Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB Draft

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I've completely given up on investing any time whatsoever researching draft options and forming an opinion.

I wanted Kyle Lewis, and was pretty upset at the Anderson pick. We will never know what Lewis could have been without the freak knee injury, but the Anderson pick turned out very well.

I was ecstatic about the Wright pick, but he has been nothing but disappointing since, and is well on the road to Bustville.

I had absolutely no idea who Harris was, and now he's the next big thing.

There's no point in spending effort on these guys because we are never right about any of them.
    Yep.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    I tend to trust Kiley more with Braves draft rumors more than most with his previous time in the organization, even though AA kind of cleaned house on the draft side. Here's his new mock: https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/sto...r-kumar-rocker

24. Atlanta Braves
    Will Bednar, RHP, Mississippi State

Bednar has landing spots all over the 20s after a strong stretch run, including here to Atlanta. Schwellenbach, McGreevy and the college infielders (Black and Norby) also fit the specs here.

(Kiley also mentioned is being in on Bubba Chandler, who he has going 17 to Cincy)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-18-2021)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    A funny thing the draft is. The 2017 1st round draft seems to be a bust for a lot of the top picks that year. At least compared to expectations. I know the lost year has hurt some of them but most aren't performing well at all.

2016 draft is funny as well. Anderson has been the clear best pick so far in the top 10 of that class. What's even better is that in the first round overall the Dodgers managed to grab Lux and Smith with the 20th and 32nd pick overall. Both already playing at high levels for them. Dodgers really do mirror the 90's Braves in so many ways. Great at drafting, deep pockets, a ton of division titles and 1 ring...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Carp (06-18-2021), jpx7 (06-18-2021)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I tend to trust Kiley more with Braves draft rumors more than most with his previous time in the organization, even though AA kind of cleaned house on the draft side. Here's his new mock: https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/sto...r-kumar-rocker

24. Atlanta Braves
    Will Bednar, RHP, Mississippi State

Bednar has landing spots all over the 20s after a strong stretch run, including here to Atlanta. Schwellenbach, McGreevy and the college infielders (Black and Norby) also fit the specs here.

(Kiley also mentioned is being in on Bubba Chandler, who he has going 17 to Cincy)
    Bednar was incredible tonight in the CWS. 6IP 15K 1H and 1BB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    He was. This was pretty out of the norm though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Would have been nice to sneak off for the week and hang out in Cary - big chunk of talent there, and a lot of it is playing.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    A funny thing the draft is. The 2017 1st round draft seems to be a bust for a lot of the top picks that year. At least compared to expectations. I know the lost year has hurt some of them but most aren't performing well at all.

2016 draft is funny as well. Anderson has been the clear best pick so far in the top 10 of that class. What's even better is that in the first round overall the Dodgers managed to grab Lux and Smith with the 20th and 32nd pick overall. Both already playing at high levels for them. Dodgers really do mirror the 90's Braves in so many ways. Great at drafting, deep pockets, a ton of division titles and 1 ring...
    Another remarkable thing is the injuries and Tommy John surgeries to the other top pitchers in the 2016 draft class:
    Riley Pint (4th overall to Rockies) announced his retirement June 8 with a career 4-21, 5.58 record -- all in Class A or below. He'd been moved to the bullpen this season.
    A.J. Puk (6th to A's) had TJ surgery in 2018, a shoulder debridement and was moved to relief. But he reached the majors in 2019 and has thrown 3.1 shutout innings in his only 2021 appearance for the A's and is currently in AAA with an 11.02 ERA.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    New Pipeline mock -

24. Braves: Will Bednar, RHP, Mississippi State
    The same pitcher names keep coming up with the Braves: Chandler, Bednar, McGreevy, Schwellenbach and Saint Mary's left-hander Ky Bush. Atlanta may prefer Schwellenbach as a shortstop.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Very interesting take from a guy freshly out of the Astros scouting department: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/scouting...st-round-arms/

More so than the actual content, a few things about the evaluation process jump out at me...

1. He grades these guys based on a dollar value. This seems like a way to map them to a draft slot, as well as works to set up pool allotment to various draft strategies (saving on some guys to spend more on others).

2. He is very interested in fastball shape, almost more than velocity. His preference for the rising FA seems to me it could be opening up the door for sinking action to be undervalued.

3. The fact he is commenting on pitch shape leads me to assume he has access to Statcast data for these guys. How??

The guys he scouted in this piece...

Ty Madden
    Value: $4.5M = Pick 11
    Money quote: Prototypical starting pitcher in terms of frame/delivery, with plus velocity and plus shape to fastball to go with a slider that could be a difference maker.

Gunnar Hoglund
    Value: $3.25M = Pick 20
    Money quote: ...breaking ball is one of the best in the draft... Worries about the fastball in terms of velocity and pitch shape.

Gavin Williams
    Value: $2.75M = Pick 25
    Money quote: Good velo/bad shape guy who will need to maintain the giddy-up when he’s going every five days. Two impressive breaking balls in terms of spin and shape

I wonder how prevalent this preference to rising FAs is throughout MLB, and if any teams can fix the pitch shape.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-25-2021)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Very interesting take from a guy freshly out of the Astros scouting department: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/scouting...st-round-arms/

More so than the actual content, a few things about the evaluation process jump out at me...

1. He grades these guys based on a dollar value. This seems like a way to map them to a draft slot, as well as works to set up pool allotment to various draft strategies (saving on some guys to spend more on others).

2. He is very interested in fastball shape, almost more than velocity. His preference for the rising FA seems to me it could be opening up the door for sinking action to be undervalued.

3. The fact he is commenting on pitch shape leads me to assume he has access to Statcast data for these guys. How??

The guys he scouted in this piece...

Ty Madden
    Value: $4.5M = Pick 11
    Money quote: Prototypical starting pitcher in terms of frame/delivery, with plus velocity and plus shape to fastball to go with a slider that could be a difference maker.

Gunnar Hoglund
    Value: $3.25M = Pick 20
    Money quote: ...breaking ball is one of the best in the draft... Worries about the fastball in terms of velocity and pitch shape.

Gavin Williams
    Value: $2.75M = Pick 25
    Money quote: Good velo/bad shape guy who will need to maintain the giddy-up when he’s going every five days. Two impressive breaking balls in terms of spin and shape

I wonder how prevalent this preference to rising FAs is throughout MLB, and if any teams can fix the pitch shape.
    RE: #3. Most if not all the big time college baseball programs have the technology to accumulate Statcast data. Ole Miss and Texas definitely fit that bill...ECU has been successful of late, so it wouldn't surprise me if they have it as well. I would imagine the schools share the data with scouts for the sake of their players.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-25-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Keith Law's latest has us taking Nebraska RHP/SS Spencer Schwellenbach. Didn't say if we were taking him as a pitcher or everyday player. Also mentioned the possibility of 2B/3B Tyler Black from Wright State and 2B Connor Norby from East Carolina.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I know very little about this year's draft class, but Tyler Black routinely gets called one of the best pure hitters in the draft.

I also like Dominic Hamel simply because he has some of the best spin rates in the class.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Schwellenbach pitching now at the combine - highest readings I saw...

Fastball - 96 mph, 2359 rpm
    Sinker - 90 mph, 2388 rpm
    Breaking Ball - 82 mph 2571 rpm

6'1" was longest extension, was typically 5'8"-5'9"
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

CK86 (06-26-2021), jpx7 (06-25-2021), Tapate50 (06-25-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Bednar looking decent . 6ip 3 runs vs Texas.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,520 Posts
    Well, Bednar is throwing a no-hitter in the deciding game of the CWS.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Well, Bednar is throwing a no-hitter in the deciding game of the CWS.
    Saw something roll across the MLB Network scroll (or it might have been ESPN's earlier during lunch) that had him as the #24 prospect - wasn't a mock, but the number was at least interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Interesting coincidence....
    I’d be fine with it but it’s totally dependent on who else was there
    Last edited by Tapate50; 07-01-2021 at 06:37 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Latest Pipeline mock has us teetering between McGreevy and Ky Bush.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-dr...draft-coverage

Still think that if Harry Ford is there he's a no-brainer.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (07-01-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    FG latest mock:

24. Atlanta Braves
    Pick: Trey Sweeney, SS Eastern Illinois

The Braves have been attached to plenty of high school outfielders and a few college arms (especially Cusick), but also have a history of taking college middle infielders who check the statistical boxes per their model. Trey Sweeney does just that, with power, walks, and plenty of contact, although evaluators are mixed on his swing mechanics.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mock-draft-2-0-3/
    Ivermectin Man

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-06-2021)