Thread: SUNDAY HAPPY 4TH TO YOU ALL, MINORS FINAL; McSteen Shines As Well

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

SUNDAY HAPPY 4TH TO YOU ALL, MINORS FINAL; McSteen Shines As Well

Mississippi was a so-so 13-12 in May, but 18-10 since/

Gwinnett was 14-10 in May after starting 9-3, swept in a six game series by Nashville. Have gone 9-19 since. That's 14-26 since the red-hot start.

----------------

SUNDAY'S MINORS SCOREBOARD

All Times Eastern

CLASS AAA

Durham 5, Gwinnett 4

SP: De la Cruz 0.2 IP, 2 H, 4 ER, 4 BB, 1 K, HR
    Arano 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K
    Roark 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K
    Flaa 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K
    Horacek 1.2 IP
    LP: Y.Lopez 0.1 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K

Goins 1-4, HR (2nd), 2 RBI
    Camargo 2-4, R, RBI
    Waters 3-4, 2 R, 2 SB (batting 1st)
    Pache 0-4, 3 K (batting 2nd)

CLASS AA

Mississippi 6, Montgomery 2

WP: Elder (1-0) 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 5 K
    Bro.Wilson 1 IP
    White 1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
    Bacon 1 IP, 2H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
    Hernandez 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Rijo 1-3, HR (7th), RBI
    Jenista 1-4, 2B, R
    Langeliers 2-4, R, RBI
    Neslony 2-5, 2B, R, 2 RBI

ADVANCED CLASS A

Rome 9, Wilmington 4

WP: Tarnok (3-1) 5 IP, 4 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 3 HR
    Daniels 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K
    Diaz (Save, 5) 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K

Milligan 3-5, 2B, 2 R
    Josephina 3-4, 2B, 2 R, RBI
    Michel 2-4, 2B, 3 R, SB
    Franklin V 3-5, HR (11th), 4 RBI
    Moritz 3-4, 2B, 2 RBI

CLASS A

Augusta 3, Columbia 1

WP: McSteen (3-0) 6 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 K
    Barger 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
    E.Rodriguez (Save, 2) 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K

R.Rodriguez 1-3, R, RBI
    Stephens 2-4, HR (5th), RBI

COMPLEX ROOKIE

GC Braves idle
    Last edited by rico43; 07-05-2021 at 12:24 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-04-2021), jpx7 (07-04-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,326 Posts
    Franklin with another HR.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Franklin with another HR.
    That's a .916 OPS now for him... pretty sweet!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    That's a .916 OPS now for him... pretty sweet!
    Yep. Only thing that concerns me is the K-Rate. Still young though.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I've noticed that as well. Franklin's short-sample K-rate really elevated the issue. He struck 10 times in the week preceding today's game. His rate was much stronger prior to last week. He could be working on driving the ball more and getting a better launch rate, which could conceivably lead to a higher K-rate. He's really been a pleasant surprise.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-05-2021), jpx7 (07-05-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,707 Posts
    Elder having a strong game after a rough AA debut. Can he be successful without striking guys out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,707 Posts
    Waters 3-4, 2 sb
    Maybe he's about to get rolling

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    McSteen is older for Low-A, but this is his first year in a major league organization. Played four years at Nebraska, graduating in 2018. No record of him playing anywhere in 2019, but in 2020, he pitched very well for Joliet in an independent league around Chicago (2020 City of Champions Cup). Had a rough start to this season in Rome, but has done well for Augusta.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    He's a 22 yo at high A. I'm honestly not that excited by him. I know he was off for about two years. I think his bat is going to have to be super special because I think he's going to have to play LF. No way he has the arm for RF and Most think he's not a CF. Not a CF IMO with Pache, waters or even Acuna. Maybe he's a trade chip. For me, I'm going to want to see him at a 900 OPS in AA to really consider him.

I haven't watched any, but my boy Langeliers is sitting at a 889 OPS in AA with elite defense at catcher. That should be more hyped by far IMO. Now, I am only box score scouting here so it is certainly possible that watching the games people are seeing something else in both players.

I'd still like SL to get a full year in AA and then time in AAA before coming to ATL next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,707 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    He's a 22 yo at high A. I'm honestly not that excited by him. I know he was off for about two years. I think his bat is going to have to be super special because I think he's going to have to play LF. No way he has the arm for RF and Most think he's not a CF. Not a CF IMO with Pache, waters or even Acuna. Maybe he's a trade chip. For me, I'm going to want to see him at a 900 OPS in AA to really consider him.

I haven't watched any, but my boy Langeliers is sitting at a 889 OPS in AA with elite defense at catcher. That should be more hyped by far IMO. Now, I am only box score scouting here so it is certainly possible that watching the games people are seeing something else in both players.

I'd still like SL to get a full year in AA and then time in AAA before coming to ATL next year.
    Franklin 22 at A+
    Langeliers 23 at AA

Franklin likely to join him, soon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

Isn't 22 about the average age for high A ball players? Also, this season was his first taste or pro ball ever... I think you're selling the guy a bit short. Plenty of people have been hyping Langeliers... pretty sure he's been more hyped than Franklin all year by a lot.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I think you're basically correct when it comes to the comparison of Langeliers and Franklin V. One of the reasons for that is Langeliers was a high performer throughout his college career while Franklin tailed off as a sophomore and was injured as a junior at Michigan. But Franklin V got a lot of accolades earning spots on all-freshman teams in 2018 (usually second-team) and who knows how he would have done if he hadn't been injured and there had been a full college season in 2020.

Given how the minor leagues look in 2021, Franklin is actually below the average age of players in the High-A East by a year. Add to that this is--as you say--his first year in pro ball. He was at the alternate site last year, so he probably worked out some kinks getting ready for full-time wood bat ball, but that wasn't competition. I was a bit surprised given that he hadn't played at all in 2020 that the Braves started him where they did and he struggled mightily in May. That all changed in June, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to promote him. He's at least two years away from contributing at the major league level, so what's the rush? I will say that he does look like a bit of a find. Both he and Strider were head-scratchers to me when they were drafted last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think you're basically correct when it comes to the comparison of Langeliers and Franklin V. One of the reasons for that is Langeliers was a high performer throughout his college career while Franklin tailed off as a sophomore and was injured as a junior at Michigan. But Franklin V got a lot of accolades earning spots on all-freshman teams in 2018 (usually second-team) and who knows how he would have done if he hadn't been injured and there had been a full college season in 2020.

Given how the minor leagues look in 2021, Franklin is actually below the average age of players in the High-A East by a year. Add to that this is--as you say--his first year in pro ball. He was at the alternate site last year, so he probably worked out some kinks getting ready for full-time wood bat ball, but that wasn't competition. I was a bit surprised given that he hadn't played at all in 2020 that the Braves started him where they did and he struggled mightily in May. That all changed in June, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to promote him. He's at least two years away from contributing at the major league level, so what's the rush? I will say that he does look like a bit of a find. Both he and Strider were head-scratchers to me when they were drafted last year.
    I certainly agree that there's no reason to rush him.