Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1865

Thread: Around the League - 2021 Szn

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    One could tell Cabrera was going to hit from the get-go. He played SS and 3B almost exclusively in the minors but the Marlins wanted to get his bat into the line-up and OF it was.
    Chipper was a popular comp at the time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    One could tell Cabrera was going to hit from the get-go. He played SS and 3B almost exclusively in the minors but the Marlins wanted to get his bat into the line-up and OF it was.
    He had 3B eligibility in my fantasy league after that first season so he must have played a fair amount of games there-- at least 15.

I'm old enough to have gotten him off waivers when he first came up.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    He had 3B eligibility in my fantasy league after that first season so he must have played a fair amount of games there-- at least 15.

I'm old enough to have gotten him off waivers when he first came up.
    He did. He was a rookie when he had the dust-up with the Braves' bench after the hard tag on Bragg while playing 3B.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-16-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    3-4 years/$40-$50 million for Dansby sure doesn't look bad when you see the Crawford deal...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...extension.html
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-16-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Fernando Tatis Jr playing RF.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    3-4 years/$40-$50 million for Dansby sure doesn't look bad when you see the Crawford deal...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...extension.html
    I'm a little surprised that they're sticking with an aging core player but given his surge and the still good defense and just two years I guess it makes sense.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Dodgers putting Braves legend Cole Hamels on the 60 Day DL, and are calling up Braves legend Neftali Feliz

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-16-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Conversation

Marc Topkin
    @TBTimes_Rays
    Tonight's crowd of 5,460 is smallest ever for a #Rays game at Trop without COVID-related restrictions on capacity (as earlier this season). Smallest was 5,786 on May 28, 2019; had 5,855 on Aug 2 this year
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Conversation

Marc Topkin
    @TBTimes_Rays
    Tonight's crowd of 5,460 is smallest ever for a #Rays game at Trop without COVID-related restrictions on capacity (as earlier this season). Smallest was 5,786 on May 28, 2019; had 5,855 on Aug 2 this year
    Time to move the team. Not fair to treat a first place team that way. Then again, Covid has gotten pretty bad in Florida, so not sure if people are not showing up due to concerns.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Time to move the team. Not fair to treat a first place team that way. Then again, Covid has gotten pretty bad in Florida, so not sure if people are not showing up due to concerns.
    Were there weather issues yesterday in addition to the COVID spike? I'm having a hard time keeping track of all the travails Florida is facing these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Were there weather issues yesterday in addition to the COVID spike? I'm having a hard time keeping track of all the travails Florida is facing these days.
    Yeah they had a tropical depression "FRED" coming up the west coast.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    It just seems unlikely to me that baseball will ever be that popular in FL. Granted, Miami didn't really get a fair shake with the arguably the worst owner in the history of sports. Hard to build a fan base when he consistenntly ripped very talented teams apart and had the lowest payroll in the league for years.

But Tampa has had ample time to build the fan base. They hired very good management, have been great at player development in the minors, developed some legit stars and signed some of those stars to long term deals, and overall they've made a concerted effort to field competitive teams. Yet Tampa wants nothing to do with them it seems. Yes, the stadium issues were a mess, but if people were really big baseball fans in the area, they'd come out more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    It just seems unlikely to me that baseball will ever be that popular in FL. Granted, Miami didn't really get a fair shake with the arguably the worst owner in the history of sports. Hard to build a fan base when he consistenntly ripped very talented teams apart and had the lowest payroll in the league for years.

But Tampa has had ample time to build the fan base. They hired very good management, have been great at player development in the minors, developed some legit stars and signed some of those stars to long term deals, and overall they've made a concerted effort to field competitive teams. Yet Tampa wants nothing to do with them it seems. Yes, the stadium issues were a mess, but if people were really big baseball fans in the area, they'd come out more.
    Very transient area. Not saying its right, but most don't have a full time loyalty to places like that in FLA.
    Ivermectin Man

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Carp (08-17-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Very transient area. Not saying its right, but most don't have a full time loyalty to places like that in FLA.
    Isn't there a heavy retiree population with a fair number of them being Northern snowbirds that spend their summers in the climes from which they previously hailed? I know a number of relatively well-off Minnesotans (many of whom are retired) are "183 residents" of Florida because if they spend at least half the year in Florida, they can escape Minnesota income taxes. They spend their summers at their Northern Minnesota lake cabin (cabin being a very misleading term) and their winters in Florida.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Isn't there a heavy retiree population with a fair number of them being Northern snowbirds that spend their summers in the climes from which they previously hailed. I know a number of relatively well-off Minnesotans (many of whom are retired) are "183 residents" of Florida because if they spend at least half the year in Florida, they can escape Minnesota income taxes. They spend their summers at their Northern Minnesota lake cabin (cabin being a very misleading term) and their winters in Florida.
    I believe that is still the case. That area of FLA is known for their large retirement communities.
    Ivermectin Man

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I believe that is still the case. That area of FLA is known for their large retirement communities.
    It's really hard to build a fan base when so much disposable income isn't around during the baseball season. I remember visiting the Gulf Coast between Tampa-St. Petersburg and Fort Myers years ago and there was much more Yankee merchandise on display than Rays'. A lot of that had to do with Steinbrenner's presence in Tampa, but I did find it interesting.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Not the easiest stadium to reach. Parking is so so at best.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (08-17-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Population shifts would make it seem its a smart move to stay put in Tampa.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Not the easiest stadium to reach. Parking is so so at best.
    The very boot of St. Petersburg was not a good decision for that stadium. It would be analogous to putting the Mets in Montauk or the Sox in Provincetown. And the facility itself is lousy, kinda like the Kingdome without the cavernous mausoleum charm.

If you put 'em up around the airport near the Bucs, still accessible to Pinellas but on the (less transient) Tampa side, that franchise would draw fine.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Population shifts would make it seem its a smart move to stay put in Tampa.
    if populations are really shifting, wouldn't they just be still fans of their original team? It would take generations to build true loyal fans from just population shifts.
    Coppy