So Nate Jones won’t close out game 5 of the World Series this year. For us
    Coppy

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    The #Braves today selected the contract of RHP Carl Edwards Jr., optioned RHP Edgar Santana to Triple-A Gwinnett and designated RHP Nate Jones for assignment.
    I wouldn't mind seeing more of Santana, but I like Edwards and this may help our bullpen situation. The removal of Nate Jones from our roster will most assuredly help our bullpen situation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    This is a dumb question and maybe in the wrong place, but I've been without a TV, more or less, for the whole season.

How often is Contreras expected to catch going forward? 3/5? 4/5? Or do you see it shaking out some other way?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing more of Santana, but I like Edwards and this may help our bullpen situation. The removal of Nate Jones from our roster will most assuredly help our bullpen situation.
    I still think Santana will be good this year but he may need some more time in the minors to continue getting more comfortable after basically a 2+ year layoff due to suspension and TJs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I still think Santana will be good this year but he may need some more time in the minors to continue getting more comfortable after basically a 2+ year layoff due to suspension and TJs
    I'd just give a few more weeks for the PEDs to kick back in.
    Ivermectin Man

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-07-2021), zbhargrove (05-07-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    The #Braves today selected the contract of RHP Carl Edwards Jr., optioned RHP Edgar Santana to Triple-A Gwinnett and designated RHP Nate Jones for assignment.
    Not sure I can handle Edwards in the same pen with Jackson - when Newk comes back up that threesome has a legitimate shot at breaking the record for most batters walked by a pen in one game.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Acuna RF
    Freeman 1B
    Ozuna LF
    Albies 2B
    Riley 3B
    Contreras C
    Swanson SS
    Pache CF
    Morton P
    Get off my lawn!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    Maybe FF should bat lead off to get him going. Clearly that part of the order makes you a better a hitter.
    Coppy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-07-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Of course this is the series Harper and Segura return from injury.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    This is a dumb question and maybe in the wrong place, but I've been without a TV, more or less, for the whole season.

How often is Contreras expected to catch going forward? 3/5? 4/5? Or do you see it shaking out some other way?
    I don't think they've said anything specifically, but I'd be shocked if it weren't a 4/5 games type deal with Contreras.

I expect Flowers to replace Mathis by June as the backup C, and I doubt that changes anything as far as playing time goes. What will be interesting is when/if TDA is ready in July, and how they will share the position assuming Contreras is still going as well as we all hope he will be.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-07-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think Contreras can catch 4/5 with that modified crouch. That said, ATL summer could knock that down to 3/5.

Smyly will get to pitch to the other guy until he has a bad outing. You know Smyly has a personal catcher now, given the manager.

Pache is still not inspiring confidence. Was he rushed? He's not Christian Bethancourt, right? Do I want Inciarte back healthy?

Riley has been hitless for a while. Really want to see him drive the ball. I'm not comfortable with singles hitter, high OBP, Riley. I don't buy it. I think that OBP is going to come down hard and we need some slugging.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Of course this is the series Harper and Segura return from injury.
    Yeah, but we just missed Soto and Scherzer and we're gonna miss Wheeler. We've actually hit Nola better than we've hit Wheeler, with a few exceptions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I don't think they've said anything specifically, but I'd be shocked if it weren't a 4/5 games type deal with Contreras.

I expect Flowers to replace Mathis by June as the backup C, and I doubt that changes anything as far as playing time goes. What will be interesting is when/if TDA is ready in July, and how they will share the position assuming Contreras is still going as well as we all hope he will be.
    I say we play him until his tongue hangs out. He's a strong young man and we have six years of control.

Give the scrub C Ynoa, hit Ynoa 5th or 6th and let the scrub C hit ninth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think Contreras can catch 4/5 with that modified crouch. That said, ATL summer could knock that down to 3/5.

Smyly will get to pitch to the other guy until he has a bad outing. You know Smyly has a personal catcher now, given the manager.

Pache is still not inspiring confidence. Was he rushed? He's not Christian Bethancourt, right? Do I want Inciarte back healthy?

Riley has been hitless for a while. Really want to see him drive the ball. I'm not comfortable with singles hitter, high OBP, Riley. I don't buy it. I think that OBP is going to come down hard and we need some slugging.
    I feel like Riley has been pretty unlucky lately. In the Washington series, he was 0-12 with only 2 k, so 0/10 on BABIP. Some of those I remember being stung.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-07-2021)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

TDA’s not gonna be back in July. Best case maybe we see him sometime in September.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

Contreras should be able to handle a full workload behind the plate.

It’s definitely fair to be concerned about Pache. There is a belief by some in baseball that truly elite prospects don’t fail at any level at any time. If nothing else Pache is showing that he’s not truly elite. I’m not overly impressed with his defense at the position either. He may have Andruw talent on defense but I’m doubtful the work ethic is there.

Heredia is who we want to get back in CF not Inciarte. I’d question if Inciarte’s even capable of playing the position at this point. His legs are shot. Inciarte needs to be limited to low leverage PH appearances and being put out in LF to make our late game LF defense not completely embarrassing.

Riley is doing fine.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    Contreras should be able to handle a full workload behind the plate.

It’s definitely fair to be concerned about Pache. There is a belief by some in baseball that truly elite prospects don’t fail at any level at any time. If nothing else Pache is showing that he’s not truly elite. I’m not overly impressed with his defense at the position either. He may have Andruw talent on defense but I’m doubtful the work ethic is there.

Heredia is who we want to get back in CF not Inciarte. I’d question if Inciarte’s even capable of playing the position at this point. His legs are shot. Inciarte needs to be limited to low leverage PH appearances and being put out in LF to make our late game LF defense not completely embarrassing.

Riley is doing fine.
    What's your threshold for "failure", though? I'm not saying he's going to be a super-star, or even that he's "ready", but he's also only played 16 games and had 49 PAs.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    I don't know that many ever expected Pache to be an elite hitter. But if he can be an average hitter and a GG center fielder, he becomes a very valuable player. Way too early to pass any judgments on the defense, which has been good but is hard to measure at all, much less in small samples.

What would suggest that he has a bad work ethic?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to McCann'sCans For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-07-2021)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    What's your threshold for "failure", though? I'm not saying he's going to be a super-star, or even that he's "ready", but he's also only played 16 games and had 49 PAs.
    Well yeah because he’s already been sent down once this year because he couldn’t hit. That’s failing. Like Riley he can work it out and improve but we’ve gotten our first look at Pache’s ceiling.

I think the thinking with elite prospects is they are always ready. Like a Furcal a Druw a Soto or an Acuña. The prospect we currently have that fits that description currently is Michael Harris.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    Well yeah because he’s already been sent down once this year because he couldn’t hit. That’s failing. Like Riley he can work it out and improve but we’ve gotten our first look at Pache’s ceiling.

I think the thinking with elite prospects is they are always ready. Like a Furcal a Druw a Soto or an Acuña. The prospect we currently have that fits that description currently is Michael Harris.
    Freeman stunk it up almost as bad in his inaugural twenty-game stint back in 2010. Was that "failure"? Was he not an elite prospect? Has he not become an elite player (current slump notwithstanding)?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."