Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT- 5/7/21- Phillies at Braves. MAX CAPACITY

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts

GDT- 5/7/21- Phillies at Braves. MAX CAPACITY

There should be a whole lot of hootin' and hollerin' tonight as the Braves usher in the post-COVID era.

41,000 screaming fans. Wish I could make it, as I am fully vaxxed, but alas, I will not be there.

Phillies- Zach Eflin.

Braves- Charlie Morton

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Early GDT. Do we have precedence on this...
    Coppy

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Early GDT. Do we have precedence on this...
    Lots. You can’t make a GDT without a lineup. Multiple GDTs are also not allowed. Last time someone made a second GDT we lost the NLCS.

**** like this is how 10 game losing streaks are started.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-07-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    How soon before we get newcomb and Martin back in the pen? I think it could really solidify the pen. Gotta hope one of our scrap rh relievers come on though... still think wright or Wilson should be tried out in this role

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    How soon before we get newcomb and Martin back in the pen? I think it could really solidify the pen. Gotta hope one of our scrap rh relievers come on though... still think wright or Wilson should be tried out in this role
    Well Newcomb is healthy enough to be pitching in AAA so who knows with him.

Martin pitched on Wednesday for Gwinnett and gave up 2 runs in 2/3 innings. 2K's and 0 BBs. He is scheduled to pitch again tomorrow so hopefully it won't be long for Martin.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-07-2021)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Did anyone see anything about Martin's Wednesday outing beyond the top-line numbers? It would be comforting to know that he gave up two runs on soft contact. Hopefully, he puts up a good outing tomorrow and then is back in Atlanta by the start of the week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    Did anyone see anything about Martin's Wednesday outing beyond the top-line numbers? It would be comforting to know that he gave up two runs on soft contact. Hopefully, he puts up a good outing tomorrow and then is back in Atlanta by the start of the week.
    50 said he gave up 2 singles followed by 2 Ks, I think. Next guy surrendered the runs which counted to Martin

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I think someone mentioned it was 2 singles then 2 Ks then he was pulled, which probably happened because he was on a strict pitch limit of around 20. The next arm allowed the runs to score. I would put exactly 0 stock into any numbers he puts up while rehabbing. If he’s healthy he’s the best RHP in the BP.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-07-2021), jpx7 (05-07-2021), UNCBlue012 (05-07-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    I only followed on Gameday and according to that feed, he allowed a soft single and single and then proceeded to strike out two guys. Chasen Bradford came in and allowed consecutive doubles with the runs being charged to Martin. Minor league Gameday doesn't provide pitch velocities.

I see Martin as the key guy. If he comes back healthy, that changes the bullpen pecking order dramatically and makes it much stronger. I don't know on Newcomb. Biggest tease since my high school girlfriend.

PS--Enscheff's point is right on the mark. Rehab is just that. You send the guy out there to test the recovery from whatever ailment he was experiencing. It's probably less about sharpness than it is about physicality.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 05-07-2021 at 10:37 AM.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Well Newcomb is healthy enough to be pitching in AAA so who knows with him.

Martin pitched on Wednesday for Gwinnett and gave up 2 runs in 2/3 innings. 2K's and 0 BBs. He is scheduled to pitch again tomorrow so hopefully it won't be long for Martin.
    I'm trying to think if I've ever seen a pitcher as bipolar as Newcomb from outing to outing. He's capable of a no hitter or 8 walks in 2 2/3 or a clean inning or getting rocked any day.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I only followed on Gameday and according to that feed, he allowed a soft single and single and then proceeded to strike out two guys. Chasen Bradford came in and allowed consecutive doubles with the runs being charged to Martin. Minor league Gameday doesn't provide pitch velocities.

I see Martin as the key guy. If he comes back healthy, that changes the bullpen pecking order dramatically and makes it much stronger. I don't know on Newcomb. Biggest tease since my high school girlfriend.
    I think they were leaning heavily on Martin moving up the food chain when they let MM and Greene go. He seems capable of filling that role, as long as he's able to put on a uniform.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-07-2021), jpx7 (05-07-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I think they were leaning heavily on Martin moving up the food chain when they let MM and Greene go. He seems capable of filling that role, as long as he's able to put on a uniform.
    He's better suited to high leverage situations than is Luke Jackson. I think Jackson can be a helpful piece of the bullpen, but I just don't want to see him out there late with the game on the line. Jackson is a guy whose raw stuff translates only inconsistently to performance.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Braves really missed an opportunity starting Freed on max capacity night.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (05-07-2021)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I'm trying to think if I've ever seen a pitcher as bipolar as Newcomb from outing to outing. He's capable of a no hitter or 8 walks in 2 2/3 or a clean inning or getting rocked any day.
    A couple of things. Newcomb has been extremely unlucky on balls in play this year. And it's hard for me to take any numbers in 2020 serious especially when Newcomb had all of 13 innings. Combining 18/19 and Newcomb had the 3rd lowest Barrel% against among qualified pitchers. His wOBACON (basically wOBA but only counts balls in play) was 28th and his expected wOBACON was 14th.

Suffice it to say that Newk is hard to actually hit and and I feel confident in that staying true going forward.

The obvious issue is the walks. They are horrible to put it nicely. And what relation his lack of ability to consistently throw strikes increases his ability to get poor contact I don't know.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-07-2021), jpx7 (05-07-2021)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    A couple of things. Newcomb has been extremely unlucky on balls in play this year. And it's hard for me to take any numbers in 2020 serious especially when Newcomb had all of 13 innings. Combining 18/19 and Newcomb had the 3rd lowest Barrel% against among qualified pitchers. His wOBACON (basically wOBA but only counts balls in play) was 28th and his expected wOBACON was 14th.

Suffice it to say that Newk is hard to actually hit and and I feel confident in that staying true going forward.

The obvious issue is the walks. They are horrible to put it nicely. And what relation his lack of ability to consistently throw strikes increases his ability to get poor contact I don't know.
    Any stat that includes BACON in the name automatically has credibility in my book.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

thewupk (05-07-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

If batters are shocked to see a strike, chances are it will be hard to hit that strike?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-07-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Braves really missed an opportunity starting Freed on max capacity night.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    WhoaBacon is now my new favorite stat.
    Coppy

27. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (05-07-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Speaking of bacon, he's now at Mississippi. I think he's got a chance to be a good reliever

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    The #Braves today selected the contract of RHP Carl Edwards Jr., optioned RHP Edgar Santana to Triple-A Gwinnett and designated RHP Nate Jones for assignment.