The biggest Metropolitan Areas without Baseball in USA:

Charlotte 2.6m (Hornets, Panthers)
    Orlando 2.6m (Magic. MLS)
    San Antonio 2.55m (Spurs)
    Portland 2.49 m (Blazers, MLS)
    Sacramento 2.36m (Kings)
    Las Vegas 2.26 (Raiders, NHL)
    Nashville 1.9m (Titans, NHL Predators)
    Charlotte needs a team. Although if we did... they would have to be AL or I'm not sure I'd be able to support them.
    Last edited by CrazyTrain; 05-12-2021 at 10:36 AM.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Boy, Mitch Haniger is having a good start to the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Looks like Profar has found a new way to get on base ???
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Charlotte needs a team. Allthough if we did... they would have to be AL or I'm not sure I'd be able to support them.
    I suppose that I should be fine with a Charlotte team as it would be more convenient than Atlanta and my kids might find that more useful, but I just feel like it would be a small market team without a whole lot of passion behind it.

But that's my general impression of Charlotte. Not anything worth getting excited about.

On a related note, I'm sure it would inconvenience my Braves access in one way or another. And it would probably hurt the Braves bottom line somehow. If I thought it would be a success and a good thing for the kids, I'd probably reluctantly support it. But I just seriously doubt that MLB would do well in Charlotte.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I suppose that I should be fine with a Charlotte team as it would be more convenient than Atlanta and my kids might find that more useful, but I just feel like it would be a small market team without a whole lot of passion behind it.

But that's my general impression of Charlotte. Not anything worth getting excited about.

On a related note, I'm sure it would inconvenience my Braves access in one way or another. And it would probably hurt the Braves bottom line somehow. If I thought it would be a success and a good thing for the kids, I'd probably reluctantly support it. But I just seriously doubt that MLB would do well in Charlotte.
    What's the source of your feeling here? MiLB sets attendance records in Charlotte. Not sure why that wouldn't translate well to an MLB team.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    The biggest Metropolitan Areas without Baseball in USA:

Charlotte 2.6m (Hornets, Panthers)
    Orlando 2.6m (Magic. MLS)
    San Antonio 2.55m (Spurs)
    Portland 2.49 m (Blazers, MLS)
    Sacramento 2.36m (Kings)
    Las Vegas 2.26 (Raiders, NHL)
    Nashville 1.9m (Titans, NHL Predators)
    Vegas!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    What's the source of your feeling here? MiLB sets attendance records in Charlotte. Not sure why that wouldn't translate well to an MLB team.

I don't know. It would begin life not only as a small market, but one with two other professional sports franchises in town.

The Braves also dominate their target population to a much more intense degree than anything the Panthers or Hornets ever had to deal with.

With the exception of the early years of the Hornets (LJ and Mourning), I've never really sensed a hell of a lot of passion for professional sports from up there. I tend to wish them well enough, but not enough to follow closely.

I think the MiLB vs MLB dynamic and even target fan is a little different, but the AAA numbers are I guess somewhat encouraging. I understand the park is nice and that has certainly pushed attendance in a lot of places, but sometimes that MiLB thing is about ease and affordability. Not about connection to the team or winning or even watching a baseball game. I feel like you need a lot of more passionate investment in the product to support MLB numbers, but I might be dead wrong.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Vegas!
    I sort of lean towards Portland, but I think that's just because I liked their stadium renderings.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I don't know. It would begin life not only as a small market, but one with two other professional sports franchises in town.

The Braves also dominate their target population to a much more intense degree than anything the Panthers or Hornets ever had to deal with.

With the exception of the early years of the Hornets (LJ and Mourning), I've never really sensed a hell of a lot of passion for professional sports from up there. I tend to wish them well enough, but not enough to follow closely.

I think the MiLB vs MLB dynamic and even target fan is a little different, but the AAA numbers are I guess somewhat encouraging. I understand the park is nice and that has certainly pushed attendance in a lot of places, but sometimes that MiLB thing is about ease and affordability. Not about connection to the team or winning or even watching a baseball game. I feel like you need a lot of more passionate investment in the product to support MLB numbers, but I might be dead wrong.

I kind of wonder if the Triangle wouldn't be as good or better a choice in NC. Faster growing. Further away from Atlanta.

Montreal and Vancouver seem like good choices on paper, but both cities have lost professional franchises for disinterest in recent past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    I kind of wonder if the Triangle wouldn't be as good or better a choice in NC. Faster growing. Further away from Atlanta.

Montreal and Vancouver seem like good choices on paper, but both cities have lost professional franchises for disinterest in recent past.
    Montreal didn’t lose the team due to disinterest. They lost the team because they continually got screwed by MLB.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-16-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Montreal didn’t lose the team due to disinterest. They lost the team because they continually got screwed by MLB.
    They had below average attendance for their last 20 years or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts

Proximity to ATL isn't really an issue IMO. Braves Country is the southeast and NC falls directly into that regardless of the extra 2.5 hrs away. TBS was the best thing that ever happened to that franchise.

The Triangle would be another good spot, but IMO Raleigh is even more of a transplant town than Charlotte is at this point. They support the Canes fairly well when they are decent.

Charlotte supports everything but the Hornets (due to obvious reasons) and I think the MLS team will take off like a rocket. Prior to the original Hornets leaving the Hive was slammed for every game. CLT also kills it with the golf tournaments... NASCAR...

This city loves that stuff.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I sort of lean towards Portland, but I think that's just because I liked their stadium renderings.
    I was just tossing out Vegas somewhat as a joke. It would have to be a climate-controlled stadium (or else no night games) because summer in Vegas is unmercifully hot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    lol I'm pretty sure Portland should be completely avoided by all at this point. What a ****hole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    They had below average attendance for their last 20 years or so.
    Yes, because MLB continually did them dirty.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I was just tossing out Vegas somewhat as a joke. It would have to be a climate-controlled stadium (or else no night games) because summer in Vegas is unmercifully hot.
    I actually think Vegas is a legitimate contender. They've shown there is absolutely no hesitancy to shell out HUGE money for a state of the art park there, and if MLB reshuffles the divisions to actually address some of the travel concerns putting another team out west would certainly make sense because it would really help cut down other teams having to go so far to play the Mariners.

MLB West Division - LA, San Francisco, San Diego, Anaheim, Colorado, Arizona, Seattle, Vegas (formerly Oakland)

MLB Midwest Division - Kansas City, Houston, Texas, St. Louis, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Chicago, Chicago

MLB Northeast Division - New York, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Cleveland, Detroit

MLB Southeast Division - Orlando (formerly Tampa Bay), Miami, Atlanta, Baltimore, Washington, Cincinnati, Nashville, Raleigh/Charlotte

If you rotated playing divisions like the current AL/NL system with the West/Midwest as one league, Seattle wouldn't have to come east of Chicago/Milwaukee unless they made it to the World Series and none of the teams in the new Eastern League would have to deal with time zone changes.
    Last edited by clvclv; 05-12-2021 at 03:35 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Yes, because MLB continually did them dirty.

I googled how MLB continually did Montreal dirty and came up empty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    I googled how MLB continually did Montreal dirty and came up empty.
    Well, it started with Jeffrey Loria, but when MLB bought the team in 2002 they took a talented, competitive team and wouldn’t let them spend any money to supplement it. They also constantly blocked them from getting a new stadium built as far back as the 90’s. It was all a ploy to get baseball back in DC.

It’s not like the fans just woke up one day a la Jason Heyward and decided they hated baseball. They had good attendance pre-strike.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-16-2021)