Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 1865

Thread: Around the League - 2021 Szn

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    I just saw Andrelton's Twins headshot on baseball-reference:

Um, why does he look like he's just spent the last year in a Soviet labor camp?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I just saw Andrelton's Twins headshot on baseball-reference:

Um, why does he look like he's just spent the last year in a Soviet labor camp?
    Maybe he has the same dietician as Mike Foltynewicz
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Anyone see Carlos Carreas comments on free agency?

Correa had a dim view of how serious the Astros were, saying “there were not really any negotiations,” and that the Astros “made it clear to me they don’t believe in long contracts, they don’t believe in big contracts.” “It was like, ’Take it or leave it; this is what we’ve got.’ And now my value has gone up. If they didn’t want to meet my price in spring training, now that I led the league in [Baseball Reference] WAR at 7.2 and I’m in the playoffs helping the team, I don’t know if they’ll meet my price now.”

“A lot of people don’t believe in 10-year contracts and in long-term deals and all that. But when you look at most of the 10-year contracts they’ve been giving out, the long-term deals, they’re players that are 31, 30, 32,” the shortstop noted. “I’m going to be 27 on my first year. I’m young, I’m healthy, and I perform. So we’ll see what happens.”

Correa stressed that “I want to win. Money’s great and everything, but I don’t want to be miserable in the clubhouse, losing every day.”

Those are the cliffnotes from MLBTraderumors
    Get off my lawn!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-15-2021)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Anyone see Carlos Carreas comments on free agency?

Correa had a dim view of how serious the Astros were, saying “there were not really any negotiations,” and that the Astros “made it clear to me they don’t believe in long contracts, they don’t believe in big contracts.” “It was like, ’Take it or leave it; this is what we’ve got.’ And now my value has gone up. If they didn’t want to meet my price in spring training, now that I led the league in [Baseball Reference] WAR at 7.2 and I’m in the playoffs helping the team, I don’t know if they’ll meet my price now.”

“A lot of people don’t believe in 10-year contracts and in long-term deals and all that. But when you look at most of the 10-year contracts they’ve been giving out, the long-term deals, they’re players that are 31, 30, 32,” the shortstop noted. “I’m going to be 27 on my first year. I’m young, I’m healthy, and I perform. So we’ll see what happens.”

Correa stressed that “I want to win. Money’s great and everything, but I don’t want to be miserable in the clubhouse, losing every day.”

Those are the cliffnotes from MLBTraderumors
    Front offices are too analytically approached to do 10 year deals anymore. Given his age, i can see a 6 to 8 year deal. 10 year deals are tough.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Sounds like Correa is hinting to the Yankees,

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Yankees have 219 million in payroll with arb projections factored in. Plus they gotta pay a MONSTER deal for Judge, on top of having Stanton and Cole on super long term deals. Not sure i see them doing a big-time deal, even though they do need it.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Schildt out as Cards manager, per Passan.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Yankees have 219 million in payroll with arb projections factored in. Plus they gotta pay a MONSTER deal for Judge, on top of having Stanton and Cole on super long term deals. Not sure i see them doing a big-time deal, even though they do need it.
    New CBA may make luxury tax obsolete plus Steinbrenners really dont care about the tax if they win. Question Do the Steinbrenners still own YES?

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    I don't know why, but there's something pretty hilarious about Correa citing WAR in an unscripted interview (out to the first decimal place), and the writer having to clarify in brackets that he's referring to baseball-reference WAR and not Fangraphs WAR.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (10-14-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Betts and Lindor both signed 10+ year contracts and both about the same age. Lindor is already looking like a bad sign (way to early to really say), but neither would I want for my team. I know Dodger$ print money, but still, 30+ million for a guy through out his entire 30's..
    Coppy

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Schildt out as Cards manager, per Passan.
    Another dinosaur now out of baseball. I wonder if St. Louis will now be smart and go with an analytical approach. I doubt it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Another dinosaur now out of baseball. I wonder if St. Louis will now be smart and go with an analytical approach. I doubt it.
    I think so. They cited philosophical differences. That tells me that they’re looking to move into the new age.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    THis is the Jerk that stated when they beat the Braves that they were not going to let the Braves "F**k with them. What a clown

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Robyn1967 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (10-14-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1967 View Post
    THis is the Jerk that stated when they beat the Braves that they were not going to let the Braves "F**k with them. What a clown
    He’s a ****ing moron.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Think this one's going to surprise a lot of people. The reason given for the parting of ways - by Mozeliak at least - was "philosophical differences". How analytically-minded the Cardinals are about to become is certainly up for discussion, but that definitely makes it sound like Shildt wasn't on board with whatever level the higher-ups are interested in trying.

The more interesting question for me is "Does this combined with the story about how quickly the Braves' change in philosophy surrounding shifts open the door to dismissing Snitker wider?". I don't think ANYONE - regardless of which way you feel about the situation - could come away from reading that feeling like that was dictated to him and he's still not particularly happy about someone from upstairs pointing out a way to improve the team and being dead right about it.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-14-2021 at 03:52 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I don't know why, but there's something pretty hilarious about Correa citing WAR in an unscripted interview (out to the first decimal place), and the writer having to clarify in brackets that he's referring to baseball-reference WAR and not Fangraphs WAR.
    The funny part is that he's only at 5.8 fWAR, which is why he quoted his bWAR value.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-15-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    We are winning the whole thing and will never rid ourselves of twit.
    Coppy

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The funny part is that he's only at 5.8 fWAR, which is why he quoted his bWAR value.
    His agent made the distinction very clear.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Think this one's going to surprise a lot of people. The reason given for the parting of ways - by Mozeliak at least - was "philosophical differences". How analytically-minded the Cardinals are about to become is certainly up for discussion, but that definitely makes it sound like Shildt wasn't on board with whatever level the higher-ups are interested in trying.

The more interesting question for me is "Does this combined with the story about how quickly the Braves' change in philosophy surrounding shifts open the door to dismissing Snitker wider?". I don't think ANYONE - regardless of which way you feel about the situation - could come away from reading that feeling like that was dictated to him and he's still not particularly happy about someone from upstairs pointing out a way to improve the team and being dead right about it.
    Until the Braves lose, it's going to be VERY hard to get rid of Snit. I thought this might be the year, but then AA goes and pulls MVP level moves at the deadline, the Mets collapse, and the Braves are WS contenders.

I think we are just stuck with Snit's faults in order to enjoy his other skills, which are not insignificant.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (10-14-2021), Garmel (10-14-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Until the Braves lose, it's going to be VERY hard to get rid of Snit. I thought this might be the year, but then AA goes and pulls MVP level moves at the deadline, the Mets collapse, and the Braves are WS contenders.

I think we are just stuck with Snit's faults in order to enjoy his other skills, which are not insignificant.
    AA is definitely winning Executive of the Year. The crazy part is Snit could technically win Manager of the Year
    Get off my lawn!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-15-2021)