Page 34 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the League - 2021 Szn

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think the easy answer to this is MLB makes a mix and says this is what you are allowed to use. You put a tub of it on the back of the mound instead of the rosin bag.
    This seems like a logical solution. Create something that is uniform and that gives pitchers the grip/consistency that they need without dramatically improving the effectiveness of their pitches.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    They didn’t care because they didn’t know the advantage gained by dramatically increasing spin rate. Pitchers also weren’t using the exotic stuff like spider tack back then because it didn’t exist. In fact, I bet all those guys in your poll still don’t know about it, and spend most of their time talking about “back in my day”.
    Again, I don't have an issue with outlawing spider tac. But I do think they've gone to extreme's to try and curb the use of it.

I've talked to 6 former players. 1 of them is a friend of my FIL and a former ML relief pitcher for the Mets and Orioles. He's definitely on the older side, but he confirmed what everyone basically knows, which is that pretty much every pitcher regularly used stuff to get better grips on the ball. He says everyone on the team knew it and not one player remotely cared.

The other guys I know never made it to majors or only played college ball. They're all younger than 32 though, so definitely not old foggies. But they all agree it's extremely common throughout the minors/college. And all of them were completely aware what Spider tac was well before it became a household name recently. I doubt they know much about spin rates and advanced analytical data, but they were keenly aware it produces the best results.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Again, I don't have an issue with outlawing spider tac. But I do think they've gone to extreme's to try and curb the use of it.

I've talked to 6 former players. 1 of them is a friend of my FIL and a former ML relief pitcher for the Mets and Orioles. He's definitely on the older side, but he confirmed what everyone basically knows, which is that pretty much every pitcher regularly used stuff to get better grips on the ball. He says everyone on the team knew it and not one player remotely cared.

The other guys I know never made it to majors or only played college ball. They're all younger than 32 though, so definitely not old foggies. But they all agree it's extremely common throughout the minors/college. And all of them were completely aware what Spider tac was well before it became a household name recently. I doubt they know much about spin rates and advanced analytical data, but they were keenly aware it produces the best results.
    What they haven't asked their self is how does an umpire know the difference between Spidertack and rosin/sunscreen?

It's all or nothing. Umps have a hard enough time doing balls and strikes. Are we giving them a hand held spectrometer and they analyze the substance?

Pitchers brought this on themselves.
    MLB lost all credibility by everything under Manfred and especially the multiple changes to the ball w/o union. Everyone was ok with the pitchers driving 5 mph over the limit, but many went to driving 25 mph over and that's not ok. And in this case we don't have a radar gun to only catch the super cheaters so everyone is getting a regulator on the engine. Go yell at Cole.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    This seems like a logical solution. Create something that is uniform and that gives pitchers the grip/consistency that they need without dramatically improving the effectiveness of their pitches.
    They need to take a cue from Japan and just make the baseball naturally more sticky. No need for it to be as slick as it is.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-23-2021), Carp (06-23-2021), Garmel (06-23-2021), jpx7 (06-23-2021)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    The Phillies blow 3 separate leads to the Nationals today -- a day after Joe Girardi makes an ass of himself.

You just hate to see it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingFor2017 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (06-23-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    In an article in The Athletic, Bowden listed the 75 most likely deadline trade candidates and ranks the likelihood of their being traded. No Braves listed as candidates to be traded and only two (Haniger and Peralta) are listed as players who would be good fits for the Braves. Kind of a lazy article, but it makes me think that we won't be sellers unless the floor caves in.

And for those pining for the return of Duvall (yes, I've seen it here), Bowden accurately assesses him as a starter on a non-contender and a 4/5 OF for a contender.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-30-2021), PawPawMaxwell (06-26-2021)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Looks like Freeman might steal the all-star game starting spot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    We got beef between Donaldson and Giolito!
    Ivermectin Man

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    We got beef between Donaldson and Giolito!
    Loved Giolito's "they're in last place" response. He's a great player, but I don't know if there's a bigger prick in the big leagues than Donaldson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Loved Giolito's "they're in last place" response. He's a great player, but I don't know if there's a bigger prick in the big leagues than Donaldson.
    Yeah- I liked his response as well . “Pest” was a good word for it
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    The way Pache and Waters are struggling, AA doesn't have a truck to back up if he wanted to try to trade for anyone at this point.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Is Bauer gonna get the Ozuna treatment?

https://sports-yahoo-com.cdn.ampproj...003347120.html

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Is Bauer gonna get the Ozuna treatment?

https://sports-yahoo-com.cdn.ampproj...003347120.html
    Eventually he might. But as of now it's an allegation and I'd like to have that play out before any repercussion. Ozuna was literally witnessed by the police so a bit of a different situation.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Garmel (06-30-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The way Pache and Waters are struggling, AA doesn't have a truck to back up if he wanted to try to trade for anyone at this point.
    This has been the biggest criticism of AA easily. He has let prospects that had enormous value at one time flounder until their value is slim to none. It’s pretty bad that we are going to possibly have nothing to show for Waters/Pache/Wright/Touki/Wilson, etc...

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    This has been the biggest criticism of AA easily. He has let prospects that had enormous value at one time flounder until their value is slim to none. It’s pretty bad that we are going to possibly have nothing to show for Waters/Pache/Wright/Touki/Wilson, etc...
    I can see your point on Waters, who has always had sketchy peripherals to go with the insane BABIP along with divided opinion on his future ceiling from the scouting community, but Pache has gotten high marks and increasingly positive reviews as he moved up the minor league ladder. That said, Anthopoulos' MO in Toronto was moving prospects for major league players and I thought he would have little problem trading away some of our top drawer guys. He did move Allard (whose star had dimmed) and Wentz, but I am a bit surprised he hasn't been more willing to move guys. I still think (and I might be alone) that the ripple effects of the international sanctions have made him more conservative on trading guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    I can see your point on Waters, who has always had sketchy peripherals to go with the insane BABIP along with divided opinion on his future ceiling from the scouting community, but Pache has gotten high marks and increasingly positive reviews as he moved up the minor league ladder. That said, Anthopoulos' MO in Toronto was moving prospects for major league players and I thought he would have little problem trading away some of our top drawer guys. He did move Allard (whose star had dimmed) and Wentz, but I am a bit surprised he hasn't been more willing to move guys. I still think (and I might be alone) that the ripple effects of the international sanctions have made him more conservative on trading guys.
    Allard is doing well now

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Allard is doing well now
    Allard's star had dimmed in our eyes when we traded him and he went in a now-for-later deal. If the brain trust thought he was still going to be somebody in the short term for the Braves, they never would have traded him.

We'll see how Allard does. He may turn into a decent mid-to-back end of the rotation starter.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Details have started to come out from the 67 page restraining order against Bauer.

“A domestic violence restraining order filed against Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer and executed on June 28 includes multiple graphic images from the woman who filed the request,” Ghiroli and Strange wrote. “The woman, in the 67-page ex-parte document, said that Bauer assaulted her on two different occasions. Together, the woman said those two incidents included Bauer punching her in the face, vagina, and buttocks, sticking his fingers down her throat, and strangling her to the point where she lost consciousness multiple times.”

Bauers' camp claims that everything was consensual and she even continued to contact him after the events.

This is completely different than the Ozuna case of course, but the details are quite graphic.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Including Pache’s name was probably unfair. I was always high on him. I just can’t believe how far he’s fallen so quickly. I’m still hopeful for him but things are pretty awful at the moment.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    The problem with those who scream that AA held on to certain prospects too long is that they're EXACTLY the same people who would have been the first ones to scream bloody murder if he'd have traded them and they became successful somewhere else (myself included).

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways - a lot of the same people screaming about Pache, Waters, and Wright now would also be the first to criticize him if he'd have traded them before or by now.

You don't get cheap regulars/rotation pieces if you trade them when they first struggle - how many of us have been trying to trade Riley for three years???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?