Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring the SALT Deductions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts

Restoring the SALT Deductions

Kudos for AOC for pointing out how regressive such a step would be.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    How absurd that restoration of SALT limits and expansion of social programs were mentioned as priorities, but roads, bridges, broadband, power grid, ports, shipyards, and Flint never were. The Democratic party at it's best, wrapping crap in butcher paper and calling it steak.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Tax breaks for the rich.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Tax breaks for the rich.
    Definitely favors blue states, but something needed for middle class Californians.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Definitely favors blue states, but something needed for middle class Californians.
    You can always move to Texas.

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Why should not crazy states have to subsidize high tax crazy states?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    You can always move to Texas.
    A Californian moving to Texas… might as well paint a bulls eye on my back for the locals.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Why should not crazy states have to subsidize high tax crazy states?
    Stop buying products designed from our state :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Middle class Californians will be able to sell their house for 3x the value it would have in almost any other state. Many of them will retire by doing just that, then moving to a less screwed up state, buying at depressed prices, and telling the locals how they used to do things in the place they fled. SALT caps were basically a way for those other states to finance the bloated, real estate driven, California/Acela economy. The solution for those middle class Californians is to fix their state government.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Middle class Californians will be able to sell their house for 3x the value it would have in almost any other state. Many of them will retire by doing just that, then moving to a less screwed up state, buying at depressed prices, and telling the locals how they used to do things in the place they fled. SALT caps were basically a way for those other states to finance the bloated, real estate driven, California/Acela economy. The solution for those middle class Californians is to fix their state government.
    I'm just shocked by the pot of gold my mother's little house has turned into. And she doesn't even live in one of the fashionable coastal towns or cities.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-15-2021 at 10:36 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Btw, I want to note that I'm strongly in favor of the redistribution that takes place from rich blue states to the rest of the country. Which is why I oppose restoring the SALT deductions. Restoring them would also violate one of the maxims of good public finance policy: broaden the base and minimize the rates.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-15-2021 at 12:31 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I'm just shocked by the pot of gold my mother's little house has turned into. And she doesn't even live in one of the fashionable coastal towns or cities.
    A friend's parents bought their Santa Cruz home for $8,000 in 1968. They just sold for 1.2 million. And moved to Arizona. Fortunately for Arizona, they're deeply religious and abhor leftist social policy.
    Go get him!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    Do you realize if you don’t own a home in California it costs 3x as much as it would in any other state? BTW, the cost of living is inflated because of out of state younger folks who come here to work our high paying jobs. (This isn’t a problem, but let’s stop acting like blue state folk are a gang of pillaging pirates).

I get the concern with SALT deductions. I am not arguing it’s merits only that the people most hurt by it’s repeal are the middle class.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-16-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    There is something sort of ridiculous that someone in the middle class in California is required to pay a higher federal tax rate than a middle class person in Wyoming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Do you realize if you don’t own a home in California it costs 3x as much as it would in any other state? BTW, the cost of living is inflated because of out of state younger folks who come here to work our high paying jobs. (This isn’t a problem, but let’s stop acting like blue state folk are a gang of pillaging pirates).

I get the concern with SALT deductions. I am not arguing it’s merits only that the people most hurt by it’s repeal are the middle class.
    Seriously though, the solution is to do something about the supply of affordable housing. But that would piss off people who are already sitting on all that valuable real estate.

I have a friend (an MD) who moved from Indiana to San Francisco about ten years ago. He was shocked at the cost of housing. Had to adjust his expectations down in a hurry.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-15-2021 at 01:15 PM.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    Seriously though, the solution is to do something about the supply of affordable housing. But that would piss off people who are already sitting on all that valuable real estate.

I have a friend (an MD) who moved from Indiana to San Francisco about ten years ago. He was shocked at the cost of housing. Had to adjust his expectations down in a hurry.
    Absolutely. I’m not sure what the solution would be but you have clearly identified the problem statement. It’s a problem across every single Californian metro area. It would solve a lot of problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

I do. The same friend I mentioned above moved to Georgia a few years ago for that reason.

Your state government sucks. You have a painful combination of Hollywood and Silicone Valley providing absurd incomes to people with little connection to reality. Great weather. Beautiful geography. A culture that pretends to be eco conscious while many live in mansions with swimming pools in the middle of a desert and fret about suburban sprawl.

There isn't an easy answer. Maybe continue to jack up taxes on 7 figure incomes while getting some of the loonies out of state government. The problem with that is that so much of your population has become loonie in it's own right. Have you thought of moving to Arizona?
    Go get him!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    I do. The same friend I mentioned above moved to Georgia a few years ago for that reason.

Your state government sucks. You have a painful combination of Hollywood and Silicone Valley providing absurd incomes to people with little connection to reality. Great weather. Beautiful geography. A culture that pretends to be eco conscious while many live in mansions with swimming pools in the middle of a desert and fret about suburban sprawl.

There isn't an easy answer. Maybe continue to jack up taxes on 7 figure incomes while getting some of the loonies out of state government. The problem with that is that so much of your population has become loonie in it's own right. Have you thought of moving to Arizona?
    This is such a detailed observation and confident conclusion about a state that’s painfully obvious you don’t know anything about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    This is such a detailed observation and confident conclusion about a state that’s painfully obvious you don’t know anything about.
    It was intended to be sympathetic to people like you who are suffering from a combination of factors that are mostly beyond your control.

What part of my observation was wrong?
    Go get him!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    It was intended to be sympathetic to people like you who are suffering from a combination of factors that are mostly beyond your control.

What part of my observation was wrong?
    You basically just cited conservative talking points I have heard from my Utah based parents for years. Hollywood elites. Tech. Crazy liberals. Californians suffering. The only thing you missed was illegal immigrants. It would be like me saying “if only the South would stop being fat and racist”.

California is amazing. I moved here from Utah in my 20’s and got a world class education from the state funded UC school system (the best public school system in the world by a long shot btw). My wife has had an amazing experience in that same UC school system in her PhD program.

I work in Silicon Valley for a company that’s bent over backwards to make sure I am happy and satisfied in my work. The reason that company has to do that is because my LinkedIn is full of job opportunities from Tesla, Facebook, Google, etc. all companies just down the road so to speak. There is a similar thing in Los Angeles. California created the best job market in the entire world.

There are challenges here. Housing is too expensive and it’s pushed out a lot of people in important jobs (teachers, police, nurses, construction workers etc.) who can’t afford to keep up. The state and local governments aren’t very good at solving these problems so they raised taxes to pay these people more and to try to fund these state pensions. SALT deductions were bad solution to go about addressing. But it was pretty successful in getting money into the pockets of middle class Californians to make sure they aren’t as disproportionately taxed as people in other states.

And then you have the rest of the state that isn’t LA or the Bay Area, that also has its own issues that are way different from the metro areas that have higher populations, bigger economies, and more geography than the majority of the country.

While I appreciate you characterizing us as being able to sell our million dollar homes so we can escape our tyrannical government that forces us to pay high taxes to fund George Soros utopia, I don’t think you quite have it figured out.