Thread: Around the League - 2021 Szn

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    And?

Most of our bench signed for minor league contract. We actually gave up something of value to get Arcia.

Arcia is a significantly better fielder than Camargo. Probably better than Adrianza too. And offensively, he's no worse. He had the best 2020 season among any players currently on our bench.
    Yes.

Swanson >>> Arcia >> Camargo
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    He’s on pace for ~2.0 fWAR, which would be pretty good at $6m this year; but, given his x-stats are all solidly better than his results thus far, I expect he’ll end up worth more like 3.0 by season’s end. It might not be the ~6.0 fWAR he was pacing in 2020, but it’s leaps and bounds better than anything we might expect from Arcia.
    Sure, like I said, he’s clearly better than Arcia, or anything we could expect from Arcia. I’m a recent convert to the “Dansby is fine” train and my previous “Dansby sucks” tendencies die hard.

We don’t have anyone to replace him right now. And replacing him won’t really be that hard, when it becomes necessary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Sure, like I said, he’s clearly better than Arcia, or anything we could expect from Arcia. I’m a recent convert to the “Dansby is fine” train and my previous “Dansby sucks” tendencies die hard.

We don’t have anyone to replace him right now. And replacing him won’t really be that hard, when it becomes necessary.
    As much as it makes me cringe to say it, he does bring the “intangibles” as well. He’s a leader, and is a big part of the team energy. That won’t be that easy to replace.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-10-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    So...are the Giants for real?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Our pal Alex Wood has a 1.80 era

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-10-2021)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts

We'll see how he finishes 2021, but 3.0 war is around the median for shortstop production, meaning around half the league has a worse player at SS. I'm with Cy that he's going to be less easy to replace than one might think—but with you (I think?) that he'll be worth replacing when his cheaper arb years run dry. In the latter scenario, I hope Anthopoulos uses it as an opportunity to slot a true star at SS and strengthen the team / lengthen the lineup. Nonetheless, there are worse scenario than extenting Dansby at a relatively-inexpensive rate—about half the league says the Braves could do worse.

One option might be Carlos Correa. He struggled last season, and hasn't hit the ground running this year, but if he rebounds reasonably well Correa could be a good option this off-season, and adding him would have the contingent effect of allowing Anthopoulos to trade Swanson before he becomes pricier. That's full-on spit-balling, though, and seems pretty unlikely, all things considered.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    They are indeed an actual baseball teamb in the MLB if that's what you mean.

Regarding their performance, the answer is no. Sort of a combination of an easy schedule with several of their vets turning the clock back 5 years. When those players' luck runs out and the schedule gets harder, they'll be back to the .500 team they truly are.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Dansby is better than Arcia, sure, but let’s not kid ourselves that Dansby is more than he is. His improvement with the glove and some big hits have made me appreciate him more than I used to but he’s a meh hitter outside of last year’s 60-game silly season.
    Nah, he was pretty much the same hitter in 2019 as he was in 2020. Just got the expected result in 2020 over a short season.

He's shown a definite improvement over time at the plate and seems to be rounding into form now. Let's see where he finishes. I can't imagine that non-tendering Dansby is something that is even in the minds of the org right now. I think he probably plays out his control through 2022. I could see Atlanta choosing to keep him around if he is reasonably priced. I don't see the Braves going after a high dollar shortstop.

My guess is that someone sees the potential 20/20 in Arcia still and thought that maybe they could fix him. They moved two guys from the 40 man that I guess had outlived their usefulness. Maybe Weigel is a good example of a starter that the Braves should have converted to a reliever, but that's not a high priority for them it does not seem.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-11-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Our pal Alex Wood has a 1.80 era
    I thought Wood would have been a good signing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    They are indeed an actual baseball teamb in the MLB if that's what you mean.

Regarding their performance, the answer is no. Sort of a combination of an easy schedule with several of their vets turning the clock back 5 years. When those players' luck runs out and the schedule gets harder, they'll be back to the .500 team they truly are.
    My thoughts as well, but I do wonder if some of the sudden offensive resurgence (especially in regards to power) of Posey, Longoria, and Belt is a result of them improving their launch angle which was no doubt preached by their new GM. Pretty sure the Giants weren’t a very analytics driven team prior.

I also like their rotation.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    My thoughts as well, but I do wonder if some of the sudden offensive resurgence (especially in regards to power) of Posey, Longoria, and Belt is a result of them improving their launch angle which was no doubt preached by their new GM. Pretty sure the Giants weren’t a very analytics driven team prior.

I also like their rotation.
    I think they hired Bonds as an assistant coach to help the older players find their power stroke

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    I think they hired Bonds as an assistant coach to help the older players find their power stroke
    I am going to invest some money in a SF area helmet and hat company. They will have to replace them once a month as their heads all grow over time.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    lol indeed

However, the moment during Bonds's tenure that stood out the most to Samson was when the hitting coach stormed out of the facility as second baseman Dee Gordon apologized to the team after receiving an 80-game suspension due to a positive test for performance-enhancing drugs.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-11-2021), Tapate50 (05-11-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    lol indeed
    You can’t make **** like that up.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    For real as of May 11th? Sure.

Ask again on August 11th.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Every year a mediocre team has a hot start that carries them to playoff contention for the rest of the season, even after they start playing like a mediocre team. This year, that team plays in SF.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-11-2021), UNCBlue012 (05-11-2021)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Who could possibly have predicted this outcome?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    We have claimed RP Jay Flaa from the Os.
    Ivermectin Man