skull and choked her out with her own hair and after she was unconscious he flipped her over and sodomized her. Pretty messed up stuff. Not really sure how anyone can defend it by saying it was consensual when the abuse kept happening while she was unconscious.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    How do you pay someone that was making 4.8 million for 30 years with a balloon of 9 million at the end of it. That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    The problem is when he beat her to the point of her losing consciousness it’s not really consensual after she’s blacked out. He allegedly fractured her skull and choked her out with her own hair and after she was unconscious he flipped her over and sodomized her. Pretty messed up stuff. Not really sure how anyone can defend it by saying it was consensual when the abuse kept happening while she was unconscious.
    Kinda think we can do without the particulars.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?