Page 6 of 94 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the League - 2021 Szn

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    A Heyward and Kimbrel combo sounds good.
    Ender would obviously be going back, but we don't really have another bad contract to send with him to get close to the money. Martin maybe would even out taking on Kimbrel's deal, but it's just really hard to see a way for AA to soak up Heyward's money (and I can't imagine ANYONE wants the next two years of it - no matter how close to winning they are).

Maybe Ender and an arm like Wright or Wilson for Kimbrel and Marisnick if they'd eat a little of what's left on Kimbrel's deal?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Ender would obviously be going back, but we don't really have another bad contract to send with him to get close to the money. Martin maybe would even out taking on Kimbrel's deal, but it's just really hard to see a way for AA to soak up Heyward's money (and I can't imagine ANYONE wants the next two years of it - no matter how close to winning they are).

Maybe Ender and an arm like Wright or Wilson for Kimbrel and Marisnick if they'd eat a little of what's left on Kimbrel's deal?
    I thought Heyward was in the final year of his deal?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    2 more years at 23 million per, sir. Hard pass unless they want to eat half.

Now Kris Bryant on the other hand...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-14-2021)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Again. If we really have no money, the absolute monumental mistake was signing Smlyl at 11 mil. We have Ynoa, Wilson and others who pitched in the playoffs and did well last year that could hold down the fifth spot with no problem.

Melancon: I’m not that big on him, but he already has four saves and a zero ERA at 2 mil. is a no brainer.

Duvall: For 5 mil. with no DH and Pache ready is a tough sell for him to sign, but what a great bench bat (he likely would have accepted that roll though).

Greene: Have to think you could get him for 4 mil.

There is your 11 million. Are these guys Freeman and Fried...no. They were very big contributors for us last year, and being our window is likely largest right now with the young guys making so little....it hacks me off that Liberty won’t spend a little extra. I also usually defend AA, but I felt signing Smyly was a boneheaded move from the beginning (unless we had unlimited funds...which I knew would not be the case). Our success came off a lockdown bullpen and a really good offense. Had we not had the rotation problems...we would have beaten the Dodgers. Morton was that solution. Smyly?? I still just do not get it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    AA seems to have this trait where when he fails in one area during a given year, he overcompensates to fix that issue. In 2018, while we weren't expected to compete, we went into the season with poor options at both LF and 3b. Acuna ended up filled the OF role, but the following off-season, AA spent most of our available payroll on JD.

In 2019, we went into the season with a bad pen. At the deadline, he went out and got 3 closers, then signed the best closer on the market the following winter.

2019-2020 offseason, he skimped on the rotation, opting to go with 2 old pitchers at the end of their careers to round out the rotation. Then Felix opted out and Hamels/Soroka got hurt, and we were left scrambling for rotation options. This winter, he goes out and secured multiple pitchers to ensure that wouldn't happen again.

Rotation help was out biggest need this off-season, aside from maybe re-signing/replacing Ozuna. Smyly and Morton might have been overkill, but despite early season struggles,I expect our rotation to be one of the best in baseball. I think the larger issue was tendering offers to both Camargo and Jackson, when it was pretty obvious both off those guys were easily replaceable either internally or on the open market for similar salaries.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Again. If we really have no money, the absolute monumental mistake was signing Smlyl at 11 mil. We have Ynoa, Wilson and others who pitched in the playoffs and did well last year that could hold down the fifth spot with no problem.

Melancon: I’m not that big on him, but he already has four saves and a zero ERA at 2 mil. is a no brainer.

Duvall: For 5 mil. with no DH and Pache ready is a tough sell for him to sign, but what a great bench bat (he likely would have accepted that roll though).

Greene: Have to think you could get him for 4 mil.

There is your 11 million. Are these guys Freeman and Fried...no. They were very big contributors for us last year, and being our window is likely largest right now with the young guys making so little....it hacks me off that Liberty won’t spend a little extra. I also usually defend AA, but I felt signing Smyly was a boneheaded move from the beginning (unless we had unlimited funds...which I knew would not be the case). Our success came off a lockdown bullpen and a really good offense. Had we not had the rotation problems...we would have beaten the Dodgers. Morton was that solution. Smyly?? I still just do not get it.
    i very much disagree. that would leave the Braves short a starting pitcher. we’d have to hope Wright Touki or Wilson aren’t absolute asscheeks. no thanks.

we’re two weeks into the season (not even). Fried is about to miss time.
    saying Ynoa or Wilson could hold it down “no problem” is just insane.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    If fried goes down it is Yona and wilson. Not or. Going into the season that would be a scary thought. Hindsight says Yona might be pretty good. Maybe.
    Coppy

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    So the Atlantic League and MLB are going to try out some rule changes. They’re moving the mound back a foot to 61’6” and are instituting a “double hook” rule where when the team pulls it’s starting pitcher they also lose their DH. The second rule sounds counter intuitive.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    A Heyward and Kimbrel combo sounds good.
    I watched a couple of his ABs on a mlb.com's Free Game of the Day feature and he now stands so far away from the plate that he almost looks like he's in the on-deck circle. He's off to a terrible start, but he's been so streaky the past few years that I wouldn't discount him turning it around. Had a good season during the pandemic and this is nothing against him per se, but I am throwing out pretty much all of 2020 statistically.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    So the Atlantic League and MLB are going to try out some rule changes. They’re moving the mound back a foot to 61’6” and are instituting a “double hook” rule where when the team pulls it’s starting pitcher they also lose their DH. The second rule sounds counter intuitive.
    Omfg...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-14-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Double-hook rule seems pretty ridiculous unless you allow the player who was the DH to become an active bench player for the remainder of the game.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-14-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Double-hook rule seems pretty ridiculous unless you allow the player who was the DH to become an active bench player for the remainder of the game.
    It seems like a dumb rule to combat the recent popularity off using an opener instead of a traditional starter.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (04-14-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    It seems like a dumb rule to combat the recent popularity off using an opener instead of a traditional starter.
    That too. I suppose some are concerned about 14-man pitching staffs, but penalizing a team for removing its starting pitcher probably isn't going to be a positive when it comes to putting undue stress on starting pitchers' arms.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    What happens to the guys like Nelson Cruz? They get maybe 1 or 2 bats a game. sometimes less. I can't imagine the players association would sign off on this
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Okay. Looks like I am in the minority here, but I like the double-hook rule. It effectively gives us the DH, but it also keeps the excitement (and importance) of a good bench. Whatever they decide, we need it to apply to both leagues.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-14-2021), salmagundy (04-14-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    It basically is like a designated hitter for each pitcher. That isn’t too bad. So when the pitcher is changed you have to remove that designated hitter. Once his spot comes back up you can put another bench guy in for as long as the pitcher currently pitching for your team continues to pitch. So if the next pitcher goes 4 innings. Your new hitter can keep hitting.
    Coppy

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    The double hook basically eliminates "the opener" from Tampa. I'm not sure if they've used it recently though.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Okay. Looks like I am in the minority here, but I like the double-hook rule. It effectively gives us the DH, but it also keeps the excitement (and importance) of a good bench. Whatever they decide, we need it to apply to both leagues.
    Think I kinda like the idea too. It would seemingly take away what is typically given as the main reason for many that favor the DH - not wanting your SP to get hurt doing something you're not paying him to do.

AL teams have spent huge amounts of money over the years for people like Cruz, Big Papi, etc, to do nothing but step in the box 3 times each night. That's fine with me, but it's a strategy choice (and one that should be available in BOTH leagues no matter what IMO). Lots of people have talked about how bad an idea it is to have a pure DH over the last few years - unless you've got an elite one. Many times it's a better idea to get your main pieces off their feet and give them extra rest. This would be a great idea in the Braves' situation when everyone's healthy - use Ozuna, Freeman, and d'Arnaud as your DH twice a week, with Acuna taking it the other day and almost none of the main guys ever has to take a day off. Panda plays 1B twice a week to cover for Freeman, Adrianza plays once a week at 2B and once a week at 3B to cover for Ozzie and Riley's days off, and Arcia covers Dansby's day off. Arcia and Adrianza can also take a second day at 3B in the event you want Riley to play in the OF one of the days Ozuna is the DH (or you need to give Ozzie, Dansby, or Riley an extra day at times).

I think everybody understands that pushing a SP to at least start through the lineup a third time is asking a lot (for some of them), but let's be realistic here - if you're a team paying a Pitcher $10 million plus and are so worried about his ability to stay healthy when throwing 90-100 pitches, YOU'RE a huge part of what's making the game so boring for the fans. Is developing SPs that go 5-6 innings every start optimal from a metrics standpoint? Of course not. I think anyone that argues that is more or less stupid. I'm probably the old-school guy that's come the farthest when it comes to not barking so much about the new "stathead game". I understand the points many make about the new metrics - even if I don't fully grasp all those metrics separately. I get it - and arguing the points you guys make is stupid since the numbers back up your points.

The problem is that the DH, 12+ man pens, SPs that aren't allowed to go beyond a certain number of pitches no matter how well they're pitching on a certain night, and 3+ hours worth of teams that can't score without hitting the ball over the fence has just sucked the fun of watching the game away from a lot of people.
    Last edited by clvclv; 04-14-2021 at 05:04 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Isn't the "double hook" rule in effect in the AL now??
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    It basically is like a designated hitter for each pitcher. That isn’t too bad. So when the pitcher is changed you have to remove that designated hitter. Once his spot comes back up you can put another bench guy in for as long as the pitcher currently pitching for your team continues to pitch. So if the next pitcher goes 4 innings. Your new hitter can keep hitting.
    I think your point up the page about how the players' association would handle the proposal would be interesting. I think the salaries for prototypical DHs would go down. Like you say, you're not going to pay Nelson Cruz full freight if he's only going to get to 2 ABs on average. Maybe the players could be bought off with a couple more roster spots, but I don't think this would change pitcher usage. Pitch limits and "third-time through" mentality is now well ensconced and with the game turning increasingly toward power pitching, I don't see managers letting pitchers go deeper into games.