Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 1865

Thread: Around the League - 2021 Szn

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    If San Diego don’t make it to the Playoffs and Riley continue playing good any chance he take the mvp from Tatis?
    Tatis is still in a different stratosphere than Riley. He would have to crash hard and Riley go on an insane tear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    If the award is for the best player, I wish they'd change the name. Ohtani is freaking outstanding, but hard to say he's the most valuable on a team that's under .500 and not sniffing the playoffs. Same deal with trout before him. If it's "most valuable", it needs to be a player that's playing for something imo

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If the award is for the best player, I wish they'd change the name. Ohtani is freaking outstanding, but hard to say he's the most valuable on a team that's under .500 and not sniffing the playoffs. Same deal with trout before him. If it's "most valuable", it needs to be a player that's playing for something imo
    Or you could just give the award to the transcendent players having great seasons instead of concocting reasons not to.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-27-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Or you could just give the award to the transcendent players having great seasons instead of concocting reasons not to.
    NFL does this right. You never see an "MVP" on a bad team. I have no problem with ohtani winning, but the term should be changed from mvp to MLB top player or something

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    Gained a full game on Phillies and Mets while sitting at home 2 days.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-27-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    This is the dumbest argument ever. The best player is the most valuable. They are worth the most wins, therefore they are the most valuable. Great players shouldn’t get punished for being on a ****ty team. They have no control over that, especially in baseball.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-27-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    This is the dumbest argument ever. The best player is the most valuable. They are worth the most wins, therefore they are the most valuable. Great players shouldn’t get punished for being on a ****ty team. They have no control over that, especially in baseball.
    Guess we disagree.

Boy, that ohtani is valuable... I bet the angels would've had a losing season without him.

I actually do think ohtani is the best player. I just wish the name of the award was different.

NFL MVP is a player on a playoff team.

NBA MVp is a player on a playoff team.

Hart memorial trophy is a player on a playoff team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    The Braves have really been able to chill and rest and STILL gain two games lmao

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Guess we disagree.

Boy, that ohtani is valuable... I bet the angels would've had a losing season without him.

I actually do think ohtani is the best player. I just wish the name of the award was different.

You think any team would have a dramatically different record without their best player?

I don't. The numbers don't. The Braves don't.

When things are close to being even the relevance to the championship race is probably a reasonable thing to weigh.

Ohtani isn't close to the pack.

He's the MVP even if New York sportswriters in the 30s and 40s wanted to justify shafting Ted Williams.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Guess we disagree.

NFL MVP is rarely anyone but QB. And QB is by far the most important position on the field. It's unlikely you're ever going to see an NFL QB playing like the best QB in football and his team not be in playoff contention. Probably the closest I can think of is Drew Brees. But again, it isn't like he was clearly the best QB in football in the years that Thesaurus finished below .500

Individual players have a larger impact in football and basketball then they do in baseball. So you'll rarely see the best players in those sports playing on losing teams. In baseballl, you aren't as directly responsible for points like you are in basketball and football.
    Last edited by Carp; 08-27-2021 at 08:04 AM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Guess we disagree.

Braves have played better without Acuna. Guess Joc and Soler are more valuable than Acuna

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    If it's just best player, give it do deGrom in NL. He was on 10 fWAR pace. If the award has nothing to do with leading your team to a successful season, I don't think missing time should count against you. Is he not the best in the NL just bc he got hurt?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    You think any team would have a dramatically different record without their best player?

I don't. The numbers don't. The Braves don't.

When things are close to being even the relevance to the championship race is probably a reasonable thing to weigh.

Ohtani isn't close to the pack.

He's the MVP even if New York sportswriters in the 30s and 40s wanted to justify shafting Ted Williams.
    It's the age old argument and I am so old I remember a lot of the controversial choices. I don't think there's much controversy this year (or there shouldn't be). Ohtani is a golden unicorn and I would argue we have never seen a player like him.

Agree on "when it's close, anything goes." One of the first instances of the statistically lesser players winning the MVP where controversy followed was the choice of Pendleton over Bonds. Clearly, Pendleton's role in the Braves' worst-to-first played a major role in him eking out the award over Bonds and they were close enough in most categories that the nod from the sportswriters was earned. I think voting has changed dramatically since the introduction of deeper statistical analysis, but there will always be a "romantic" side where a team performance narrative--especially if it's unexpected--will sway a considerable number of votes.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    The Braves have really been able to chill and rest and STILL gain two games lmao
    Benefit of being in a dog **** division. It’s been like this for awhile now.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    If not Ohtani then who else is the AL MVP? Can’t be Vlad since Toronto isn’t making the post season. Has to be Altuve I guess since his team is good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    If not Ohtani then who else is the AL MVP? Can’t be Vlad since Toronto isn’t making the post season. Has to be Altuve I guess since his team is good.
    Should be decided after the postseason imo. Great postseason performance should be weighted more heavy

ETA... now I'm not saying if Jorge soler gets red hot and leads the braves to a title, he should get it. If 2 are in contention and 1 goes off in the postseason, that should be a tie breaker or push that one over the top
    Last edited by msstate7; 08-27-2021 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Should be decided after the postseason imo. Great postseason performance should be weighted more heavy

ETA... now I'm not saying if Jorge soler gets red hot and leads the braves to a title, he should get it. If 2 are in contention and 1 goes off in the postseason, that should be a tie breaker or push that one over the top
    No, it shouldn’t. It’s a regular season award.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-27-2021)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts

Just stop and take the L.

It's really easy. If the best player is clearly outclassing the league then he gets the award. When it's close I would give preference to a playoff bound team.

Ohtani is the AL MVP.

deGrom would of won the NL if he had stayed healthy but he didn't. If Acuna had played all year with deGrom hurt he likely would have won it as well. But they did get hurt and that's the way it goes.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-27-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Just stop and take the L.

It's really easy. If the best player is clearly outclassing the league then he gets the award. When it's close I would give preference to a playoff bound team.

Ohtani is the AL MVP.

deGrom would of won the NL if he had stayed healthy but he didn't. If Acuna had played all year with deGrom hurt he likely would have won it as well. But they did get hurt and that's the way it goes.
    "Take the L." You guys really take this serious, dontcha? How can an opinion on either side be proven wrong? Drink a beer and relax this weekend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Gained a full game on Phillies and Mets while sitting at home 2 days.
    This is where the Phillies' lack of depth is killer. I know a few good Phillies fans, surprisingly, who say Hoskins admitted behind closed doors he was still injured and the front office pushed him back so they could stay in the race.