Results 1,861 to 1,865 of 1865

Thread: Around the League - 2021 Szn

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    They could very easily hire a high quality AGM from one of the premier front offices in baseball. I don’t buy for a second that there was a shortage of interest in that job.

I do not understand how you land on Eppler as the final answer, unless he’s said he’s fine working under Stearns next year and they want someone experienced to hold the reins for a year.
    I think you answered your own question.

As a companion question, why do the Mets think Stearns wants their ****ty job? So he grew up there. It's a ****hole. Ever seen the neighborhood around that stadium? Yeeee

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Thor goes to the Angels on a 21M deal for one year. Not bad at all IMO. If we’d had a bit more money to play around with I would’ve done that
    This type of thinking is how you wind up with Hamels for $18M or Smyly for $11M. Just because it's one year doesn't mean it's monopoly money. You still have to build a team with scarce resources. Although I guess for the Angels, they could go out back and light bricks of $100 bills on fire and Moreno would be okay with it.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Thor goes to the Angels on a 21M deal for one year. Not bad at all IMO. If we’d had a bit more money to play around with I would’ve done that
    Glad you’re not the Braves GM, but I’d provide a glowing reference of you for the Philly, Marlins or Muts job.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Dog Murph For This Useful Post:

Super (11-24-2021)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    This type of thinking is how you wind up with Hamels for $18M or Smyly for $11M. Just because it's one year doesn't mean it's monopoly money. You still have to build a team with scarce resources. Although I guess for the Angels, they could go out back and light bricks of $100 bills on fire and Moreno would be okay with it.
    And yet with all that money being thrown around,they still cant win. ;-)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    There is an article about baseball cards up on MSN that brings a lot of nostalgia to me. Recently I posted my experinces at the old Briggs Stadium as a child. Ted Williams being part of the experience. My friend from school who I went to the Detroit games with was a very fortunate kid for those times. Charlie got $1 per day lunch money when you could cross the street from school and get a hot dog and coke for 20 cents. Now when spring came in 1952 Charlie chose to forego lunch and after school we walked down to a little convenience store on the way home and Charlie bought 20 packs of Topps cards. EVERY day for 3 (?) months. Then we sat on the curb and sorted them. Charlie picked the Tigers cards and gave the rest to me. I put mine in the bag they came in and merrily went on home, placed my cards in a shoe box, put the shoe box in the attic and went to the playground. When the summer came I had 2 plus shoe boxes full of 1952 Topps baseball cards. I dont recall ever removing them from the attic but we moved in 1956 and I forgot about them until many years later I saw where a Mickey Mantle card sold for $3,000,000.00. Im sure someone along the line threw them away but I often wonder how many Mantle cards I may have held in ownership at the same time.