Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB Draft

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Isn’t this the draft thread?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

rico43 (07-11-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,354 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Isn’t this the draft thread?
    Didn’t GA draft the bill. Mic drop. But seriously!! Draft topics would be nice.
    Coppy

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-08-2021), jpx7 (04-09-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,490 Posts
    I don’t believe in the draft.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I don’t want go to Nam
    Ivermectin Man

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Someone can coach me up on what's objectionable about the GA voting law. As I understand it:
    1. You can't offer someone something of value (water/food) while they are waiting in line to vote;
    2. You have to prove who you are in order to vote;
    3. You can't give your ballot to someone else to turn in;
    4. You have to actually request your own absentee ballot instead of having a third party request it for you;
    5. The state election board will be accountable to the Legislature (the entity identified by the Constitution as having authority over the process), not the Secretary of State; and
    6. Local Officials that have phantom water mains break, lose chain of custody or ballots or otherwise do a crappy job of ensuring the public perceives the vote is accurate and fair can be removed by the state election board.

Just for comparison,
    1. Campaign workers are permitted to offer water, snacks or other items to voters who are waiting in line. However, these "comfort teams" may not campaign or wear any apparel or accessories identifying a candidate, a political party or a ballot measure. Georgia's approach would seem to be better as it doesn't require an independent observer to monitor "comfort teams" to ensure they are not violating the law.
    2. Colorado requires a photo ID to register to vote. Georgia requires you to prove who you are every election. Colorado only knows who you are when you register.
    3. Colorado caps the number of ballots from another person you can handle at 9. No real difference her with GA as far as I can see. Neither state permits an organization to collect thousands of ballots.
    4. Colorado has sent every voter an absentee ballot since 2013. "Absentee ballots remain the largest source of potential voter fraud.” -Jimmy Carter
    5. The Legislature set up mail in voting in Colorado.
    6. The Secretary of State, an Executive Officer is responsible for ensuring the election is conducted in compliance with the law established by the legislative branch.

So I conclude MLB took the All-Star game from Georgia and gave it to Colorado MLB supports not only mail in voting, but mail in voting in which there is no need to prove you are the actual person that is supposed to be casting the mail in ballot. As with everything else, it is security vs. freedom. Do you want to know that only those authorized to vote are voting or do you want everyone to vote be damned if they are authorized. MLB's decision on this issue is largely in conformance with the way it handled the Astros cheating scandal.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OcalaBrave For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (07-13-2021), Jaw (04-27-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,109 Posts
    While I love hearing folks white-splain so many "yeah but what abouts" while demonstrating a complete inability to empathize with any other groups of people, I do agree that it sucks for GA residents that they lost the AS game.

Does it suck as much for GA baseball fans as the new laws suck for minority/poor voters? Who knows. I'm just thankful I don't live in that region of the country.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-08-2021)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    While I love hearing folks white-splain so many "yeah but what abouts" while demonstrating a complete inability to empathize with any other groups of people, I do agree that it sucks for GA residents that they lost the AS game.

Does it suck as much for GA baseball fans as the new laws suck for minority/poor voters? Who knows. I'm just thankful I don't live in that region of the country.
    What reason is there to empathize if the group in question isn't being wronged (in this very specific instance, the voting law...not at all talking about other aspects of life)? I'd love for someone to "blacksplain" to me how this law makes voting more difficult, or tell me what I'm missing here. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'm willing to be open minded if someone can explain the negative effects of the law without being untruthful about the provisions contained in it.

This isn't white vs black, north vs. south, educated vs. uneducated, etc. It's a power play between two political parties, neither of which give a rat's ass about anything more than gaining or maintaining power.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (04-13-2021), Hudson2 (04-08-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Let me explain it for you. Democrats object to the bill because it's part of a Republican narrative to try to rewrite history regarding the 2020 election. There are a few good parts that you will see pimped by the some but there are other parts that are thinly veiled attempts to help Republicans in future elections. I say help in future elections and not win future elections because one thing the bill makes easier to do is what Trump tries to do in 2021 and that's gets the state legislature to override voters. I personally dont think somethings like ID# on mail in ballots is an unreasonable hurdle to voting but it will result in less votes. No serious person believes Republicans are doing this bill because they care so deeply about election integrity. On the flip side Democrats motives regarding the bill are also solely based on them wanting to win future elections. Who the good guy there is up to you. I personally side with wanting more people to vote.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-09-2021), DirkPiggler (04-09-2021), jpx7 (04-09-2021)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Let me explain it for you. Democrats object to the bill because it's part of a Republican narrative to try to rewrite history regarding the 2020 election. There are a few good parts that you will see pimped by the some but there are other parts that are thinly veiled attempts to help Republicans in future elections. I say help in future elections and not win future elections because one thing the bill makes easier to do is what Trump tries to do in 2021 and that's gets the state legislature to override voters. I personally dont think somethings like ID# on mail in ballots is an unreasonable hurdle to voting but it will result in less votes. No serious person believes Republicans are doing this bill because they care so deeply about election integrity. On the flip side Democrats motives regarding the bill are also solely based on them wanting to win future elections. Who the good guy there is up to you. I personally side with wanting more people to vote.
    I like this post. Unfortunately enough nut jobs don't see any of this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Well put. In essence, Republicans like to vote on election day in person. Many Democrats like to vote early or by mail in absentee ballot. This played out last election. These laws would certainly make it a bit harder for the Democrats to vote like they've been doing, and that's why so many are claiming it will cause voter suppression and benefit Republicans.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,840 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Well put. In essence, Republicans like to vote on election day in person. Many Democrats like to vote early or by mail in absentee ballot. This played out last election. These laws would certainly make it a bit harder for the Democrats to vote like they've been doing, and that's why so many are claiming it will cause voter suppression and benefit Republicans.
    Doesn't this law expand on the ability to vote early and via mail? It's only cut back if you look at what was allowed due to covid.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (04-13-2021), Jaw (04-27-2021), Tapate50 (04-09-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    And the biggest problem with the bill is that it's hijacking any discussion about the draft - back on topic please.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (04-09-2021)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    And the biggest problem with the bill is that it's hijacking any discussion about the draft - back on topic please.
    On this we can agree. There's a thread on this in another forum.

My apologies for my part in this thread derail.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (04-09-2021)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    The draft was taken out of Atlanta because of the law... right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OcalaBrave View Post
    The draft was taken out of Atlanta because of the law... right?
    There’s a thread in the politics section for it. Better understanding there
    Ivermectin Man

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-10-2021), salmagundy (04-09-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    First time I've seen us linked to Baez - love the tools, not a fan of the swing-and-miss concerns. If you're going with a bat early, you've got to take one that has a relatively unquestionable hit tool IMO - we had that other worldly power guy that simply couldn't make contact a few years ago in Cody Johnson, and I don't think we need to talk about how he turned out again.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-mlb-dr...eline-coverage
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-26-2021), rico43 (07-11-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,942 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    First time I've seen us linked to Baez - love the tools, not a fan of the swing-and-miss concerns. If you're going with a bat early, you've got to take one that has a relatively unquestionable hit tool IMO - we had that other worldly power guy that simply couldn't make contact a few years ago in Cody Johnson, and I don't think we need to talk about how he turned out again.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-mlb-dr...eline-coverage
    Amen to that. Swing-and-miss concerns rarely get better as a player moves up the ladder unless he's totally rebuilt. And you don't take guys in the first round to rebuild them.

Curious to see what approach they take. When in doubt about that, I always think "college pitcher" when I think of Anthopoulos. I haven't looked at his drafts from his time in Toronto, so I'm just spitballing when I make a statement like that. I could be totally wrong.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Amen to that. Swing-and-miss concerns rarely get better as a player moves up the ladder unless he's totally rebuilt. And you don't take guys in the first round to rebuild them.

Curious to see what approach they take. When in doubt about that, I always think "college pitcher" when I think of Anthopoulos. I haven't looked at his drafts from his time in Toronto, so I'm just spitballing when I make a statement like that. I could be totally wrong.
    I think "college pitcher" is more of a Wren M.O. than something that characterizes Anthopoulos' draft strategies. We don't yet have a lot on which to gauge him with the Braves, and the 2020 draft has to be viewed as a pretty big outlier, but the 2019 draft had a really nice mix of talent, with a guy picked in the third round that made me forgot about all the other selections from that draft.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I think "college pitcher" is more of a Wren M.O. than something that characterizes Anthopoulos' draft strategies. We don't yet have a lot on which to gauge him with the Braves, and the 2020 draft has to be viewed as a pretty big outlier, but the 2019 draft had a really nice mix of talent, with a guy picked in the third round that made me forgot about all the other selections from that draft.
    You could argue that Shuster was a guy they had the most solid info on... and thus made the most sense. I wouldn't peg him as a college guy yet.
    Ivermectin Man

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-27-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Seems to be some bats in that range with some upside. Don’t hate that
    Ivermectin Man

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-28-2021)